Another big thumbs up for MotorhomeWIFI (1 Viewer)

No-Dun-Roamin’

Free Member
Apr 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Aspire 205
Exp
Since 2014
Good morning everyone, I have not been having my daily dose of MotorhomeFun over the last few weeks since I have mostly in hospital during that period.
But I do need to let fellow funsters know that one very overwhelming experience has been my lifeline throughout by having my own MiFi with me to give me my secure WiFi connection. The 4g phone signal was variable in the various wards I was in. I took my little HUAWEI MiFi out from the MoHo. And I just let it hang from a mini usb charger. Well everywhere I went I had 5 bars of WiFi. This truly was a lifeline. I had just put a new EE monthly rolling sim in and had 30g plus to play with for £15 per month. So no restriction and I could keep in touch and do essentials.
After a while google who are no doubt always trying to pin down new and roaming devices came up with a message saying prove you are not a robot, to continue to use their service. I did this then there was a flurry of activity where they were no doubt trying to find trackers to identify me. I got an alert to say this was going on. My Apple devices then disconnected from the WiFi saying unusual level of activity and advised going into privacy mode, but not to do so without sufficient expert IT guidance. Google and Apple security policies clashing.
Who to turn to ? Well only one person I could think of was Adam at MotorhomeWIFI. I sent him an email explaining what had happened and next day he sent me a very comprehensive explanation of what was happening and alternative solutions. Customer service truly second to none.
I know you can get the components cheaper on Amazon and flea bay, but for any extra cost to get the bundled kit from MotorhomeWIFI, the small additional cost gives you access to this incredible level of ongoing customer support and service. I have had a few technical questions in the past to which Adam responded promptly and competently with great clarity.
So as you can see that I for one am a great advocate for MotorhomeWIFI and wish them the greatest of success and that potential customers who try to save a few £’s, think twice, if they want this kind of customer support. Had I bought components separately and put them together on my own, I would have been high and dry.
Many thanks Adam and a big thumbs up from me.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
No complaints at all with our system from the company, which we had fitted by the dealer before picking up our van. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
Another plus from us (y)! Their kit fitted by our dealer. Smarty sim installed and it worked faultlessly throughout some very remote parts of Scotland this past month.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Does coverage still not depend on the sim though? I am trying to understand how the service is any different from using your phone?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does coverage still not depend on the sim though? I am trying to understand how the service is any different from using your phone?
There's a lot of variables. In an area with poor reception such as a building with thick walls you can place a MiFi in a window and it may get a better signal. Some MiFi have external connections you can attach an antenna to and put this against the window for what should be a better signal.

But some high end phones can out perform the average MiFi as they have very good internal antenna. The better MiFi are 2*2 MiMo which means they have two antenna but some phones are 4*4 MiMo and use 4 antenna which is potentially better. But it depends of course on how good the signal is where the phone is being used.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
There's a lot of variables. In an area with poor reception such as a building with thick walls you can place a MiFi in a window and it may get a better signal. Some MiFi have external connections you can attach an antenna to and put this against the window for what should be a better signal.

But some high end phones can out perform the average MiFi as they have very good internal antenna. The better MiFi are 2*2 MiMo which means they have two antenna but some phones are 4*4 MiMo and use 4 antenna which is potentially better. But it depends of course on how good the signal is where the phone is being used.
That's very helpful.

Are you able to say what type of aerial is in my Samsung S9 by comparison with my Motorhome WiFi roof aerial? Is the roof aerial always going to be vastly superior?

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Big thumbs up today.

Couldn’t get the MiFi to work, so left a message on their technical helpline. A short time later we got a text message, but the suggestions didn’t help. I left another message asking for a call back tomorrow, but was called within half hour of leaving to message…..and that was after closing time.

I was talked through the procedure, which I would never have worked out myself.

It was a Smarty issue and not the systems. Smarty couldn’t help, but Motorhome Wifi could…… (y)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Forgot to say, we’re in France. It appears Smarty sometimes have problems with data connections whilst roaming. 🤔

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We bought a TPLink off the internet, then got a EE SIM card on contract, up to 150g a month for 15 quid and it will run five devices. Up to now it’s been excellent.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We bought a TPLink off the internet, then got a EE SIM card on contract, up to 150g a month for 15 quid and it will run five devices. Up to now it’s been excellent.
But your Data will be restricted whilst roaming abroad, probably to 12gb. (y)

JinxJetJock

Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 A class
Exp
Good morning everyone, I have not been having my daily dose of MotorhomeFun over the last few weeks since I have mostly in hospital during that period.
But I do need to let fellow funsters know that one very overwhelming experience has been my lifeline throughout by having my own MiFi with me to give me my secure WiFi connection. The 4g phone signal was variable in the various wards I was in. I took my little HUAWEI MiFi out from the MoHo. And I just let it hang from a mini usb charger. Well everywhere I went I had 5 bars of WiFi. This truly was a lifeline. I had just put a new EE monthly rolling sim in and had 30g plus to play with for £15 per month. So no restriction and I could keep in touch and do essentials.
After a while google who are no doubt always trying to pin down new and roaming devices came up with a message saying prove you are not a robot, to continue to use their service. I did this then there was a flurry of activity where they were no doubt trying to find trackers to identify me. I got an alert to say this was going on. My Apple devices then disconnected from the WiFi saying unusual level of activity and advised going into privacy mode, but not to do so without sufficient expert IT guidance. Google and Apple security policies clashing.
Who to turn to ? Well only one person I could think of was Adam at MotorhomeWIFI. I sent him an email explaining what had happened and next day he sent me a very comprehensive explanation of what was happening and alternative solutions. Customer service truly second to none.
I know you can get the components cheaper on Amazon and flea bay, but for any extra cost to get the bundled kit from MotorhomeWIFI, the small additional cost gives you access to this incredible level of ongoing customer support and service. I have had a few technical questions in the past to which Adam responded promptly and competently with great clarity.
So as you can see that I for one am a great advocate for MotorhomeWIFI and wish them the greatest of success and that potential customers who try to save a few £’s, think twice, if they want this kind of customer support. Had I bought components separately and put them together on my own, I would have been high and dry.
Many thanks Adam and a big thumbs up from me.
Que?

Aug 25, 2020
Sevenoaks, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t 588
Exp
Since 2020
We're with O2 and have 60Gb data per month but they restrict this to 25Gb per month in Europe.

Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
Since July 2020
Solwise is also worth a shout here. Great service from the very knowledgeable Steve.
I have a Teltonika RUT950 paired with a Poynting 2 in 1 MIMO. RMS also scratches my IT when not in the motorhome.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I have also called on Motorhome WiFi in the past for help with problems with my iBoost system. They have also been quick to respond with easy to follow instructions.

As for best mobile deal when roaming, my wife has a deal with Sky that lets her bank any unused monthly data. So when at home she just uses the home wifi and banks several months of data, and of course there's no roaming data use in the UK. That means when we go away she has 10s of Gbs of data banked which we can then use abroad. And there is no fair-use limit with that package. I'm probably going to swap over to that deal as my deal with 3 does have a fair-use restriction and I exceeded it 2 weeks into September. Of course Sky may introduce a fair-use policy next year and/or start charging for overseas use. But so might 3 and all the others that haven't yet.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
Please don’t forget that quite a few sim providers have recently changed their roaming policy to charge for usage in Europe, with a few more to follow I would think. They are blaming Brexit? Personally I think it just another excuse to rip the customer off.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
Please don’t forget that quite a few sim providers have recently changed their roaming policy to charge for usage in Europe, with a few more to follow I would think. They are blaming Brexit? Personally I think it just another excuse to rip the customer off.
As far as I'm aware, EU rules prevent roaming charges. As we're now outside the EU the prohibition no longer applies. It seems that phone companies are taking advantage of Brexit to bring back roaming charges.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My data goes faster over in France. 🤷‍♂️

Not using to stream tv or alike, just emails and research / booking for next stopover……and on here for a while of course.

2gb used in 3 days.🤔

Jul 12, 2021
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 194
Exp
2000 in some capacity
Forgot to say, we’re in France. It appears Smarty sometimes have problems with data connections whilst roaming. 🤔
We’ve just come over to France on Tuesday. Had poor wifi coverage from our Moho Wifi with EE sim. This is what my darling wife did.
- searched EE “help” forum for best network providers which were 1. Orange F and 2. Bouygues Telecom
- the Moho Wifi had automatically connected to the second one.
- downloaded the Huawei hiLinkapp to her phone ( to be able to manually change provider on the Moho Wifi box.)
- simply changing the network to Orange F made a world of difference.

Hope this helps someone 🤔

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Our contract is with Smarty, 30gb for £10 per month, but restricted to 12gb when roaming……used to be 19gb. 🤷‍♂️
I notice that Smarty also have a 60 consecutive days rule, ie no more than, have you fallen foul of that?

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I notice that Smarty also have a 60 consecutive days rule, ie no more than, have you fallen foul of that?

No. We’re not in a position to do that sort of time out of the UK…..yet. Family commitments and ageing In-laws. About 3 weeks is the best we can hope for, but will be looking to do longer in the future. (y)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
As far as I'm aware, EU rules prevent roaming charges. As we're now outside the EU the prohibition no longer applies. It seems that phone companies are taking advantage of Brexit to bring back roaming charges.
And there’s the truth!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Having my motorhome WiFi fitted on Friday :dance2::dance2: I’ve got an EE sim tho out of a EE Wi-Fi thingy and I’m using that as opposed to the smarty sim as we can gift it data from our huge phone allowances👍

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Been away for 9 weeks. The two of us can just about cope with sharing my EE 30gb per month. No streaming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back