Another battery question. (1 Viewer)

May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Yesterday when trying to start van found battery flat. Called RAC who jump started us and said we need to replace battery.Test report attached.
Question is, we had used van for week and returned last weekend. Trip about 700 miles, no problems. . We may have switched charger to leisure battery and don't remember switching it back. Would that mean that engine battery was being depleted and not recharged by long journey. Or does it default to charging engine battery after coming off EHU?

Attachments

• 11997115-20210912-13-28-58.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I am sure that there is no way in which the charging of the vehicle battery by the alternator can be switched off by the converter.
So your 700 miles would have been putting a charge into the starter battery all the time you were driving and probably managed to get enough into it so it started when you needed it to. As soon as parked up the battery would soon loose charge as the report shows it is down to a bit more than 50% of original capacity and less than 12v which will finish a poor battery off in no time.
If you have alarm and tracker this will lead to a greater rate of discharge.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The test report is meaningless they tested a flat battery.
I would expect it to charge from the engine whatever the charger is switched to. Easy to check with a voltmeter across the battery the volts should rise with the engine running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Thanks for your response. He did run it for a while before re-testing it and that is when he came up with the failed result with the comment it was not taking as much charge as it should.

He also tightened a loose nut on the back of the alternator He did not have a suitable replacement battery on board but did recommended that we went for an AGM replacement. Not knowing the history of the existing battery I am thinking of renewing it to avoid a problem again. Have found an AGM replacement at £155 delivered with a 5 year warranty. Spec 95 Ampere Hours CCA (SAE) 900.

OP
OP
C
May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
What would you recommend for an Autosleeper on a Peugeot chassis with a 2.2 engine. Its Mr Carolina replying.

Thanks.

OP
OP
C
May 28, 2021
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
would it be easy enough to fit, if we couldn't get it to Halfords.( if it didn't start again)
Is it just a matter of straight swap or Would it need registering with the engine system, charger whatever?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Should be OK try not to leave it disconnected for more than 15 min. After fitting leave for at least 5 min before turning the ignition on, then turn on the ignition leave a couple of min then turn off.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I recently fitted a Yuasa 5000 in my van 5 year warranty brought from Halfords with a Halfords trade card it was cheaper than anywhere else. You can apply for the card online they don't check if you are trade.

Already had a normal Halfords Account, so I just logged in and applied for a trade card. It gives a list of trades and at the bottom is ‘Other’. Ticked that as I do have ‘Other’ trades and application accepted. (y)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Just had an email from Halfords……need to take proof of trade to local store to activate the trade card. :(

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Easy enough to make a letterhead or card on your PC but they don't normally ask for it. They just check their email & give you a card.
I’ll drop in and see what happens. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back