Another bad news thread for LPG (1 Viewer)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The closest LPG to us is/was Chieveley services at J13 of the M4, but they’ve not had any since February. Called the forecourt today to ask if they had LPG available or a delivery due soon. The person who answered was unsure if LPG would even be continued there again, having apparently had notification confirming that LPG has now been stopped at that forecourt for at least the foreseeable future. Bugger.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I am going to have a gaslow system fitted on Monday but you now cast doubt on it , I am now thinking do I go ahead or not , having one11kg and keeping one 6kg calor, as a belt n braces option.
I fitted one exchangeable 6kg Calor and one 6kg Gaslow refillable 5 years ago in anticipation of supply difficulties.
Haven't had to use the exchangeable Calor until now.

2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 002.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I think it was on the Facebook group LPG Auto Supply UK that I read Morrisions had just installed a new Calor Gas pump in Leeds. Seemed a suprising change from the usual news,

Anyway, found that FB group useful for news on where there is LPG supply.
Any more details of the site please??

philmc79

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
Has no one got a bottled gas supplier near to them we have 2 and they sell auto gas so i always fill up before we go away for any length of time and always have a spare small bottle just in case also fill that with my auto gas adaptor

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As some of you are aware I’m converting a land rover 130 to an expedition vehicle. I WAS considering an underslung tank but after reading this then it’s options time. I need advice on this please as I’m unfamiliar with the setup. Can you get refillable bottles that you can fill away from the vehicle or do they have to be attached and filled by vehicle mounted filler cap? Thanks.

I am seriously thinking of a diesel heater/stove.
You should go diesel if going expedition vehicle.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Passed at least 6 stations selling gas to refill from today in France. Get refillables and top up every time here, enough to cover the uk trips.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Wouldn't they have a low pressure hose though due to having a regulator on top of the cylinder?

I am pleased that I have no high-pressure hose in the MH on the domestic side. I have the old-style 37Mb propane regulator screwed directly onto the cylinder, either Gaslow or Calor back-up, so only high-pressure connection is the 21.7 LH thread of the regulator into the cylinder. The gaslow-cylinder filler is of course HP but is short and contains not much liquid/gas to escape.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I fitted one exchangeable 6kg Calor and one 6kg Gaslow refillable 5 years ago in anticipation of supply difficulties.
Haven't had to use the exchangeable Calor until now.

View attachment 604635
Does your Gaslow cylinder fill without needing to take it out of the van? I'm assuming that's it's refit hose going to the locker door?

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
You should go diesel if going expedition vehicle.
Most seem to use a mix of onboard gas hobs, the small gas stoves for cooking outside, and a fire pit. I've a friend with a diesel hob which is also a diesel heater, and it's a neat bit of kit but the hob takes AGES to heat up. Another van person I follow has gas, but they're increasingly using a portable induction hob for cooking, which they run from a small generator (solar powered), so it costs them zero. My van has gas for cooking only, so it takes me about a year to get through a 907 cylinder, but I'm considering the gennie/induction route, especially as I've just had solar installed.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Does your Gaslow cylinder fill without needing to take it out of the van? I'm assuming that's it's refit hose going to the locker door?
Yep, no need to remove the Gaslow cylinder to refill/top it up. Both cylinders are connected but obviously the Calor cylinder isn't refilled via the external filler unit in the locker door and would have to be removed and exchanged for a full one.
2018-04-21 Gas locker connections 003.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Yep, no need to remove the Gaslow cylinder to refill/top it up. Both cylinders are connected but obviously the Calor cylinder isn't refilled via the external filler unit in the locker door and would have to be removed and exchanged for a full one.
View attachment 604909
Thanks Spriddler, that's very helpful. My current van only has space for one cylinder and I'd been looking at going with Gaslow, but given how little gas I use and the current hassles getting it I think I'll stick with swap cylinders for the moment. However, when I change vans I'll go with a larger gas locker and probably have the two type system you've got. It looks like an ideal compromise especially for someone like me who isn't a heavy gas user (but whose gas still runs out at the least convenient possible times...).

Mar 3, 2010
Southwell, Notts
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Perhaps we can encourage some of the larger campsites, especially ones that host significant numbers of motorhomes, to install pumps? Unlike petrol and diesel, I think LPG storage tanks can be above ground.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Perhaps we can encourage some of the larger campsites, especially ones that host significant numbers of motorhomes, to install pumps? Unlike petrol and diesel, I think LPG storage tanks can be above ground.
From earlier comments in this thread it would seem to be impractical /uneconomic.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Has no one got a bottled gas supplier near to them we have 2 and they sell auto gas so i always fill up before we go away for any length of time and always have a spare small bottle just in case also fill that with my auto gas adaptor
We have 2, flogas and unigas (I think🤔), both are only open short hours mon-fri.....dont think the flogas pump has been working since the shortages last year and unigas wanted me to have a business account last time I asked
There was a place that used to refill forklift bottles and sell the see through ones but that's gone now
Since the local shell took their pump out 4-5 years ago I have always filled up en route to somewhere

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
.....plus I can already hear the comments of "Did you see how much they're charging for lpg on the campsite :eek: "
And seeing as there is a perceived bias towards caravans, there's no way the CMHC will dig into their profits just to suit motorhomers, they've already spent way too much on us when they "included" us in their title !!

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
.....plus I can already hear the comments of "Did you see how much they're charging for lpg on the campsite :eek: "
And seeing as there is a perceived bias towards caravans, there's no way the CMHC will dig into their profits just to suit motorhomers, they've already spent way too much on us when they "included" us in their title !!

Don't any caravans have re-fillable cylinders?

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Oh thats a bummer! I've just looked on the LPG app and the majority within 2 hrs drive from me are Temporarily out of order. The few that does have it are 0.99p:crying1: I'm hoping its just a blip with shortages.
Bellfield service’s A 77 BP got it there this morning.
Also a mate got lpg Morrisons Kirkcaldy Saturday morning.if that helps. ⛽

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Definitely sticking with our 2 x Gas-it 11kg set-up. At the moment, there seems to be a shortage at the pumps in places, maybe due to the Ukraine conflict? Trago Mills near us has an auto-gas pump which has been out of order for a few weeks now, as they say they have no gas supply. However, there seem to be plenty of options still out there.

I gather that it’s possible to refill at some bulk supply locations and depots. Is that right? Can you turn up at a Calor or Flo-gas depot and refill, for example?

I Haldon Hill garage out as well?
will be passing on Thursday.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Not many do of the ones I've seen. Most seem to stay on sites with EHU so use less gas than wandering (FLT or Aire) m/homers and all caravanners have a car to easily transport exchangeable cylinders.
Also if the garage wants the bottle filled in situ the garage might not be big enough to take a car and caravan in and turn around to get out.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks responders to my Q about caravanners and re-fillable cylinders.

I have learnt a few more things about caravan life, e.g. not normally water tanks on board.

I have never parked near a caravan, since we do not go on campsites and they are not allowed on Aires.

Obviously a different world - We will stick to MHoming thanks.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks responders to my Q about caravanners and re-fillable cylinders.

I have learnt a few more things about caravan life, e.g. not normally water tanks on board.

I have never parked near a caravan, since we do not go on campsites and they are not allowed on Aires.

Obviously a different world - We will stick to MHoming thanks.
There are also Safefill used a lot by caravaner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back