Another 2 silly questions (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
This will be my first season staying on sites, help appreciated.
(1) when leaving the site and returning the same evening what is the best method of informing others "this pitch is mine", or is this allowed and/or managed when booking the site?
(2) views please on awnings, fixed or free standing for a Devon Tempest

Thank you. David

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can get signs to stick in the ground. Look in the back of any motorhome magazine or do a bit of Googling. Or persuade Jim to sell a MHF one!

Awnings not that popular, other than the wind-out ones. You can get pneumatic ones now, no poles, but they are not cheap. Vango make them, amongst others. Have a look on their website but expect to pay around £500. Or use a £25 Lidl gazebo!

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
usually put up a sign to advice the spot is taken and inform the site warden that you are leaving temporarily.
Signs can be purchased similar to the below:
upload_2015-3-5_18-38-30.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
This will be my first season staying on sites, help appreciated.
(1) when leaving the site and returning the same evening what is the best method of informing others "this pitch is mine", or is this allowed and/or managed when booking the site?
(2) views please on awnings, fixed or free standing for a Devon Tempest

Thank you. David
You will find that most Caravan Club wardens sell green signs with white letters saying 'Reserved for Motorhome', or something like, for a few quid.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Leaving the site? There's loads of cunning tricks to 'reserve' your pitch. The real old sweats leave a tatty table and camping chairs plonked right in the middle of the emplacement.

Popular with foreigners (but not recommended on H&S rules) is to leave their connected EHU lead trailed across the pitch!!! This also prevents anyone using their socket.

A simple sign as outlined on other posts will suffice in UK because of British fair play. Doesn't always work in Europe!

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We agonised over all this a few yrs ago-we bought a 'drive away' awning,and found it more trouble than it was worth.We now have a kampa air awning which we only put up if we are staying for more than a week.
We had a sign saying 'emplacement occupee par camping car 123xx' but never used it.Now we just leave EHU cable and our ramps-never had a problem,praps we just been lucky (y) I can't help observing that it's easy to 'over think' these things :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
We agonised over all this a few yrs ago-we bought a 'drive away' awning,and found it more trouble than it was worth.We now have a kampa air awning which we only put up if we are staying for more than a week.
We had a sign saying 'emplacement occupee par camping car 123xx' but never used it.Now we just leave EHU cable and our ramps-never had a problem,praps we just been lucky (y)
I can't help observing that it's easy to 'over think' these things :)

Yeah kind of agree with you but still think that I like Cruisers reply.
:wine:
Good news is I owe him a drink, Bad news is the wife said make it arsenic!!!!

:wine:

Upvote 0

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Find the angriest scrap yard Alsatian, fight it, then take it and peg it in the middle of your pitch.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
If you're abroad expect your sign to be in the nearest rubbish bin and a Johnny Foreigner's MH to be very settled on 'your' pitch.

View attachment 56097
We had this many years ago, when we had an old Commer Highwayman, in Devon. Went out for a meal with the kids, and left a towel over the peg. On our return, the towel was over a hedge, and a BMW with German plates was parked in our spot, with a tent draped over the car..........Despite some (heavy) remonstrations, they wouldn't move, so I hitched the Commer up to the Beamers front end with my tow rope, and dragged him out. Only then did he start up and bugger off, tent still flapping over his roof.
I was much younger in those days.........:(:(:(

Upvote 0

Rob

Free Member
Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
I dont get this??

How can anyone nick your pitch that you've paid for for X amount of nights if you go out in van?
Surely its yours for the duration you paid for it?

Am i missing something

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I use a spare no plate, on a metal pole / stick pushed into ground next to pitch number .asked dealer for one when purchased van as part of deal,
nobody will want to pinch it , as it's my number & it's a bit naf.

Upvote 0

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
We use the legs part of a camping table that you assemble. We just take the top off and take that with us. Does the trick.we figure that a table with no top is not much good to anyone

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I dont get this??

How can anyone nick your pitch that you've paid for for X amount of nights if you go out in van?

Am i missing something
You are not missing something, Rob. The trouble is that as with any group of people, there are some Motorhomers who are selfish bustards.... they come in ... see your pitch with your sign, table and chairs, or whatever and think.... oh that's a nice speck ... and for some reason believe they have more right than you to be parked there... They move your stuff and park up... They are just ignorant so and so's ...

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If I come back and " My pitch" is taken......I just park on another one.
No big deal for us.

Same here..... gives a different view at least. Life's too short.

As for the post title.......

There is no such thing as a silly question !

Only stupid answers !!!!:restmycase::restmycase::restmycase:

True

and silly funsters. that's me

and me quack quack

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We got a Khyam Screendome. It's a freestanding, very quick to put up (less than 5 minutes) leisure tent that doubles as a utility tent. If we're on site for more than a couple of days we put it up and use it as you would an awning and then when we're out we use it for storage of stuff we don't need to take. As it's on the pitch it also stops other people moving in if we go out. Having said that, we don't usually use the MH to get around. We take our bikes.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I dont get this??

Am i missing something
I've been to campsites where they say just find an empty pitch and use that. They didn't want to know afterwards in the office which pitch I was on. So if you don't leave something on your pitch if you vacate it then you shouldn't be surprised if someone has taken it when you get back.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back