Anonymous poll (1 Viewer)

You curse and then.....

• Stop, Find the site warden, explain the situation and take advice.

• Dump it anyway, no one will know it was you

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You arrive on a campsite and your elsan cassette is full. For some reason which you find it hard to explain; you always use a blue, not very environmentally friendly, chemical in the cassette. A chemical that costs a lot of money and makes bold, rubbish claims about breaking down waste but essentially all it does is hide your irrational embarrassment that it must only be you who's poo stinks.

At the Elsan point you see a sign "Please only dispose of environmentally friendly chemicals here or you will destroy our septic tanks eco system"

Continues with poll above

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We were at Troutbeck Head a few years ago with the Tin Tent and the warden came around everyone in the service pitches asking everyone if they had emptied their toilet cassette into the grey waste drain. Nobody owned up with the downside that the blue chemical had killed the eco system within the filtration system prior to release into the water table. Whether it was innocent or deliberate it caused a bit of damage so my answer to the poll question is no I wouldn't just dump it. (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My BIL is establishing a new campsite in Sussex at the moment though it won't be taking any campers (tents only no MHs or caravans due to planning restrictions) until next year. They will have their own private sewage tank and he knows if he lets people empty portaloo type thingies then whatever notices they put up about chemicals someone sooner or later will arrive and dump with something nasty which will potentially kill their sewage treatment bugs. So he intends to ban all portable toilets. We'll see how he gets on but the site for camping is small and the cost of digging and sinking a special tank for chemical waste just won't be cost effective. His main income will come from the four posh lodges they have built and the camping is a bit of sideline but it was part of the planning permission deal as it brings people to the village.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We use the Blue and the Green chemicals mainly just for ease as the motorhome does not get used that often due to work. We tend to use Blue when using CC sites for top ups and the Green for stopovers we have never been to before just in case. Worst case scenario for us was when I used a pubs toilet to empty the cassette due to the filtration system in use at a CL we visited in Lairg. Pub landlord was more than happy to oblige especially as we booked a table and had a few drinks so there is always a way without the need to dumbly dump (no pun intended). ;)

Reactions: Jim

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
for many years we used to dig a deep hole for elsan disposal at rallies and backfill when the meet closed. there is always a solution to such issues

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We use the Blue and the Green chemicals mainly just for ease as the motorhome does not get used that often due to work. We tend to use Blue when using CC sites for top ups and the Green for stopovers we have never been to before just in case. Worst case scenario for us was when I used a pubs toilet to empty the cassette due to the filtration system in use at a CL we visited in Lairg. Pub landlord was more than happy to oblige especially as we booked a table and had a few drinks so there is always a way without the need to dumbly dump (no pun intended). ;)
That's a bit extreme!!!!! Taking your toilet cassette out for a few drinks.:eek::eek::eek:
You don't need to incriminate yourself further by answering but did it end up a good night for the two off you?(y)(y)(y) Or was it pi** poor?:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I havn't yet stayed anywhere that I couldn't empty my cassette with blue and all we use is the blue Elsan fluid. I'd like to think my conscience would not allow me to dispose of it if there was a sign saying so.
I have 2 more bottles to get through and then will be using Bio washing liquid ( good point made by Janine ). I watch with interest ( this thread, not me emptying the cassette ).

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
That's a bit extreme!!!!! Taking your toilet cassette out for a few drinks.:eek::eek::eek:
You don't need to incriminate yourself further by answering but did it end up a good night for the two off you?(y)(y)(y) Or was it pi** poor?:whistle::whistle::whistle:

It worked out great.... copious pints of beer and I didn't need to leave the table once.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Never use blue .always the pink environmental or bio tabs . Blue is awful stuff that seems to be used by people who appear not to care too much .imho of course .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It really is strange how people on here are completely different than motorhomer s at large which in another thread we came up with the idea we are only 2% of , must admit I have very rarely come across any of them that could give two f...s of what goes where:(

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why do I get the feeling the original post is a leading question ... :sneaky:

No, not at all. We have a large sealed tank especially for Elsan cassettes, and it does not matter what is emptied into it, we pay per litre for it to be taken away. We do also have a Septic tank but as the poll above proves, we couldn't let campers use it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I didn't even realise it was frowned upon to use, as like I said everywhere I have stayed have never mentioned it.
Clearly I have learnt something new
There you go , and most couldn't care less, sorry to keep bringing France up in everything but don't think anyone over there has heard anything about it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just out of interest - is Bio washing liquid 'green' in this respect?
Too much can cause problems with cesspits due to the same mechanism it is used in cassettes - it kills off some of the bacteria. But I think it is a lot less harmful than the irradiated blue stuff.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
There you go , and most couldn't care less, sorry to keep bringing France up in everything but don't think anyone over there has heard anything about it.
French don't give a toss about the environment no matter what the politicians say . Smoking ban for example is largely ignored. ..the French only pay lip service to anything then do what they want ..

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I've tried almost every chemical/bio product on the market and the only one that is not offensive/make us gag is Elsan Blue:oops:.

I would love not to have to use chemical and have considered fitting a SOG unit. However, I understand the principle of a SOG whilst the cassette is in use, but and it's a big BUT, you and all those around within a 5 mile radius, must still get the smell whilst emptying the cassette(n)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back