Annual Travel Insurance (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I have been doing the annual trawl for Travel Insurance and have come up with, would you believe, Asda Superior Annual Policy. I am waiting for written confirmation of 3 points but will, in all likelihood, go ahead. A couple of things that can catch people out are:-
  1. Some policies require that you have a pre booked return crossing. I have been verbally told that this policy doesn't. (Staysure is one of them that does)

2. Maximum number of days away per trip is 90 up to 66 years of age but they can look at extending this to 100 days - not guaranteed. The number of trips is not limited which I have requested confirmation of.

3. 24 days of skiing if selected. This is the number of days you actually ski not the ski holiday duration.
I am currently waiting for written confirmation of the above. The price for all of the above is just shy of £115.0 with a couple of medical disclosures, which is the most competitive and comprehensive I can find. With no medical disclosures it is about £95.00 I think.

I have no idea how good their claims handling is but hopefully I’ll never have to use it! If anyone has any experience of them I’d be interested in your experience.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Who are the Underwriters?

I doubt whether ASDA have an Insurers Licence from the FCA, although they might.

On the ski question I would think it is total days - because you could slip on ice coming out of the pub;)

Geoff

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Is this a worldwide (inc Carribean & USA) travel insurance or limited to Europe for that price please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Europe only. As you say Asda won't be the underwriters in the same way a lot of these companies aren't. It will be some form of 'white label's job.

I'll wait for formal confirmation re. ski days but that was also the approach with Staysure, so it is not unusual.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We get worldwide cover with our nationwide bank account the savings account its linked to pays for quite a bit of the monthly fee if you keep a £3000 balance in it (not much interest available anywhere else) . We saved the annual cost on our trip to Cuba have just been ski-ing and going again in March. Its a good deal for us.

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Yep we have the Nationwide deal as well but the ski cover is not great, particularly skiing off a marked run, so frustratingly we need something else! It also only covers you for 31 days away at a time unless you pay an extra premium.

We use the breakdown cover and phone cover so on balance still breaks even I think. Like a lot of things horses for courses!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If you're under 55 look at Alpha, no time away limit ( valid for however long you take the policy out for) , and no need for a pre booked return. We pay under £200 for a couple, some declared conditions, for 11 months touring EU with no return booked.

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Hi @clanjones . Hope all going well with you both. Happy New Year and here’s to another great year of travels.
This seems like a really interesting and very competitive deal you are being offered from Asda. We are currently paying over £200 with Aviva for similar cover time wise, but world wide excluding USA, and we don’t have snowsports. Oh yes, and with Rich being over 70, the price of all insurance soars!
I will watch for developments in your correspondence with ASDA. J

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Hi again @clanjones, thought I’d let Asda provide a quote to compare with our current insurers.
Their policies have a limited period of cover for those over 66 - only trips of 30 days as opposed to 90 for we youngsters!
So, looks like we’ll stay with Aviva for the time being. Either that or I’ll leave Rich at home ;)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Europe only. As you say Asda won't be the underwriters in the same way a lot of these companies aren't. It will be some form of 'white label's job.

I'll wait for formal confirmation re. ski days but that was also the approach with Staysure, so it is not unusual.

But the documentation has to state who the Underwriters are under FCA rules. It is ofte in the sall print footnote at the bottom of their letterhead stationery.

Geoff

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
So the results are in from ASDA and it looks very good. Here is the reply:-
  1. We can confirm that you do not need to have a return ticket booked but you would need to come back from the trip within your trip duration limit to be covered on the policy.

2. Also if you take out the policy that has 90 day trip duration you can go away as many times as you like in the year as long as each of your trips does not exceed 90 days a time.

3. The 24 days of winter sports coverage will cover you for the duration of your policy and will cover you on the days that you are skiing not the whole trip.
WRT to the valid points @nicholsong made I have cut and pasted this from ASDA money's website:-

Policies sold on or after the 1 October 2015 are arranged and administered by Insure & Go Insurance Services Ltd.
Travel insurance is underwritten by MAPFRE Asistencia Compañía Internacional de Seguros y Reaseguros, Sociedad Anonima, trading as MAPFRE Assistance, which is authorised by Dirección General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

So all seems in order as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hi @Jenowen good to hear from you! Yep we have a few trips planned which involve the tandem and skis! A lot of people have the Nationwide Flexplus account on MF which does cost £13.00 per month but amongst other things gives you world wide travel Insurance. I have extracted these points from their web site:-
  • This policy does not provide cover for pre-existing medical conditions unless declared to and accepted by us. An extra premium may be required
  • There is an upper age limit of 74. If any person to be insured is aged 75+ you must buy an age extension, which you need to renew annually in order for us to cover you. Only one age extension is needed per account and when you call you will be asked some questions about the health of all insured persons
  • Trips for longer than 31 days are not covered unless extended journey cover has been purchased.
This is a link to the Nationwide website which may be of some help.

https://nationwide.co.uk/products/c...nsurances-and-benefits#xtab:travel-exclusions

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have the nationwide one we did have a previous medical condition to declare but no increase in premiums (and you should declare medical conditions current and previous for all travel insurance just in case) . We keep a balance of at least £ 2500 so get interest at 3% to offset some of the cost the net cost is then £81 a year and it includes breakdown cover (up to 8m length 7.5 tonne european) if you normally pay for it separately also some saving.

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Just one thing, skiers need to carefully check policy details to confirm whether there is a requirement to wear a helmet. (let's not start a debate on the whether you should or should not!) Asda require this, others don't!

This was new one on me although could see it coming!

Deleted User
Regarding Nationwide' in house Insurance.
I am Currently making 2 claims for cancelled holiday due to ill health in November, which then over ran into the 2nd holiday in February, whereby the Consultant refused to let me fly.
So £13 a month =£156, the insurance itself= £244. Then pay claim fee of £50. Medical report £47. Makes £497.A £500 award for a remedial holiday is blown if not taken within 90 days of the date of the start of the holiday, not the end. ( Providing that you had no holiday whilst away, so take ill in the 3rd week of 4, and can only claim for accommodation etc for the 4th week only).
The process and the loops to jump through
The reason for cancellation; detailed account, ran into 2 pages.
Medical Report including X Rays, consultant, physiology reports.
G.P report £47
Expenses, all hard copied or scanned. No receipt no claim ( as in Ryanair do not issue receipts, so the £160 for extra luggage not claimable as we didn't think we would need to hold onto boarding passes, which is the only place that shows that we paid extra for luggage.)
Fares to and from hospital, as in out of hours or difficult location limited to £20 per day.
Receipt of the holiday.
If booked and paid via a credit card, the credit card companies policy on any cover for cancelled holiday
Any third party covers holiday or part, as in Union, Works, Conditions and Benefits of employment, Insurance won't pay out, all or sum.
Letter from the travel company with dates of cancellation.
Letter from the Travel Company as to percentage of loss, as we were within 5 days of the 2nd holiday was 100%, but over 1 week 90%, 2 weeks etc.etc.
Now that was with a fully inclusive holiday via a travel company. Now convert to self booking, aires, every food receipt, fuel receipt. Usually only pay out if the site was booked prior to travel and must be a bone fide camp site for the purpose of etc.

So that Insurance policy actually cost more like £800.
However did spend 4 weeks confined to a hotel bed or hospital bed, 1 cat scan, 1 X ray, 5 ambulances and a Learjet from Germany with German DR and Nurse on board.About 11 days in a private hospital.

The first figure and quote, might not be the best.
On reflection, will never use Nationwide Flex insurance again. ( Only because of the sheer amount of loops and difficulty in making a claim, seems they are hell bent of finding ways of keeping as much money of theirs, theirs.
Buy a bespoke Insurance Policy from an actual Insurance Company, with no middlemen fees etc.
I will look at Which or financial Which, or do as much research as possible, and do it the week you book, and not the week before you travel.
Last tip, keep or take with you as much medical history as possible, and forward to said insurance company before paying. AS they will check for prior medical condition under a microscope to see if they can save themselves money, should there be a medical claim.
Do not, never ever assume ' It'l be all right on the night' ', 'We'll sort any problems out when we get home'
As Jeff Foxworthy the American comedian says 'You know they are rednecks if their pension plan is winning the lottery'

Deleted User
Thanks Clan,
I think the difference is in the research, recommendations etc. But I know what you're saying.
But a crooked Solicitor, G.P. and a claims manager were all in the scam,I think £1150 fine is a pittance, The G,P should have been suspended for a year and the solicitor barred from who ever. The claims manager, well that's what he was, crooked and in cahoots with the other 4.
Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back