Buzzybee

Free Member
Jul 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 2017
Hi all, we have insured our CV with Caravan Club and are reasonably pleased with the premium but a bit miffed that years of no claims on car insurance plus years of no claim caravanning, that we don’t qualify for much discount. However our main concern is now that we have done 2250 miles since new in late May this year and will probably exceed our annual limit. What’s the best course of action? Advice please!

OP
OP
Buzzybee

Buzzybee

Free Member
Jul 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks all for the advice, I will contact the insurance company 3/4 months before end of policy and pay the admin/increase. There is no way I would want to compromise my cover and Sod’s law says that insurance companies do like to find reasons for rejecting claims
Regards Buzzybee

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When we were renewing our insurance (Caravan Guard) we asked what would happen if we exceeded our mileage estimate given at the proposal. The answer was that you would still be insured but that you'd have to pay any increased premium if it applied, to the higher actual mileage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We originally insured with Caravan Guard, got free cover as part of the purchase deal, and once we had both properly retired ran into this problem. After upgrading twice, with the relevant extra premiums a very nice gentleman suggested to us that they weren't all that keen on high annual mileages and perhaps we might consider changing our insurance!

Following a recommendation, and a chat with a rep at the Peterborough Show, we changed to Comfort who offered us a much better deal as well as a much cheaper premium. Been with them ever since and that premium has only increased by peanuts! As a bonus if I recall correctly, we changed a couple of months before the renewal date and Caravan Guard actually gave us a refund too!

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
At renewal go to a broker. I had 9 years NCD from partner used as evidence for discount on MH. I am a company car driver and so don't accumulate normal NCD.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’re new to all this but after a few weekends away and a trip to Germany we’re at 4250 miles. We still have another fortnight away and a weekend away before the years up.
We had played safe and opted for 8000 ... looks like we’ll need it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We had a 6K limit 2 years ago as we set off for Norway half way through a years policy, rang to add 5K miles, told by (AIB) at the time max change was 2K which wasn’t enough

They told us only option was a new policy starting early ?

We had to do this but not with same insurer, got a 10K deal for about the same money as we had paid for 6K ?

OP
OP
Buzzybee

Buzzybee

Free Member
Jul 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 2017
Hi all, some excellent info/advice ref. the annual mileage restrictions and action options. I am presuming that 1/2 months before end of insurance period and with say 4000 on the clock that any extra premium would be pro rata and not too excessive. Trouble is that we have Tracker (FOC during the first year) so we will also have to pay loads for that in order to gain a miserly 10/15 percent discount on the insurance cost. As long as Brexit issues do not affect the price of dog food we will survive!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Try NFU in Chichester. They are very good and don't require a Tracker or Alarm. Might be a bit more expensive but you don't have the anual Tracker Premium.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Upgraded ours this year. Was up to the limit last year and from memory they wanted about £50 to stick us in the next category during the policy period. Held off till renewal and it only made about fifteen quid difference. With Comfort.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A local Broker told us about the mileage limits that the companies use as their thresholds for premium increases. If you choose a mileage limit that does not correspond with the actual thresholds your insurer uses, you might either pay too much for a few extra miles, or worry about an unnecessary self-imposed restriction on your touring.

On that advice I asked for a 6000 annual limit (previously 5000) on renewal and the premium stayed the same.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
but a bit miffed that years of no claims on car insurance plus years of no claim caravanning, that we don’t qualify for much discount.
I know all to well of this what a total joke this is.
When we took out our first MH insurance policy I had full no claims bonus for a car, plus I has spent the last 15 years driving a Renault traffic 5 days a week in work.
Yet none of this applied when I was shopping around for insurance.
Yet as if this was not stupid enough it got even more daft when we had a minor wingmirror collision when in France 2 years later.
Yip you guessed it due to this accident my car insurance now also gets loaded a premium.
Strange that how insurance companies jump at the chance to charge you extra money when they can, but when it comes to the possibility of discount,, nah sorry on your way.

Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Try NFU in Chichester. They are very good and don't require a Tracker or Alarm. Might be a bit more expensive but you don't have the anual Tracker Premium.
Surely the idea of a tracker and an alarm is to protect your Motorhome and have some chance of recovery if stolen, not just a means of paying less for insurance.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
With Caravan Guard, I got my quote for the coming year which was identical, so I requested that my annual mileage allowance be increased from 5k to 7k. My quote actually dropped by £30 ?

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Buzzybee, we are also insured through caravan club. When we took out policy they matched our car no claim discount. Also we had choice of mileage, we went for 8000 a year which works for us. Think you just need to give them a call to change. Also we are really pleased with our premium, great value and cover.
Bill

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
11 months in now and we’re 7000+ miles with another 400 mile round trip to do before year is up. Next year I’m thinking 10,000 might be more comfortable, unless we only go to Europe once in which case 8000 should do it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Surely the idea of a tracker and an alarm is to protect your Motorhome and have some chance of recovery if stolen, not just a means of paying less for insurance.
Really? If the tracker means the vehicle is recovered then the ins company don’t pay out, it’s that simple, so you get the policy cheaper as an incentive to save them money.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Joy's of NFU multi vehicle policy, just retired so one car mileage reduced, additional mileage on motorhome but no increase in premium, actual reduction as now I'm a lower risk.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We used our local NFU branch and were pleasantly surprised.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With Comfort, if you go up tp to 500 miles over your limit your excess goes up to £500 and 1000 miles over it goes up to £1000.
Last year I had to increase my mileage mid term cost £50 to go from 8,000 to 10,000 plus a £20 admin fee.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
One thing to be aware of
If you tell them, say , 6k a year at onset and then have an accident at 5,000 miles but at 6 months.....they may be able to wriggle citing that you told them that you would have only have done 3,000 after 6 months

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Why is there a limit at all? Does your driving get worse the further you go? Or is it just another scam?

Risk factor - higher mileage, on the road longer = greater risk of accident. Simple really, that's how insurance underwriters work, level of risk.

One thing to be aware of
If you tell them, say , 6k a year at onset and then have an accident at 5,000 miles but at 6 months.....they may be able to wriggle citing that you told them that you would have only have done 3,000 after 6 months

I think any insurance company who tried that on would quickly draw the attention of the Ombudsman - unless the T & P's stated proportionately over the year and even then they'd be on a sticky wicket methinks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back