Anniversary Waltz (more of a Wander) through France (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
David,

When I stayed at Mende aire last summer it was free. The charge was for cars in the car park.

Happy anniversary(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have only moved 30 miles to Mende, as above, twisty journey bit like parts of Scotland in places, some markers on roadside showed over 800metres high

Saw this which we thought might be an eagle or something, now think it was a Buzzard which in France are called something like bird of many colours, there don't seem to be 2 the same

IMG_1478.JPG

Moving on from there with more and more twists and turns, we got 1 mile from Mende and suddenly heard an almighty cascade of water, turned to see a mini tsunami heading forwards towards us

Stopped at roadside and realised a towel had dropped in the shower, landed on the shower handle which lowers to turn on, you can guess the rest

Actually you cant, to avoid issues with smells coming back from the grey tank we push down the shower plugs before travelling, now you can guess for yourselves

It probably took a few minutes for the shower to fill unnoticed by us in the front, then a left hand bend sent most of the contents under the door on their way to us

Thank goodness for under floor heating and access to water on the aire (y)(y), but at least we have a freshly cleaned floor :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I Shouldn't laugh really but glad it was sorted ! We had something similar when someone ( HWSRN!) didn't screw the lid of the 5 litre newly filled drinking water bottle tight enough !! Love the photo of the aire looking at the huge bridge! The French love their statement bridges!:)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Wahooo you're not far away from Gevaudan and its legend of "La bête du Gevaudan".... brrrrrr gives you the goose pimples!
Also not far from you is Laguiole! Come on , do treat you with the best handmade French knife. There's a nice campsite in Laguiole , very peaceful, also a covered swimming pool which might be open, not sure though.

Anyway, you are in a beautiful part of France... Lucky you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_Gévaudan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That bridge is something else. You could stand the Eiffel Tower below it and it wouldn't touch the carriageway.
And, of course, a Brit had a hand in it.:whistle:
Trouble is you can only really appreciate it from underneath . If you are actually on the road the best you get is fleeting glimpses when travelling North to South & nothing in the other direction unless I missed them.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I have a beautiful folding Laguiole knife that is usually in my pocket when we are over there but I wouldn't dare carry it over here.:rolleyes:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have only moved 30 miles to Mende, as above, twisty journey bit like parts of Scotland in places, some markers on roadside showed over 800metres high

Saw this which we thought might be an eagle or something, now think it was a Buzzard which in France are called something like bird of many colours, there don't seem to be 2 the same

View attachment 93405

Moving on from there with more and more twists and turns, we got 1 mile from Mende and suddenly heard an almighty cascade of water, turned to see a mini tsunami heading forwards towards us

Stopped at roadside and realised a towel had dropped in the shower, landed on the shower handle which lowers to turn on, you can guess the rest

Actually you cant, to avoid issues with smells coming back from the grey tank we push down the shower plugs before travelling, now you can guess for yourselves

It probably took a few minutes for the shower to fill unnoticed by us in the front, then a left hand bend sent most of the contents under the door on their way to us

Thank goodness for under floor heating and access to water on the aire (y)(y), but at least we have a freshly cleaned floor :)
I wonder if your buzzard is a rough legged buzzard, an uncommon winter visitor from Scandinavia? Supposed to have hairy legs!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Happy anniversary David and Bev. Congratulations. Glad to see you are having such a lovely time xx

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just read this thread, sorry about Blaye, when we are there in September it's all dust:)
Are they now chargeing as I see you mention 3 euros, new to us if they are:(

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just read this thread, sorry about Blaye, when we are there in September it's all dust:)
Are they now chargeing as I see you mention 3 euros, new to us if they are:(

No problem at all, just added to the mix, the locals were all out taking photos so it must have been quite rare :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have just had a wander round Mende, lovely day now, sun shining, a great day for an anniversary, saw a mirror wall and couldn't resist this

IMG_1485.JPG

then tried to be clever and take without the camera in front of my face

IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG

probably better with my face half hidden TBH :)

note bored dog and funny leg pose on my part, no idea what that was all about :LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Mendes has an amazing cathedral

Made all the better with a blue sky back ground (y)

IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

A local feature is roof shaped as ships, cant find the reason, but here is one, rather Dutch in style maybe

IMG_1489.JPG

The aire from the bridge and another view of the bridge from the other side of the river

IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG

Just back in time to watch the end of the rugby with a beer (y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely photos David - glad you and Bev are having a good time. Oh and by the way - Happy Anniversary! xx

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

View attachment 93405

:) Only Hymer could point the handle up! OK technically ours is a Hymer as well but only by default, oh and happy anniversary.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

It would probably sink, flooded from inside out.:)

and suddenly heard an almighty cascade of water, turned to see a mini tsunami heading forwards towards us

Habitation check should be good. Water egress ,:LOL:

note bored dog and funny leg pose on my part, no idea what that was all about :LOL:

Dog is wondering what you are doing stopped in the middle of a crossing & he's keeping his eye on the traffic.
Or it could be the stunned look is still there from seeing the Tsunami coming towards him.
On the other hand it looks more like a :Eeek: look. He hasn't spotted Ian ?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
anniversary tea a la Godfreys

@yodeli pizza, many thanks

table set as only can be for a new grandma with 2 more on the way :)(y)

IMG_1495.JPG

still debating the bird, hence the book, wine now consumed, we love Muscadet, but 2.30 euros not cheap any more :LOL:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
table set as only can be for a new grandma with 2 more on the way :)(y)
Two more! :eek:

Did Bev not have a quiet word with your children & explain what causes it. :rolleyes:
Bit late now. :oops:

I suppose St Valentine's day & a wedding anniversary is an appropriate day to be planning for a new generation. :)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely bit of knitting - Bev will be too busy to take orders for woollie hats I'm thinking.........?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Two more! :eek:

Did Bev not have a quiet word with your children & explain what causes it. :rolleyes:
Bit late now. :oops:

I suppose St Valentine's day & a wedding anniversary is an appropriate day to be planning for a new generation. :)

we do have 2 daughters (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
we do have 2 daughters (y)
That's what I thought!

I was just beginning to wonder if there was another one you hadn't mentioned. :) Oh well, nothing like getting it all over with in a rush! Time flies - I suppose no.1 grandchild is already older than I remembered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
posted this on photo of the day by mistake, had to modify my words to apologise

popped out a while ago and saw this on hill top a few miles away, some kind of sign maybe?

IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1499.JPG

if it means the sun will continue to shine I might take on religion (maybe)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
now this is just rude, even Bev thinks so

before and after photos

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

note the marked out bays on first photo

38 marked bays, 3 motorhomes in, they park right in front of us :mad:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
now this is just rude, even Bev thinks so

before and after photos

View attachment 93475

View attachment 93476

note the marked out bays on first photo

38 marked bays, 3 motorhomes in, they park right in front of us :mad:
Oh NOOOO! And of course they're French:whistle: ...I bet:rolleyes:!

David , you must learn a bit : When there's a large space , always park where you have one side safe, next to the kerb for example! In this case, in spite of you having plenty of room , you should have parked right at the beginning of the lane , where they are, to make sure no one could steal the sight !

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back