Angles Mort Signs (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If we had stayed in and the Froggies bought in this silly sticker law, we would still have to fit the stickers. In or as the democratic vote put it out. It makes no difference. If in France you may need them. The Germans are in and they have them on their vans, so saying if we were still in we would not have to is not true.
You're both wrong. Its nothing to do with the EU, and we would only have to fit them when in France.

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
It’s just ridiculous how everyone is supposed to bend over backwards for cyclists. It’s time cyclists took responsibility for their own safety and stopped thinking it’s everyone else’s job.
I don’t expect other road users to be responsible me when on my motorbike anymore than when I’m in the car or motorhome.
If I do something stupid like ride down the inside of a turning vehicle it’s my fault not theirs.
As a road user, whether as a pedestrian, cyclist or driver, I think I have some responsibility for the safety of all the other road users I encounter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
It is the law in France only, not elsewhere. The Germans don't have them on their vans.

Only vans traveling in France need to display them and then only in urban areas.
It is the law in France only, not elsewhere. The Germans don't have them on their vans.

Only vans traveling in France need to display them and then only in urban areas.

You're both wrong. Its nothing to do with the EU, and we would only have to fit them when in France.

It's not even the EU, its France :ROFLMAO:
My point was, it is not just us who have to fit these ridiculous stickers to our vans it is anybody who visits froggieville, and travels to urban areas.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
There wouldn’t be much point. How many speak enough French to understand them? Only France has them within the EU. Obviously trucks etc over 3.5t that want or need access to France must have them but no other EU member country has them.

Please where does it state 'urban areas only' and how are they defined and recognised?

Geoff
Found this on line, hope it helps.

FRANCE BLIND SPOT WARNING STICKERS (ANGLES MORTS)​

February 2, 2021
From January 1st 2021, all heavy vehicles in France (both goods and passenger transport vehicles) need to have a sign to inform others about their blind spots.
According to the decree published by the French Ministry on 20th November 2020, heavy vehicles over 3,5 tonnes driving in cities, have to be fitted with an infographic sticker, informing other road-users about their vehicle’s blind spots (Angles Morts) The stickers must be visible from the sides and the rear of the vehicles.
The Sticker Angles Morts on the rear of the vehicle must be placed on the right side between 0.9 and 1.5 meters from the ground. On both sides, the Stickers Angles Morts must be placed in the front (also between 0.9 and 1.5 meters from the ground).
The stickers must also be affixed to trailers and semi-trailers at the rear of the vehicle, on the right-hand side of the rear and at a height between 0.9 and 1.5 meters. On the semi-trailers, the stickers must be affixed on both sides too, within the first meter behind the fifth wheel (also at a height between 0.9 and 1.5 meters).

Post navigation​

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Found this on line, hope it helps.

FRANCE BLIND SPOT WARNING STICKERS (ANGLES MORTS)​

February 2, 2021
From January 1st 2021, all heavy vehicles in France (both goods and passenger transport vehicles) need to have a sign to inform others about their blind spots.
According to the decree published by the French Ministry on 20th November 2020, heavy vehicles over 3,5 tonnes driving in cities, have to be fitted with an infographic sticker, informing other road-users about their vehicle’s blind spots (Angles Morts) The stickers must be visible from the sides and the rear of the vehicles.
The Sticker Angles Morts on the rear of the vehicle must be placed on the right side between 0.9 and 1.5 meters from the ground. On both sides, the Stickers Angles Morts must be placed in the front (also between 0.9 and 1.5 meters from the ground).
The stickers must also be affixed to trailers and semi-trailers at the rear of the vehicle, on the right-hand side of the rear and at a height between 0.9 and 1.5 meters. On the semi-trailers, the stickers must be affixed on both sides too, within the first meter behind the fifth wheel (also at a height between 0.9 and 1.5 meters).

Post navigation​

Source please.
Is it an official translation of the law or just a newsletter.

It begs more questions as it says 'cities' not ;urban areas'. It also states 'passenger transport vehicles' - is this confined to buses/coaches and does not apply to private vehicles not licensed to transport passengers?

Doe the Gendarmes know the answers?

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Source please.

It begs more questions as it says 'cities' not ;urban areas'. It also states 'passenger transport vehicles' - is this confined to buses/coaches and does not apply to private vehicles not licensed to transport passengers?

Geoff
The problem as I understand it Geoff is that the French definition of urban space is quite difficult for us to interpret but I don't think you will need to bother anyway as the French definition of over 3500kgs has to have more than 4 wheels. I still havent got a Crit D'air sticker and havent heard anything.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Please where does it state 'urban areas only' and how are they defined and recognised?

Geoff
I’m afraid I can’t remember exactly where I read it. It was on one of the French gov websites which I was checking prior to our trip to see if we needed to get them or not. The guidance said ‘urban areas’ but didn’t define what this meant. We didn’t bother getting them as we weren’t going anywhere near built up areas and were simply travelling through to get to Germany.

I believe it also said it only relates to tow those of vehicles (1) transporting goods (2) transporting people… ie, coaches, etc

If I can find it I’ll post the link.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Currently in Languedoc after a fortnight in France. My personal observation is that most larger MHs, local and foreign, have the stickers and nearly all HGVs.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Here’s a paragraph relating to the vehicles which are required to display the signs [translated from the original French)

‘Transport vehicles
goods and public transport of people must affix signs in
the first meter in front of the vehicle, excluding glass surfaces, to the left and
to the right and at a height of between 0.90 and 1.50 meters from the ground.’

It relates to public transport vehicles… not private motorhomes

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Here’s a paragraph relating to the vehicles which are required to display the signs [translated from the original French)

‘Transport vehicles
goods and public transport of people must affix signs in
the first meter in front of the vehicle, excluding glass surfaces, to the left and
to the right and at a height of between 0.90 and 1.50 meters from the ground.’

It relates to public transport vehicles… not private motorhomes
The link in your previous post just says anything over 3.5t

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The link in your previous post just says anything over 3.5t
No, it doesn't. Look on page 5.

Il existe deux versions de la signalisation angles morts, dédiées à deux types de véhicules distincts, les transports de marchandises
et les transports en commun de personnes.

Translation…

There are two versions of blind spot signaling, dedicated to two distinct types of vehicles, goods transport
and public transport of people.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I’m afraid I can’t remember exactly where I read it. It was on one of the French gov websites which I was checking prior to our trip to see if we needed to get them or not. The guidance said ‘urban areas’ but didn’t define what this meant. We didn’t bother getting them as we weren’t going anywhere near built up areas and were simply travelling through to get to Germany.

I believe it also said it only relates to tow those of vehicles (1) transporting goods (2) transporting people… ie, coaches, etc

If I can find it I’ll post the link.
Lengthy discussion of this question on OALive forum a few weeks back - although it appears there had been suggestions in the initial stages of legislation about making the stickers required only in urban areas, no one was able to show any sign of this limitation making it into the final legislation. So unless and until anyone can find official confirmation of it, probably better to assume it applies in all of France.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp

Il existe deux versions de la signalisation angles morts, dédiées à deux types de véhicules distincts, les transports de marchandises

Translation…

There are two versions of blind spot signaling, dedicated to two distinct types of vehicles, goods transport
Oh yes it does!
The key point is the Objet on p3:

“Signalisation matérialisant les angles morts sur les véhicules dont le poids total autorisé en charge excède 3,5 tonnes”

ie Signage marking the blind spots on vehicles with a MGW over 3.5 tonnes (my translation.).

So it is intended to cover those vehicles over 3.5t - not just those vehicles over 3.5t in the 2 types. This does suggest MHs are not the primary focus of the law, though.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Source please.

Geoff
I doubt it but they will make one up.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Translation…

But in the first bit it says all vehicles over 3.5t need the stickers. The later bit seems to be examples of where they should be fixed they obviously can't list every single vehicle. I'll leave you to argue it with the gendarmes!

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008

Geoff
I have previously posted the French legislation and it has no mention of urban areas or cities/towns/villages etc. In fact it provides exemptions for forestry vehicles and motorway maintenance vehicles which rather dispels the 'urban area' bit. I have suggested a source of the 'urban' element might be useful from those who have claimed it exists but as yet not seen any definitive article.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back