Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Had a thought about this one and do not know how it works in real life.
If one has an angioplasty and or stent, you should refrain from driving a car or bike for a week a lorry or bus for 6 weeks with further tests ie. tread-wheel or similar. As we drive on a C1E on an ordinary licence how does that count, as the professional drivers have a separate licence. We do not have said licence although it is a Private HGV, which is it a car or a lorry. A lot could hanging on the difference, insurance and or licence disqualification . I am now approaching the age 70 barrier but have been driving on the car licence Grandfather Rights C1E. Been wondering about that one.
Any thoughts. When I lost my pilots licence the CAA lifted my licence full stop, that was 28 years ago, and they would not let me fly again unless I paid for a separate angiogram and repeat medicals. and then only allowed to fly with a safety/co pilot from then on. That has changed to being allowed again to fly myself. Which I do again now. It was common after a few years of experience by the medics to allow, flying after stents, but I was one of the first to have one done in the UK and hence the banning .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Pro drivers dont have a separate licence, they have the same licence as everyone else, it just has the C or C+E added.

But I know what you're asking and have wondered this myself.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What then is the grey blue plastic licence that they get, bit like my old HGV brown licence, different from the ordinary one, or is that the electronic tachograph card???????????? long time out of road transport.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
What then is the grey blue plastic licence that they get, bit like my old HGV brown licence, different from the ordinary one, or is that the electronic tachograph card???????????? long time out of road transport.
So, everyone has a photo licence (or at least those who've changed) as opposed to a paper licence. The HGV/PCV section C, C +E, D, D+E are vocational licences but just added onto the existing pink photo licence. There is also an Drivers Card that is the digital tachograph card that records all the drivers activities. There is then the DCPC, which is again, a photo card that's renewable every 5 years on passing 35 hours of theory or relevant training and the other, again, photo card, is the ADR which entitles the driver to transport relevant dangerous goods.
As regards theses groups, after the initial medical, tgen a medical at age 45 then every 5. At age 65 then yearly medical (along with eye test if appropriate).
I'm regards to the C1 licence, that is subject to the normal rules under when you passed. Meaning pre or post 1997.
However, mine came under that and it'll be a phone call to the DVLA to get the definitive answer as to what weight the C1 extention is and medical etc.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
My GP contacted DVLA after I had 4 stents fitted 2 years ago, I was 55 years old. They told him that I should not drive for a minimum of 6 weeks and that any extension of that was at his discretion. It ended up being 9 weeks as he wanted me complete a rehab course at the local hospital.
With regards to insurance, nobody I have asked seems to give a monkeys!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
The old style HGV book went out years ago to be replaced with one licence card for all what I think you are referring to is the Drivers CPC card being their card to state that they have completed their 35 hours of mandatory training over five years

@johnp10 will correct me if I am wrong as this is his area

Like this one seen as we do not carry good with motor homes we are exempt

IMG_1385.JPG

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I had a heart attack in France last June and had stents fitted. My travel insurer insisted I shouldn't drive for 6 weeks but my french surgeon said 48 hours as they don't do namby pampy surgery. After contacting my vehicle insurer they in turn spoke to my french surgeon. I was told I could drive home after 48 hours. To many variations to so called rules and everyone appears to have different interpretations.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
i have had two lots of stents fitted, 14 years apart. 1 week only ban for driving whatever is on your licence as standard. that is i have no HGV etc additional tickets, but as licence is pre 1997, well pre actually, no additional period of ban.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I need to do something about the licence my 3860 will downgrade to 3500 and I will overload to 10% ie 3860 again, they cannot say it is overloaded and dangerous just because I have to pay, MORE ROADTAX, it is the same vehicle and doesn't become dangerous just because of a piece of paper ?!?!?!? I could be 4000 legally, if I tried hard , as that is the maximum makers weight.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
with stents after a heart attack is it usual for the DVLA to require a treadmill test to fullfill the C1 medical requirements at age 70?

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
When I need to do something about the licence my 3860 will downgrade to 3500 and I will overload to 10% ie 3860 again, they cannot say it is overloaded and dangerous just because I have to pay, MORE ROADTAX, it is the same vehicle and doesn't become dangerous just because of a piece of paper ?!?!?!? I could be 4000 legally, if I tried hard , as that is the maximum makers weight.
Not sure this is all correct. Remember that we are discussing two different pieces of legislation here and you cannot use the same definitions in both pieces willy-nilly. The Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994 defines the taxation groups for vehicle excise whereas the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regs along with the relevant EU regulations and Directives (The third Directive on drive licences) specifies the categories for driving licences.

In terms of what weight you can use the vehicle up to, this is limited to that on the vehicles "plate" (Ministry Plate in terms of commercial vehicles over 3.5 tonnes or "Manufacturers plate in terms of other vehicles). Unless you actually down-plate your vehicle to 3.5 tonnes or less you will have to meet the higher medical standards required for the Category C1 it is not OK to just load you vehicle to no more than 3.5 tonnes.

In terms of overloading your vehicle although it is logical that the vehicle does not suddenly become unsafe if it were used at 3.85 tonnes after being down-plated (as there are no physical changes necessary to do this) it is still not legal to run a vehicle plated at 3.5 tonnes at any weight exceeding this.

In terms of likely enforcement action DVSA give a margin of 5% (this is actually a statutory defence under certain condition and is the reason for the DVSA policy) and they go on to say that they will deal with overloads of up to 10% by way of Graduated Fixed Penalty - in fact I think they may now have gone even further with this. However, you should remember that there are 52 police forces in this country that are not bound by DVSA policy guidelines and you can add to that Trading Standards Officers who, although not over active in this area, do have the legal power to weigh vehicles.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Should also have said that after age 70, to retain your grandfather rights to C1 and C1+E you will have to show that you meet the higher medical standards. This is not impossible to achieve even after heart surgery of course.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I will reach 70 at end of august, and in the same boat as you. Had to have stents in 2001 then had heart attack in june 2004. Motorhome is 4500k so fingers are crossed hoping for a good medical. Stopped European travel 7years ago as travel ins price got ridiculous when I notified type 2 diabetes to list of ailments.
Not prepared to downsize so if I fail it will be goodbye motorhome.:(

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Not sure this is all correct. Remember that we are discussing two different pieces of legislation here and you cannot use the same definitions in both pieces willy-nilly. The Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994 defines the taxation groups for vehicle excise whereas the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regs along with the relevant EU regulations and Directives (The third Directive on drive licences) specifies the categories for driving licences.

In terms of what weight you can use the vehicle up to, this is limited to that on the vehicles "plate" (Ministry Plate in terms of commercial vehicles over 3.5 tonnes or "Manufacturers plate in terms of other vehicles). Unless you actually down-plate your vehicle to 3.5 tonnes or less you will have to meet the higher medical standards required for the Category C1 it is not OK to just load you vehicle to no more than 3.5 tonnes.

In terms of overloading your vehicle although it is logical that the vehicle does not suddenly become unsafe if it were used at 3.85 tonnes after being down-plated (as there are no physical changes necessary to do this) it is still not legal to run a vehicle plated at 3.5 tonnes at any weight exceeding this.

In terms of likely enforcement action DVSA give a margin of 5% (this is actually a statutory defence under certain condition and is the reason for the DVSA policy) and they go on to say that they will deal with overloads of up to 10% by way of Graduated Fixed Penalty - in fact I think they may now have gone even further with this. However, you should remember that there are 52 police forces in this country that are not bound by DVSA policy guidelines and you can add to that Trading Standards Officers who, although not over active in this area, do have the legal power to weigh vehicles.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

I understand that and it is why I got a van that will just meet the lower weights providing that only two people and very little water is onboard, it was uprated only because at the moment I can drive it at the higher weight.
I do understand that and the van I got will and was under 3500 kgs model that is an option to make 4000kg. I have tried it at 3500 on a weighbridge and can do that with minimum water and two people only. It is uprated only because i can drive it at the moment as such weight. It is a travesty that most vans will be overwight by design. I can tow my trailer at the lower weight and not worry as it will take a load more weight that way but just not yet. To be honest it woould be very difficult to always be under the limits and most vans on the road are over their weights.. To make leisure vehicle have to have the same licencing requirements as 40 hour a week commercial transport or buses is not commonsense way of doing it. There was talk of a recreational licence coming but it hasn't materialised probably will not.
Makers persist on making motorhome too bloody heavy before they leave the factory. It will catch them in the end when all those without C1E cannot buy the products. It is virtuall impossible to take a test on a motorhome because the test has to be that of a lorry and with all those requirements plus the other bits about loading tachograph and securing etc etc. There has to be a change soon.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Gwaygway, I see your reasoning and see nothing wrong with your plans. Your aspirations regarding a "recreational" licence though are not likely to come to fruition at least in the next good few years. You are correct that taking a test for a category C1 would involve the need to have access to a medium sized goods vehicle of at least 4 tonnes MAM and at least 5 metres in length (neither of which is impossible for a motorhome) but it also has to have a "closed box cargo compartment" at least as wide as the cab and needs to fitted with a tachograph (both requirements start to rule out most motorhomes) and a seat belt and mirrors for the examiner (which almost all motorhames will, or could have.

Probably the only option for most people would be to attend a commercial driving school course at a cost of several hundred pounds depending on availability and where you live.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Forgot to say that there would be no requirement for the driver to pass the Driver CPC part of the exam or undergo the compulsory Driver CPC periodic training thereafter provided the driver did not engage in any "hire or reward" work

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back