Anger over motor home owners who dump their 'effluence' on the Burnham Explanade (1 Viewer)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Be interesting to challenge her comments in a council meeting with the press in attendance bet she wouldn't get re- elected as a councillor very easily at any future council elections....but Graham is doing a grand job of destroying her credibility so will wait and watch with interest..Roy

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
For the benefit of those not familiar with the area & wondering about the early morning views the good councillor wishes to deny you, there is a magnificent vista from the Esplanade out over the mud flats of the River Parrett. These are no doubt of great interest for students of wading birds. The view is further enhanced on a clear day by the majestic sight of the Hinckley Point nuclear power station rising on the far horizon. :D:D

If these are not uppermost in your interests, I would strongly advise checking the tide tables to ensure that you awake & stretch shortly after high tide, when you can admire the sediment coming off the Somerset Levels mixing with the clear blue waters of the Bristol Channel.

Judging by the comments of those I know who live in the surrounding area, Councillor Parkin is probably a worthy representative of the town. I rather suspect its heyday as a seaside town was about 130 years ago.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
She 'has a business' but quotes herself as the general manager of the pavilion ? So does she own the pavilion or have a separate business on the side which is also at the esplanade location? The games afoot here Watson, we need to look further into this matter ;)
I wondered the same so did a bit of Googling. It appears that the pier/pavilion was bought by Councillor Parkin's father in 1968 and the family has run it since. Interesting that Broken Link Removed I found mentions a planning dispute between the owners and Sedgemoor Council :D

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I wondered the same so did a bit of Googling. It appears that the pier/pavilion was bought by Councillor Parkin's father in 1968 and the family has run it since. Interesting that Broken Link Removed I found mentions a planning dispute between the owners and Sedgemoor Council :D
Just read your link to that Graham,smacks a little of the old boy syndrome or in her case ,I am a councillor so I will push my luck .!! Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
never seen any in 45 years walk the dog there regular mother in law lived there

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm not sure who owns the parking, whether it is permissible to park overnight or any other legal nicety really matters.

The story and the actual response from the councillor suggest MHs are parking somewhere and behaving in a way which is causing annoyance to one person at least.

Is this true? Yes to someone being annoyed of course but what do other residents think and what are these MHs actually doing and on what scale because if they are running their grey water (or worse) onto the roads they deserve to be towed away. It's not a question of whether grey water is actually a hazard it is a question of not upsetting residents or visitors by anti-social behaviour. The ownership of the parking, be it Somerset, Warmington on Sea or Trumpington is a secondary issue if there are some MHs somewhere whose owners are behaving selfishly.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm not sure who owns the parking, whether it is permissible to park overnight or any other legal nicety really matters.

The story and the actual response from the councillor suggest MHs are parking somewhere and behaving in a way which is causing annoyance to one person at least.

Is this true? Yes to someone being annoyed of course but what do other residents think and what are these MHs actually doing and on what scale because if they are running their grey water (or worse) onto the roads they deserve to be towed away. It's not a question of whether grey water is actually a hazard it is a question of not upsetting residents or visitors by anti-social behaviour. The ownership of the parking, be it Somerset, Warmington on Sea or Trumpington is a secondary issue if there are some MHs somewhere whose owners are behaving selfishly.
No dispute on that, as I said in my messages:
if motorhome owners are truly causing a nuisance then action needs to be taken. I would strongly reiterate, though, that any such action needs to be taken on the basis of facts (i.e. not on the basis of hearsay and inaccurate understanding of parking restrictions).

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
9 out 10. She must be making that up surely?
Sounds like a lot of shit. Literally !

On a serious note ... I bet she couldn't provide any photographic evidence of just one instance of someone emptying their loo

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Not really bothers me either way, but one thing , if this woman owns a leisure thing opposite, surely you would think she would be glad of some trade from the mhs.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Frustrated diddycoy . ?????

Interestingly in the list of members interests ( Broken Link Removed ) for Burhnam on sea council Louise Parkin is said to be a member of The Showmens Guild of great Britain London and Home Counties Section.
This organisation lobbys for facilities for travelling Fairground people. You would have thought she would be more sympathetic to the needs of Motorhomers.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Another "Thanks" here too, from Rita and I Graham. (y).

I don't normally take an interest in MH Parking or No MH Parking threads, however, I did see this story on the MCC FB page, so was keen to see what the general reaction was on FUN.

I am pleased that we have our very own and learned, former LA expert amongst us, in the way of Graham, @GJH, who knows exactly what's what, and where to find it with regards the issue.

Thank you for representing us all, in the very skilled manner with which you apply your representation. Top man Graham. (y)

This organisation lobbys for facilities for travelling Fairground people. You would have thought she would be more sympathetic to the needs of Motorhomers.
Exactly John. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Can you believe everything you read in the papers? That paper seems to be taking the micky over the councillors use of the word "effluence" and in the same headline refer to the Burnham "Explanade".

"Anger over motor home owners who dump their 'effluence' on the Burnham Explanade"

Dave

Reactions: DBK

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The Lady has history on the subject of Motorhome Parking.

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2013/motorhome-parking-15-02-13.php

In 2013 there was a proposal to allow overnight parking in Pier Street carpark where there are designated Motorhome Parking bays. This was objected to by the coucil. Perhaps the Parking meters she was alluding to are the ones at the car park where overnight parking and camping etc is prohibited by order of Sedgmoor District Council.
Broken Link Removed

They appear to have a situation where you can stay on the esplanade "on road" but not in designated motorhome bays in the off street car park.

The comments made :
http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2013/motorhome-parking-15-02-13.php

That just about sums it up. Cllr Peter Burridge-Clayton seems to think that there would be a need for toilets showers and waste facilities.
It's just a shame that his comments would have been taken at face value at the meeting.
C'mon, own up, how many of you lot have taken out your showers and on board toilets. Hmm. Thought so.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Point of order sir :D I was an officer not a councillor :D

That, however, means I've had to deal with the full range of councillors from the absolutely superb to the downright ignorant :LOL:
Yes, yes Graham, all edited and sorted before you started typing. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: GJH
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We just love it when someone with expert knowledge and the gift of being able to finely craft a letter (or email) responds to officaldom when officaldom gets it wrong ! Well done from us GJH !

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Interestingly in the list of members interests ( Broken Link Removed ) for Burhnam on sea council Louise Parkin is said to be a member of The Showmens Guild of great Britain London and Home Counties Section.

There ya go then ,once they get a bit of property away from the encampment,they think they are,better than everyone else... Hahahaha interesting though ,wonder if the good people of Burnham on sea know they have a fairground worker as a councillor.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Councillor Parkin didn't mention toilet waste and I'd be amazed if any motorhomer emptied that anywhere other than in a recognised dump. What I bet she has seen though is someone either emptying their waste water or letting it " accidentally " leak or possibly emptying their fresh before they go home for the day. She might have seen a boiler dump in cold weather. I guess she has also seen motorhomers sticking vast bags of domestic waste in promenade waste bins that are only meant to take lolly papers etc ?

Whatever: there are motorhomers around, and we have all seen them, who do do this and they give us all a bad name. We all ought to be brave enough to point out to those we can catch at it just what they are doing for public relations.

Thank Graham for your letter, hopefully setting her right on several aspects.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi Graham, thanks for your efforts in taking up the mantle of the Councillor Parkin saga.

Your eloquent and factual reply has certainly put her shooting from the hip approach on the back foot, I doubt very much but would hope that she can respond with the same degree of professionalism.

Well done Graham. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back