May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
Hi.

Don't know if this has been discussed before but I was looking at a way to fit some sort of tracking device and cane across some very useful information.

If you have a redundant smartphone you can use it without a SIM card and permanently wire it into your MH. Using the find my phone app from Google it tells you exactly where the MH is.

I haven't yet found a way of being alerted if it should move, but it seems to be a good idea.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hardly worth bodging it when about ÂŁ50 buys a proper job tracker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Silas

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
No. You don't need a SIM. Ok, it may be only ÂŁ50.00 or so (though I haven't found one for that price) for a proper one, but what advantages does that give me?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I would be reluctant to leave a smartphone on charge permanently with all the fires that have been reported, and they do get quite warm whilst on charge. At least the proper trackers are designed to be wired up permanently!

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I gave up with the phone option. Have a look at Rewire Security products, I have one with a built in battery. Has worked flawlessly, I’ve had it for nearly a year. Under £100.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
How does the phone send you a location with no sim? Does it need to be connected to wifi?

OP
OP
Silas

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
I think it just uses gps and you use phone finder.

Martin Grant

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
Whittlesey, Nr Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 780
Exp
June 2018
Hi. I have an old iphone 4 which is hidden away out of sight, permanently connected to 12v supply. got a free data sim from Three which gives you 200mb data free every month so no cost involved. I then use an app on my iphone 6 called find your friends and track my motorhome wherever it goes. Hope this may help.

Cheeses

Free Member
May 2, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Hymer PVC
Exp
Ages. Since April 2018
I bought a tracker that takes a SIM off Amazon for ÂŁ18. Text it and it shares location back via text and Google map location...can be hidden in the van and connected to always on 12v connection...

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I was under the Impression that the sim type trackers can only give the information of where it was at its last location? Therefore..it does not actually give the information you require as it may have already moved on ? Where as a GPS type does and its location is available whilst on the go?

Just a thought?

Kev

Deleted User
I bought a tracker that takes a SIM off Amazon for ÂŁ18. Text it and it shares location back via text and Google map location...can be hidden in the van and connected to always on 12v connection...
I have similar and can be set to send text if the van is moved.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
What happens if you're in an area with no phone signal?

OP
OP
Silas

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
Can I have details of this please?

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Check the Cellular technology that the dedicated (cheap) tracker uses. Most of the bargain offerings seem to operate on 2G networks. u-Switch is advising that broadband customers will no longer be able to use 2G and 3G platforms by 2020, as 4G and 5G become the industry standard. Looks as if these cheaper trackers are being sold off before they become totally useless!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back