Android App Or Dedicated Satnav? (2 Viewers)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I have always worked on the basis of not putting all my eggs in one basket.

I therefore have a Tomtom to get me about and a phone to keep in contact.

If the Tomtom lets me down , which todate I have to say all the ones I have had never have, I can use a Map although my copilot hasn't got a clue what to do with one or as needs be I can then switch to an App on the phone.

My concern is if I load it all on the phone and it goes wrong it will not only NOT tell me where to go but won't let me contact anyone either. Also the cost to replace a phone if it fails can be a lot more than replacing a GPS.

The Tomtom I have has an inbuilt sim so it is able to give me traffic updates throughout most of Europe with no cost to me for the Data used. This facility which is not cheap to buy has helped us divert around some major problems. There are cheaper units which will get you around Europe but will not have the facility to advise you of problems on your route or if they do have the facility need you to contact your phone and use Data at whatever cost your phone provider requires.

Just to add as an amendment to an earlier comment all the Tomtom models now take 3rd Party POI's but I would say that the very latest models are very different to the earlier models with totally different screen shots. At first this may be confusing for a past Tomtom user but its not that difficult to learn.

Doug

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Because an electric screwdriver is easier that a hand screwdriver!:giggle::p
Not always :)
I needed to replace a bolt in a particularly restricted space last week and there was no way any of my electric drivers (or most hand drivers) would fit. Luckily I bought a set of 3 cranked screwdrivers from somewhere many years ago. I've hardly ever used them but one was just right this time :D(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not always :)
I needed to replace a bolt in a particularly restricted space last week and there was no way any of my electric drivers (or most hand drivers) would fit. Luckily I bought a set of 3 cranked screwdrivers from somewhere many years ago. I've hardly ever used them but one was just right this time :D(y)
Correct. As per your previous post that was your fall back paper map scenario.(y)
Also try taking precision screws out with an electric driver!:whistle::eek:

Reactions: GJH
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Because a sat nav is also "a tool designed for the job" :)
We also carry the Philip's Navigator Camping and Caravanning Atlas of Britain in the van :D
so is an app.....

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
so is an app.....
Ah, but it runs on hardware which isn't designed for the job whereas a map is printed on paper which is :D

Gotta go out shortly so if you want me to think up any more excuses it might be a while :D

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Ha ha, I enjoy the debate.

Well, I'm on Three's package which allows free data in many European countries, so I assume CoPilot App will pick up traffic using this. Like I say, I use my phone exclusively driving around UK (mostly SE) and not had a problem yet.

My partner has her phone as a backup and I'll have my spare phone tucked away too.

And if the setup fails me, then I'll cough up the extra expense and buy a dedicated Garmin or TomTom while abroad. This may happen the first time CoPilot takes me down a road with a low bridge :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Use both satnag and map :) Then if you mess up big time you only have yourself to blame.

I've been using FreeNav and it is okay but not perfect. Might see if Aldi have any of the Garmin's left next time I am there.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well, I'm on Three's package which allows free data in many European countries, so I assume CoPilot App will pick up traffic using this. Like I say, I use my phone exclusively driving around UK (mostly SE) and not had a problem yet.
But if there is no 3 (or their partners) mobile signal what then, eg North of Scotland?:unsure:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I used to be a big co pilot advocate... Its a great app on Android but I have gone down the road of garmin now which is great and I have no issues with gps at all. Still got Co pilot.. Don't expect to use it again tho. The garmin is better all round

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Use both satnag and map :) Then if you mess up big time you only have yourself to blame.

I've been using FreeNav and it is okay but not perfect. Might see if Aldi have any of the Garmin's left next time I am there.
Local Aldi in Glasgow still had some of the 760 Camper on sale on Friday. They will transfer between stores (or they did when they brought our TV down from Oban).

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Local Aldi in Glasgow still had some of the 760 Camper on sale on Friday. They will transfer between stores (or they did when they brought our TV down from Oban).
:glitter:

There were some in Perth as well - I should be in Galashiels later this week and will see if there are any there. If not I'll ask them to get one for me. The new car doesn't have satnag and if I get a stand alone unit it can be transferred between car and motorhome. The new car is tall and with kayaks on the roof even taller so a camper satnav would make sense for both :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just back from the southern rhone used our cheapo chinese sat nav no real problems I think it was about £60 on ebay 7"with a reversing camera

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Ah, but it runs on hardware which isn't designed for the job whereas a map is printed on paper which is :D

Gotta go out shortly so if you want me to think up any more excuses it might be a while :D
Lol...so were not going to get into the debate about designed for the job such as garmin and tomtom both use a variant of linux as the os and the satnav bit is basically an app running on that, so its a basic flavour of an android eco system on a smartphone:LOL:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm sorry but comparing the slickness and usability of a smart phone app such as Co pilot to something like one of the new garmin (or maybe tomotom) sat nav in my view is just not on.
As I previously said.. I loved Co pilot on the Android and I used it for years.. Currently it's on a note 4..

Its never used anymore.. The garmin is smoother (as a program) clearer bigger better.. totally devoted to navigating..
No comparison
If the garmin gets nicked I'll use Co pilot

All my opinion only of course :think:

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Fair enough. Not sure if that was directed at me or just in the general debate. I'm going with CoPilot because I'm on a budget. I have to make compromises, if I just went with the best option everywhere, I'd blow my budget completely. Already spent far more than I initially thought (insurance was the big one here, double what I'd thought).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Lol...so were not going to get into the debate about designed for the job such as garmin and tomtom both use a variant of linux as the os and the satnav bit is basically an app running on that, so its a basic flavour of an android eco system on a smartphone:LOL:
:D If we're into general IT systems we have to consider how badly so many services run these days because they rely on general purpose packages (badly and often incompletely) adapted from their original purpose rather than running on properly designed software :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back