LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And the thing is you did real work with that equipment. GUI could be the worst and best thing ever invented.
Yes we did Brian. Nothing wrong with GUI though. Bloatware owes more to code generators.

I recall being in a sales presentation for some COBOL code generator or other in the late 1980s. The presenter asked what we thought of the code that came out. I told him that if one of my programmers produced such inefficient, bloated cr*p he'd be out on his ear. I wasn't the most popular person in the audience :whistle::LOL:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And the thing is you did real work with that equipment. GUI could be the worst and best thing ever invented.

That's why I like Linux so much. I have my main system setup with a lite GUI and as it is Linux I have a full Unix shell (bash). All the programming languages I can shake a stick at and all configuration files are in plain text none of this registry nonsense.

I spend my working day in Bash, and my leisure time in the GUI. Watching films or browsing the internet in a Bash shell may be doable but it ain't very friendly. Getting real work done is just easier at the command line.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's why I like Linux so much.

I finally bought a Raspberry Pi B+ and it's totally mind altering just what that piddling little board is capable of. Well just about everything most FUNsters need for coppers. In fact since most MHs have a TV anyway it's just about the optimum solution for a MH.

And now there is the Quad Pi.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
And now there is the Quad Pi.
I've just bought a Pi 2, very quick, same price quite exciting apparently it will run Windows 10 as well. Sorry well off topic.

Nexus 5 latest Android, lots of apps installed, slow switching apps, but generally fine once loaded, occasional issue with Gmail thats all though.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
For what it is worth...

I have AVG on my Galaxy Note 4 phone and also have CM Security and CCleaner.

The last two are always telling me how much good they have done for me freeing up RAM, switching off unused apps and guarding me against horrid virus thingies.

Everything seems to work more than just ok... (y)

(I have 3 gigs of Random Access Memory as well as loads more gigs of storage memory...)

JJ :cool:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I just put ccleaner on my phone for a laugh and discovered that of my 2g ram, 3/4 of it is in use most of the time... have to have a proper look at what's running soon I think.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The latest twist in this saga is 5.1 installed itself yesterday. There have been a couple of odd error messages but everything seems to be running other than iPlayer which refuses to start. All apps are up to date but hopefully a fix for iPlayer will be issued in due course.

Edit: Just learned from the BBC this is a known problem and they are working to fix it. Apparently iPlayer will work if you access it through a browser, it is the app which has the problem.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I just put ccleaner on my phone for a laugh and discovered that of my 2g ram, 3/4 of it is in use most of the time... have to have a proper look at what's running soon I think.

I have super task killer on my home page, it always shows loads of apps loaded that I never use, I think it just stuffs a load in RAM just in case. Even if I kill them all they come back. Probably just a feature of Android.

Reactions: DBK
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Gents...bin those task killers..they can do more harm than good, especially where battery life is concerned

Android is designed to make maximum use of the memory...having loads of spare memory kicking around unused is not a good use of resources

Android has very good built in management for background apps etc - messing with that can cause niggles as some of those apps that you think you never use may well be used by the system in support of things you do use...

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Latest update on this saga is I did a "factory reset" on my Nexus 7 today. I won't describe the process as it can be easily found with a bit of Googling. The resetting is a quick process but the rebuilding takes several hours.

I had been reluctant to do this previously because I didn't want to have to reload all my apps but I needn't have worried because after churning away all afternoon as it automatically reinstalled all my apps it is now more or less as it was before and seems to be running sweetly. It seems once you re-enter your Google ID the system knows what should be on your device and reinstalls it.

Early days but I thought I would pass on that a factory reset in Android is not too painful. It isn't quite the same as a clean install on Windows as it doesn't, as I understand it, wipe everything.

My tablet was backed up in the Google "Cloud" and this made I think restoring everything easy. Although the process might be a bit disturbing perhaps for some as I haven't had to re-enter passwords because presumably these were stored by Mr Google somewhere.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It isn't quite the same as a clean install on Windows as it doesn't, as I understand it, wipe everything.

Ah, but if you used Macrium Reflect!!!:giggle:(y)
v6 is out now and gives differential and scheduled back-up functionality.(y)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ah, but if you used Macrium Reflect!!!:giggle:(y)
v6 is out now and gives differential and scheduled back-up functionality.(y)
Yes, I have that on my PC now though I think it is the previous version.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Latest update on this saga is I did a "factory reset" on my Nexus 7 today. I won't describe the process as it can be easily found with a bit of Googling. The resetting is a quick process but the rebuilding takes several hours.

I had been reluctant to do this previously because I didn't want to have to reload all my apps but I needn't have worried because after churning away all afternoon as it automatically reinstalled all my apps it is now more or less as it was before and seems to be running sweetly. It seems once you re-enter your Google ID the system knows what should be on your device and reinstalls it.

Early days but I thought I would pass on that a factory reset in Android is not too painful. It isn't quite the same as a clean install on Windows as it doesn't, as I understand it, wipe everything.

My tablet was backed up in the Google "Cloud" and this made I think restoring everything easy. Although the process might be a bit disturbing perhaps for some as I haven't had to re-enter passwords because presumably these were stored by Mr Google somewhere.
I followed these instructions which speeded mine up.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I followed these instructions which speeded mine up.

I wiped the cache and it made an improvement but from the same menu there is a delete data (or something like that) option which is what I chose this time. It initially brings the device back to something like it was when it came out of the box, with the exception of the OS which will be the latest. Then when you enter your Google login it sets about reinstalling everything automatically.

So far it is working well and not freezing every now and again which was what was happening.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back