And update on the trailer situation (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As you may remember, 45 miles before the gearbox decided to die in the motorhome, we had a wheel bearing collapse on the trailer.
It went in a BIG way and damaged the axle.

Up shot is the folk in France cannot get anything like it and say they can have one made in four or five weeks.
The cost of this, plus the fitting etc etc will be somewhat more than the value of the trailer ( £800 )

So I now have to get to France and collect the car, and they are keeping the trailer waving the parking fees accrued ( not mentioned before ) in lue of them keeping the trailer :-(
All I will have to pay them is the recovery fee to take the trailer off the garage forecourt on the motorway to their garage ( 2 or 3 miles ) which I suspect will be about 200 € from what I can gather.

Hope to do the collection on Saturday if I can find someone willing to jump on he back of my bike and then drive the smartie home

I must thank Frankie ( @yodeli )for being an absolute god send by being the intermediary in all of this.. I think I would never have got anything sorted out without her help !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No internet in France then John.

Someone made the bearing and a pound to a penny it wasnt unique to that axle/trailer....could fit a myriad of different machines.

A company near me can provide almost any current bearing by the dimensions and whether high speed or not.

Opps, just realised it also damaged the axle.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If it was just the bearing it would def not be a problem mate..
My luck is continuing as I cannot find anyone who can go with me ( and it now seems it MUST be Thursday )

Getting to the point where despair is starting to kick in.. just wanna hold up my hands and give in

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would have thought there must be somebody on here going over this week, get a lift with them, small admin fee to change their ticket, job done, I would if I was (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That would be nice David, but I know full well it aint gonna happen mate..
If I fell in a bowl of money at the moment I would just get a broken tooth from hitting the only 50p in it !

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Shame I am so far away or I would come with you no problem John. I had the same thing happen to me the bearing went and stripped the retaining nut off and ground away the backplate. I managed a temporary repair of the backplate and disabled the brakes. the thread was damaged so I filed it down all the way around and cut a new thread the next size down, new bearing and got home ok. Anything is salvageable if you have the gear handy. Is there no funster going that way who could drop you off so you could drive the smarty home?
A frame smarty back or borrow another trailer?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sadly the stub axle has a massive EXTRA groove and all sorts of other damage where the tapered part fits.. there are chunks and bumps out it all over the place..
To be honest, if I could have got it home I know full well I could have fixed it,,, But I can't so there is sod all I can do except swallow the loss.. And the way things are going I might end up losing my car as well.. If that happens then it will be good bye motorhome as I cannot afford to replace the car on top of all the expenses getting the gear box sorted out etc etc..

Proly being massively negative here to be truthful, but starting to find it pretty hard to find any bright sides now .. The 'feeling sorry for myself' thing is no good at all so will just have to buck up and find something to smile about :)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
get there on your own without the bike, nearest airport, train bus, thumb etc
Come on funsters this man needs help. Where exactly is the smart.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
John.............. If it`s any help...... after next Tues/Weds, I will be free...

Don`t know what you are thinking of,,,, but I have a Kia Ceed. (Not mine it`s Judy`s.. :Eeek:)......

It has a tow bar and should just about pull the Smart & Trailer if you have the bit`s to fix the trailer...

Seem`s a shame to leave the trailer if it can be fixed... Even if the trailer can be patched up and towed solo and you drive the Smart..

Offer is there if you want.. (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I know exactly where your coming Frome john can you post some picks of the axle can it not be reworked so you can get it home.
if I was fit john I wold jump at the chance to help you
good luck mate
bill

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am sorry I cannot help you out John as am still in Spain,but maybe something like this. Do the job and sell it on afterwards.
Broken Link Removed

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
John you can still go only next Tuesday. The lady said (as you leave he trailer there for their benefit) you won't have any parking fee. So nothing obliges you to be there on Thursday.

Monday being "Easter Monday", they can't be shut AND complain you didn't pick up the car! I won't let them anyway.

Don't give up! I'm sure there's a way to get there, by train or bus if you're on your own. What about your insurance company? Don't they do this sort of service? taking you where the car is? Breakdown insurance are made for this, aren't they? If only I was up there.....

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Wouldn't it be possible to go down with another trailer with a winch and piggy back them home.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
John,
Apologies if this sounds silly, could you not foot passenger it on the ferry and try to make friends with Brits going approximately in the direction you want, thumb it the remainder of the way (y)

Dismantle/scrap trailer and then simply drive the car home, just trying to think of a way out of your predicament as I really don't have any idea of the cost of a trailer.

Good luck whatever you do.

Norman.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Hi John
Where abouts is the car? We know people in St Pol near Arras who i'm sure would only be too happy to help out fellow bikers if they could.
Paul

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Is the stub axle bolted on to the main frame or is it welded on. There's a large trailer manufacturer near Bolton who have a trade counter for new spare parts called Inde spension.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Indespension Trailers are listed on the internet. Chorley New Road, Horwich Nr Bolton BL6 6HG. Phone no 01204 478 591. They stock thousands of trailer parts.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just how desperate are you - and have you really run out of alternatives :wasntme: ???
I don't have a crash helmet, nor any leathers and haven't been on a bike for thirty+ years [sounding good so far n'cest pas]
But I have a clean licence, regularly drive long distances and am game for adventure.
...and I'm about at the weekend.

Don't give up.
[ps, how much beer can a smart car carry ::bigsmile: ?]

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thank you one and all for your thoughts and kind words. Greatly appreciated one and all (y)

It is not an indespension unit sadly.. It is a complete cross beam axle !

It is 108 miles down the A16/A28

The most excellent news is that Richard has VERY kindly stepped up to the oche and it is now all sorted out.

With considerable help from Frankie a deal has been done

The trailer will remain with the garage to cover all fees incurred except the towing fee.. Total costs of sorting it and getting it back would have amounted to just over 2/3rds the value of the thing.. So given that and all the grief I am just going to swallow it.

We will be on French soil TOMORROW (Tuesday ) by 10.20 am..
Cost of all the tickets comes to about £120 all up..

Fuel .. gawd knows but not a lot

Lunch for Richard will proly cost an arm and a leg but I would not care a jot and he deserves what ever he wants :) !!!!
( how much IS foie gras and Beluga caviare nowadays any way ?? )

Tow off the motorway fee.. No real idea but from past experience anything from 50 to 200 €

Fortunately I sold my little C90 tonight so that will cover it all nicely

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
@Jaws
Hi john
I think Esclavelles is just down the road from my uncles place near Neufchâtel en Bray, so definitely doable in a day...
Clare and I are free on Thursday, so could give you a lift down there in our car, if you can get here (near the dartford tunnel)
Would need to work out times though... and just checked, £30 return on P&O for car, so can't be bad
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Glad you are sorted John (y)(y)