And the prize for the item most often bought, never used and resold goes to... (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I knew nothing about the magic rafter, but I do have a curved rafter, which has helped enormously, since it holds the windout awnings roof in tension, and means we can safely leave it out at night. And if it gets bad, you can hear it!

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Motorhome = flexibility = drive on/off with the minimum of fuss

If you need to build an awning then you should be a tugger, or you've got the wrong motorhome.

Windout sunshades are a different topic.

Others might disagree.
Motorhome = whatever you want it to be = set up with whatever suits you.

1. Been a tugger. Had three awnings for it.
2. Got a wind out canopy and a G3 residence static awning for when we towed a small car on a trailer. Worked, but getting loaded up was a proper fag.
3. Now got a driveaway awning.

It is whatever works best for you. We like lots of internal space, and will often stay somewhere for a week or more. And there is something relaxing about hearing Welsh rain patter on the awning roof in the evening. On the moho roof it sounds like a GPMG on a SF mount.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Of course

That sounds more like tugger behaviour to me, rather than chugging

GPMG ???
SF Mount ???
Lost me there :unsure:
Sorry, General Purpose Machine Gun on a static fire mount.

I was a tugger. Being a chugger suits us better, because it gives us a little more flexibility and nipping off for a weekend is easier in a moho. What suits one, won't suit another. We have to book sites wherever we go because we need the certainty. Wilding isn't something we can do, and anyway, we like ending up somewhere sunny and beachy and staying for a week. Works for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hiya Tony, can you please expand on how the magic rafter solves wind problems, The reason I ask is we have just had a Fiama wind out awning fitted, I have ordered a tie down kit but was still going to take it in at night when we use it.
Does the magic rafter mean that you dont need to do this? https://www.leisuredepot.co.uk/fiamma-magic-rafter-canopy-awning-support.html
The rafter runs the length of the awning and attaches to both spring arms. It tensions the fabric and prevents the arms folding. So wind can't lift the fabric and the fabric can't flap. With decent tie-downs the awning can't move. I don't try to prove anything so if high winds are expected I bring it in. Overnight if wind increases enough to be a concern we know we'll hear it long before it's strong enough to damage anything. It is however proof against pretty strong winds and definitely safe against the odd unexpected gust.

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
The rafter runs the length of the awning and attaches to both spring arms. It tensions the fabric and prevents the arms folding. So wind can't lift the fabric and the fabric can't flap. With decent tie-downs the awning can't move. I don't try to prove anything so if high winds are expected I bring it in. Overnight if wind increases enough to be a concern we know we'll hear it long before it's strong enough to damage anything. It is however proof against pretty strong winds and definitely safe against the odd unexpected gust.
Hiya Tony like this one ?
1643722702477.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Is this a licence consideration or fuel consumption? Either way, it's not a problem for us and I'm sure we'd get a lot of use out of it.....but now you have me thinking again! I'm going to be interested in what others have to say :)
If you mainly use sites or go abroad get one..
If you mainly wildcamp…. Possibly not.
Mitch

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suspect that the problem would arise once you realise that the wind strength is too high for the rafter to cope as you're going to have to take it off first to put the awning away and hope it doesn't meanwhile take off. I'm going to stick to putting ours away at night or whenever we leave the motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back