...and still it leaks!!!! (1 Viewer)

M

matttrim

Deleted User
Hi everyone
Our Talbot Express began leaking after i cleaned the roof with water and a brush(wally). I obviously dislodged some of the original seelant on the seems, so i got back up there and removed all the rubber seelant that was perishing and crumbeling away and went over it with a new white seelant gun. We still have the odd leak in heavy rain.
Is anyone able to help me out, are there any good tapes on the market that i can go over all the roof seals again?

Thanks
Matt

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Matt,

I made the same mistake and disturbed the tapes joining the roof .Eternabond tape will seal the old tape Joins.EternaBond - Leak Repair

This will sort out the whole roof.Plas T Cote.

Have a word with LindyC at Stateside.She should be able to supply it.

aeeb_2.JPG

Last edited:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I use to be a roofer years ago and I got into rubber roofing...............it is a one piece membrane that is made to measure for your roof, easy to fit with rubber adhestive and unleakable.

I've been told they use a similar thing on new US RV's these days :)
The thing is it would only cost about £150.00 to buy (inc glue) and a doddle to fit ::bigsmile:

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Looked into epdm sheet to replace mine too Boo.

Mine is 30 years old.

You don't mind fitting it for me do you?:RollEyes:

Only Kidding.

OP
OP
M

matttrim

Deleted User
thanks very much guys, i shall look into this and see which option to take.
again thanks very much

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Steve (american dream) has miss one point.......yours is a fibreglass/ABS roof.:Doh:
the stuff steve recomended is a rubber roof sealing compound.

i wouldnt think sealing tape would be a long term repair.

you'll probably have to rake out as much sealer as you can and start again with a good quality sealer.....not the stuff from B+Q.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Steve (american dream) has miss one point.......yours is a fibreglass/ABS roof.:Doh:

you'll probably have to rake out as much sealer as you can and start again with a good quality sealer.....not the stuff from B+Q.

You are absolutely right John, although the Rubber Roof stuff would do the job, its an expensive option. Personally I would recommend re sealing as you suggested but a protective coating of something such as Link Removed would seal any pinholes or crazed areas giving total protection.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree with John..

but better to wait until the weather is warmer and drier, this is a summer job.. in the meantime, do your best you can with the sealer you have, then visit a caravan dealer and buy the proper sealer.. but don't put it off too long, once water gets in it doesn't take long for the rot to set in.. then it's a major repair job.
Depending on where it's leaking it may be worthwhile re sealing under roof lights, vents or whatever else is on the roof..

There are two types of sealer, one is silicone based and used for exposed seams, this sets but remains pliable, the other is a mastic, common brand is IDL , this is non drying, should be used under roof light flanges, bedding in windows, hidden joints etc..

Seek advice from a dealer if unsure of what to buy..

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
leaky roof

Hi Matt,

I made the same mistake and disturbed the tapes joining the roof .Eternabond tape will seal the old tape Joins.EternaBond - Leak Repair

This will sort out the whole roof.Plas T Cote.

Have a word with LindyC at Stateside.She should be able to supply it.

aeeb_2.JPG

we made the same mistake fixed with silicone waited for hot weather then took old ou t and renewed have you got a private reg on your motorhome matt have one for sale on retention cert so all ready to go on it is D734 MAT if your interested good luck with roof

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

Sorry John....:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Got my head in RV mode.

Slap me with a wet fish and I'll retire into the dark dingy places....

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
cant have any wet fish steve

haven't you read my other thread....Artical 47 ?

Just going there John...

fish_britania.gif
[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o]YouTube - Monty Python- Fish Slapping Dance![/ame]

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Looked into epdm sheet to replace mine too Boo.

Mine is 30 years old.

You don't mind fitting it for me do you?:RollEyes:

Only Kidding.

I could certainly talk you through it mate, you could then paint it silver with solar paint :)
Alternative is to use bitumen mastic on the cracks/holes (sticks to wet roofs) and bitumen paint...........then go over with solat paint :)

Hope this helps

Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I could certainly talk you through it mate, you could then paint it silver with solar paint :)
Alternative is to use bitumen mastic on the cracks/holes (sticks to wet roofs) and bitumen paint...........then go over with solat paint :)

Or you could really push the boat out and use rubberex green mineral tourch on felt ..................then you could put your patio up there ;)

Hope this helps

Boo

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
and still it leaks

There is a product called acrypol,we use it to seal leaks on flat roofs,joints etc.It is apllied by brush or roller.
About £20 for 2.5lts from most roofing and builders merchants.My uncle has a boat and i suggested it to him about 4years ago when he had a slight leak.He hasent had a problem since.
Dave.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back