And some say Brittany Ferries are Expensive? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Zebrugge - Hull

1st September 2018
Motorhome 7 meters
2 Adults, 2 Children and 1 Infant.

£805 ONE WAY!

(£425 Hook of Holland - Harwich with Stena Line)

Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 10.24.45.png

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hull and Newcastle you have to boot well in advance to get an ok price

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I know this.

But, even with the LAST cabin available to from Santander - Portsmouth on Pont Aven with Brittany Ferries in August (I have just price checked it). Same motorhome, same passengers £800 without Club de Voyage, £600 with and £720 with a Funster like mines 10% off.

And its a much longer crossing.

I usually try and book early with all ferries. Problem with North Sea is I rarely know, other than Winter ski trips when this well be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Wouldn’t it be cheaper than either to drive to Calais and get either a boat or the train?

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Well I don’t know what you are doing wrong I just checked my booking that I made in January to travel out Portsmouth to Caen today as it happens and back hook of Holland to harwich with stena £324 the lot!

Admittedly there are only two of us and we chose day crossings in both directions but you are choosing an expensive way to cross the channel given when you have attempted to book

Best think again

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The overnight ferries are very expensive, we have done Newcastle to Ijmuiden a few times, you always get a better deal by ringing them up and asking for a bit off too.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We use Newcastle to Ijmuiden fairly often
Its not cheep but from Scotland if you include fuel and also time it suits us,
If I had more time I would consider other options but untill I can retire I dont have the time to spare

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We use Newcastle to Ijmuiden fairly often
Its not cheep but from Scotland if you include fuel and also time it suits us,
If I had more time I would consider other options but untill I can retire I dont have the time to spare

Yes exactly the same as us, if retired we would probably amble down to Dover.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I wonder how many people are looking forward to retirement just so they can get cheaper crossing at Dover. We've travelled from Manchester every year, 10 years before retirement and happily enjoyed the drive down. Day in Kent then cross.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder how many people are looking forward to retirement just so they can get cheaper crossing at Dover. We've travelled from Manchester every year, 10 years before retirement and happily enjoyed the drive down. Day in Kent then cross.

There is a lot of ifs and buts involved, what job you have, how many days holiday you get each year, whether you can wangle a couple of extra days at the start/finish of your holiday etc

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
never yet enjoyed the trip round London to Folkestone

Not too bad on the way down, excited for trip etc, but coming home it never fails to take the shine off our trip away

We use the tunnel purely for convenience due to Lola our dog, it will be back to Hull when we have no dog again

But do agree that price seems bonkers, you might even find a return would be cheaper :)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Looking forward to making more use of the van:)
Just not sure when it will happen yet:(

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
There is a lot of ifs and buts involved, what job you have, how many days holiday you get each year, whether you can wangle a couple of extra days at the start/finish of your holiday etc
Of course there are ifs and buts as there are in life.
After a weeks work, we decided we'd go down to Dover. I had a few hours rest and so did Swmbo. We travel down late at night. Pick up food etc from Asda and tootle on through the night stopping a couple of times. Nowhere near the volume of traffic and we arrive in Kent in the early hours. Go to Canterbury for the day, possibly Herne Bay and go to the crossing a few hours early.
Inevitably we boarded early, got to France and onto Cite Europe for a good sleep.
Yes there's things that some can't do but that's not to say its not doable

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
On a "cost per mile" basis it's quite reasonable :)

I've just been in touch with Western Ferries who run the little service from Gourock to Dunoon. A 15 minute crossing (less than 5 miles) will cost £31.50 for a 5m - 6m long motorhome.

At £6.30 per mile, your 280 nautical miles is going to cost a lot more than you've been quoted :LOL::LOL:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I know this.

But, even with the LAST cabin available to from Santander - Portsmouth on Pont Aven with Brittany Ferries in August (I have just price checked it). Same motorhome, same passengers £800 without Club de Voyage, £600 with and £720 with a Funster like mines 10% off.
t price.
And its a much longer crossing.

I usually try and book early with all ferries. Problem with North Sea is I rarely know, other than Winter ski trips when this well be.

You can guess approximately when you want to return and book your passage at the besT price. It is usually no hassle and only a very modest fee to change dates. I have done ot on that route before and if memory serves me right it was £25 to change dates. I changed about three times as first of all we found somewhere we liked and wanted to stay, then the weather got bad so we decided to go back earlier, then the weather improved again (it was early November in Germany/Holland).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back