And it's hello from us....... (1 Viewer)

Kath 'n' Ken

Free Member
Mar 4, 2017
Sudbury, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
We're newbies
Hi everyone, we've just bought a motorhome as we're planning to drive to Corfu later this year (we drove once before many years ago but stayed overnight in b and bs en route. This time we thought we'd like to have a go in a motorhome especially as we're taking our Westie, Rose, so won't have to worry for one thing about finding dog friendly accommodation! I'm so glad to have found this site as I'm sure I will have many questions and need for help before we go :) One question to start off with - can anybody recommend a website where you can enter your route from start to finish and get a good map with campsites showing? Many thanks in advance :D2

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
To answer your question, your route will depend on many factors such as whether you prefer motorway to non-motorway, whether you want to meander via interesting places or drive direct.
You can get lots of ideas on this site by using the search button or just ask the direct question.
For campsites, if travelling outside of July and August you could get the ACSI book which gives good discounts on a large number of sites that are all of good standard (Vicarious Books). There are various recommended apps such as Camper Contact that give a wider range of places to stop.
It is nice not to plan ahead in too much detail, there are so many places to stop that we find best to plan only a day or two ahead depending on how we feel that day about travelling.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hiya, welcome to the fun house!

As for driving to Corfu ... you might want to decide which way you want to go first, either down Italy and across from there, or down through Croatia, Bosnia and Albania and then across - the latter might prove to be more difficult due to having to get insurance for Bosnia and possibly dog passport issues.

OP
OP
Kath 'n' Ken

Kath 'n' Ken

Free Member
Mar 4, 2017
Sudbury, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
We're newbies
Hiya, welcome to the fun house!

As for driving to Corfu ... you might want to decide which way you want to go first, either down Italy and across from there, or down through Croatia, Bosnia and Albania and then across - the latter might prove to be more difficult due to having to get insurance for Bosnia and possibly dog passport issues.

Thank you for your reply, yes we will go down through Italy as we did last time, have passport for Rose all ready! Because most of what we all look for is available online now I was hoping I could just put in my start end end points and be supplied with a map showing various routes and campsites, saving myself all the hassle of doing that! Perhaps I should post my question on another part of the forum, I expect not everyone looks at the newbie part :D2

OP
OP
Kath 'n' Ken

Kath 'n' Ken

Free Member
Mar 4, 2017
Sudbury, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
We're newbies
View attachment 150719
To answer your question, your route will depend on many factors such as whether you prefer motorway to non-motorway, whether you want to meander via interesting places or drive direct.
You can get lots of ideas on this site by using the search button or just ask the direct question.
For campsites, if travelling outside of July and August you could get the ACSI book which gives good discounts on a large number of sites that are all of good standard (Vicarious Books). There are various recommended apps such as Camper Contact that give a wider range of places to stop.
It is nice not to plan ahead in too much detail, there are so many places to stop that we find best to plan only a day or two ahead depending on how we feel that day about travelling.

Thank you, I am reassured by your comment that there are so many places to stop! I will certainly get the book you recommend and look into the apps :)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We haven't ventured that far yet. Where do you from the bottom of Italy then?
Re the route through Italy - it depends on how much time you have. Wegot as far as Sorrento in very easy stages going down from The Ligurian Coast and via Pisa, Lucca, Rome. The coast from there down to the bottom of Italy is quite sparse I've been told. Not many campsites.
Next year we might be going to Sicily and then via Puglia to Venice. May get the ferry from Genoa down the coast as it's quicker and won't cost much more.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you for your reply, yes we will go down through Italy as we did last time, have passport for Rose all ready! Because most of what we all look for is available online now I was hoping I could just put in my start end end points and be supplied with a map showing various routes and campsites, saving myself all the hassle of doing that! Perhaps I should post my question on another part of the forum, I expect not everyone looks at the newbie part :D2
You could use the ViaMichelin planner here, Lancaster to Bari to get the ferry to Greece is 2545km using toll roads and just under 25 hours straight:

Lancaster to Bari

OP
OP
Kath 'n' Ken

Kath 'n' Ken

Free Member
Mar 4, 2017
Sudbury, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
We're newbies
We haven't ventured that far yet. Where do you from the bottom of Italy then?
Re the route through Italy - it depends on how much time you have. Wegot as far as Sorrento in very easy stages going down from The Ligurian Coast and via Pisa, Lucca, Rome. The coast from there down to the bottom of Italy is quite sparse I've been told. Not many campsites.
Next year we might be going to Sicily and then via Puglia to Venice. May get the ferry from Genoa down the coast as it's quicker and won't cost much more.

We went across from Brindisi to Corfu

You could use the ViaMichelin planner here, Lancaster to Bari to get the ferry to Greece is 2545km using toll roads and just under 25 hours straight:

Lancaster to Bari

Thank you - will definitely look up the ViaMichelin planner!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back