And.. it sort of continues !! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just checked on something and had cause to turn the fan on in the cab..
Bloody control resistor has blown.. All I have is flat out of nowt, so I know full well what it is.

Ordered a replacement ( £12.95 ) but now have the wonderful job of trying to figure out how to take most of the lower dash apart to get at it !

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
just do it lol... I took the dash out of my van for no other reason than to trace some wires... it came with an aux fuse box fitted and ford were no help at all ..in the end I just had to bite the bullet as they say...
enjoy it ...im sure you will sort it ..
ta andy
2011-03-24 12.31.59.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Bloody control resistor has blown.. All I have is flat out of nowt, so I know full well what it is.

Ordered a replacement ( £12.95 ) but now have the wonderful job of trying to figure out how to take most of the lower dash apart to get at it !

Can you do mine as well please ?
:)

just do it lol... I took the dash out of my van for no other reason than to trace some wires... it came with an aux fuse box fitted and ford were no help at all ..in the end I just had to bite the bullet as they say...
ta andy
View attachment 58674
You'd be finished quicker if so much tea wasn't evident .:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
ta andy
View attachment 58674
That's one of those "quick jobs" .... that escalated :winky:

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009

I'm looking forward to this if the step is anything to go by, good luck Jaws

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
That's one way of putting people off motorhomes that's for sure. Changing fuses ok but major dash strip downs no way, unless you know what your doing.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
ta andy
View attachment 58674

What are you looking for?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That's one way of putting people off motorhomes that's for sure. Changing fuses ok but major dash strip downs no way, unless you know what your doing.

I didn't lol ..a steep learning curve :LOL:

What are you looking for?

don't want to be hijacking jaws thread but posted picture as a bit of a joke with jaws..
a brief reply to you ....my van is a panel van conversion.. the van came with an aux fuse box set up which I believe is not that common but I decided to utilise that feature for some of my circuits ..was trying to keep any additional wiring as separate from vehicle wiring as possible and it became obvious I was going to have to find the source of some of the wiring.. I thought the easiest way was to remove the dash and trace the wires....all that was a few years ago... and that's the reason :)

I wonder will jaws post a picture of his dash strip down to replace the blower resistor...??????

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Heater blower resistor pack is a doddle on Ducatos of almost all ages, on the X250 you can get at it from just below the passengers glovebox. Could be worth getting a new plug and wiring (available on ebay) as they're known for burning the contacts.

D.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Heater blower resistor pack is a doddle on Ducatos of almost all ages, on the X250 you can get at it from just below the passengers glovebox. Could be worth getting a new plug and wiring (available on ebay) as they're known for burning the contacts.

D.
Thanks for the Dave.. save me digging around looking.. I knew it was somewhere in the air stream but not where !

Yes.. its a typical poorly thought out system..
If there is ANY sign of over heating of the connector block I will remove the plug and socket completely and solder the wires together as I do on some wayward motorcycle charging systems.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
New plugs are available with wire tails fitted John, at least one of the Vauxhall range uses the same plug and wiring.

D.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yesssss.. But sooner or later they will end up the same.. They are using a spade type connection ( which when you analyse it has small contact areas ) for a high amperage application.. cutting the things right off and soldering is a far better and more permanent solution ( though I appreciate not for every one of course ! :) )
I will remove a bit of the plastic and solder tails to the terminals of the resistor, cut the wires off the plug and hey presto ! Job jobbe

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have ABOUT 10 mains irons, three gas ones, and two 12v ones ( that are bloody useless even though they are Antex )
The gas ones are really excellent though (y)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
yes my son swears by his gas one. unless it is very windy

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
New plugs are available with wire tails fitted John, at least one of the Vauxhall range uses the same plug and wiring.

D.
As a matter of interest, before I started the job I did have a look at those Dave.. £25 a go !!!
Pass ! ;)

Took the old resistor out and somewhat frazzled.
Looked in the end of the plug and yes, could see where it had at some time got hot.. Not gone yet but a definite potential issue in the future.

Cut away a bit of the plastic shroud on the new one, and soldered a couple of inches of wire to each tag. ( I used some solid core stuff from an odd bit of 2.5 twin and earth )

Cut the wires off the socket end and soldered to the new wires.. Refitted and jobs a good un (y)(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
ta andy
View attachment 58674
I though the screen had to go too to get the top screws unless they are using clips now.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If I'm picking you up right, no screws to remove at the front. A few rivits to drill out at rhe front which I replaced with riv nuts to make the job easier if it ever has to come out again.
Tpa andy

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
ta andy
View attachment 58674

Looks like something out of 'Terminator
'

Brave man(y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OH SOD IT !!!!!!!!!!!!
mate has just popped round with a wee box in his hand..

here ya go mate.. That heater control you wanted ..

But I ordered one off fleabay and it is fitted.. You never got back to me ( works for a Pug main dealer )

Ahh errrrrr

Well seeing as he is a good source of genuine parts I did not want to upset him.. so paid him for it..

If anyone wants a genuine Fiat / Pug resistor pack for £12.00 gimme a shout !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back