Andover
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Newbie - 15 years tin tenting
:)

Morning all !

The good news is that we've spent 15 years caravanning and have decided that a motorhome will get us out more often and be more appropriate for our needs ...

The bad news is that we know damn all about motorhomes and I'm struggling to find any useful tools for identifying MHs that fit our criteria - you can look forward to lots of questions when I finish working my way through a few thousand posts on here

:cool:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:welc: Morning Bob, welcome to Fun, you like many of us have been Tuggers for a long time, so proberly have an idea of the lay out that will work for you.

Work out what length you will be happy with driving, what price range, will you want a panel van or coach built, get a general idea ask as many questions as you like .

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Welcome :)

We switched from a caravan recently but spent a long time looking at motorhomes. We basically decided how big and then looked at all the layouts. We found the shows to be the best place to see all the types of layouts available. Once we chose the layout it was a case of how much. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Big welcome! The trick is to forget you were tuggers otherwise you will start to think you need tuggy things like a standalone awning and a car to get about when on site. Some folk do need these but they are the minority. I am a great believer in decluttering and the simple life means having fewer bits of stuff around you. :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Bob, welcome to the fun :)

There are lots of things to consider, the key issue is that the layout is right for you and the style of motorhoming you will be doing. Once you have that nailed down you'll find you've narrowed the bewildering choices down quite a bit. You really should visit a show. There are tBroken Link Removed, these are great for research as there will be hundreds of motorhomes on display, and you'll have plenty of time to look them all over. This will really help you decide on the layout that might best suit you. Meanwhile have a look at the buyers guide in my signature (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Predictable Bob

Predictable Bob

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Andover
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks for the welcome !

Part of the reason we're switching is that our needs have changed (Kids are now 21 and they ain't coming with us even if they want to !). We're expecting to make a few mistakes but hopefully they won't be too expensive;)

Length isn't an issue from a driving perspective but may be from a practical point of view - it won't be stored at home but will probably 'visit' now and then for a bath or de-clutter so it'll have to be short enough to get down our road and turn round without too much hassle - we live at the bottom of a cul de sac.

I've spent some time nosing about today and I'm already beginning to despair - the manufacturers sites aren't very helpful ! I suspect we'll be visiting any localish shows as well as the NEC in October, meanwhile I'll just keep on reading !

Cheers !

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Bob and welcome :welc:
We also tugged for a while (20years) but now find we use our motorhome far more than we ever did our caravan. In fact at least every month!!!
Hope you're able to do the same. (y)

OP
OP
Predictable Bob

Predictable Bob

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Andover
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The plan is to aim for two weekends a month plus a couple of proper holidays ;)

We used to do that with our van but it's got a lot harder now the better half has changed jobs and is working longer hours

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:welc:

We downsized from a huge Hymer...... We wrote out a list of criteria (the list will be different for everyone) and looked at vans that fit the criteria.

The important things for us (not in order)
Layout
Travelling seats / seatbelts
Berths
Payload
Minimum changes in floor levels.

Good luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries