An interesting doggy poop article (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Cant see the article. But I would get surprised looks when I told people who stayed at our CL in Wales to walk their dog in the field and don't pick up (It was a big 7 acre field).

Thing is, my own dog a large German Shepherd took a poo in the very same place in the field most mornings for many years. But walk over there and you'd never find it, flies, slugs, wind, rain, bacteria would destroy it and return it to the earth. Far better than sticking it in a bin in a bag and waiting for fortnightly collections.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It just had to be a dog owner to come up with this idea....:unsure:

She just can't be arsed to pick up 3 lots of crap...:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our local forestry commission have been advertising stick and flick for a few years now on footpaths and just leave where it lands if dog does it in woods. I think it's better than folk picking it up then hanging the bag on a tree or chucking it in the bush.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Not long ago on Country file they were telling us that cows can catch a fatal disease from dog poo and it should be picked up as it was costing farmers a lot in lost animals.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Lived in the countryside all my life always treat cows with respect as taught when little by my mum and dad.never had any problems with them.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I wonder why dog poo is worse for cows than fox, badger, rabbit, or hare poo?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Cant see the article. But I would get surprised looks when I told people who stayed at our CL in Wales to walk their dog in the field and don't pick up (It was a big 7 acre field).

Thing is, my own dog a large German Shepherd took a poo in the very same place in the field most mornings for many years. But walk over there and you'd never find it, flies, slugs, wind, rain, bacteria would destroy it and return it to the earth. Far better than sticking it in a bin in a bag and waiting for fortnightly collections.

If you have dog you should pick it up and bin it, don't think people would be too happy on my local CL if I just nipped into the field and snapped one off, don't worry the flies,slugs, wind and rain will sort it out

Caron

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Exp
New
I am not a dog owner and have frequently been disgusted at the behaviour of some dog owners. HOwever I have never understood why it is deemed necessary to bag dog poo when in the countryside. It seems a much better idea to flick it into the undergrowth where it can rot down, rather than incubating the germs in a nasty bag.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sheep grazing on grass tainted with Dog Whoopsee can get cysts on their Livers, this devalues the Carcass when the sheep is slaughtered.

Just saying:gum:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was talking about MY CL I never had livestock in my fields and If I asked you not to bag it but you insisted. No worries as long as you took it with you ;)

If you have dog you should pick it up and bin it, don't think people would be too happy on my local CL if I just nipped into the field and snapped one off, don't worry the flies,slugs, wind and rain will sort it out

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I was talking about MY CL I never had livestock in my fields and If I asked you not to bag it but you insisted. No worries as long as you took it with you ;)
Fair enough, just read it again and you do say our CL
Unfortunately on a lot CL we use with dog walks people just leave it, we (well the wife) always pick it up as it's not fair on non dog owners

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Fair enough, just read it again and you do say our CL
Unfortunately on a lot CL we use with dog walks people just leave it, we (well the wife) always pick it up as it's not fair on non dog owners

I was just stating my experience of how quickly dog poo breaks down,
(In wet Wales at least) Of course I agree with you; on others property or public places then you pick up and dispose of responsibly.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lived in the countryside all my life always treat cows with respect as taught when little by my mum and dad.never had any problems with them.
Me too. I've certainly never regarded them as 'dangerous'. Curious always, defensive sometimes, but never dangerous. Mind you there are some who think geese & swans are dangerous.:D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I am not a dog owner and have frequently been disgusted at the behaviour of some dog owners. HOwever I have never understood why it is deemed necessary to bag dog poo when in the countryside. It seems a much better idea to flick it into the undergrowth where it can rot down, rather than incubating the germs in a nasty bag.
Totally agree, I do always pick up, which bearing in mind the size of our dog, can often involve a "double bag" pick up.

What I don't understand are those who take the time to pick up, and then chuck it onto a tree! If I am walking in an unfamiliar area, and I don't encounter a bin, it comes home with me (home being the van). I always know where the nearest bin is from the van.

Amusingly, wifey deals with Rosie's early morning ablutions, if the bin is a long way away, she will bring the leavings back, and put the bag on the step. When I awake several hours later, I get informed that I need to head off to the bin! So if you are ever at a Britstop, and you see a van with loaded poo bags on the step - that's us! :D

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Don't be diverted by the arguments over dog waste in fields, yes you can "flick" it on the verge but please not in the field and pick-up instead. Dogs can and do carry a disease that is dangerous to cattle. Neosporosis is an infectious disease of cattle caused by a parasite transmitted in dog faeces, and is the most commonly diagnosed cause of abortion in cattle in the UK. Around 5% of cattle aborted this year due to neosporosis. The disease is estimated by Dairy Co to cost the average herd £3000 per year due to abortions, reduced milk yields and poor fertility, presenting a significant constraint to sustainable cattle production in the UK.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Don't be diverted by the arguments over dog waste in fields, yes you can "flick" it on the verge but please not in the field and pick-up instead. Dogs can and do carry a disease that is dangerous to cattle. Neosporosis is an infectious disease of cattle caused by a parasite transmitted in dog faeces, and is the most commonly diagnosed cause of abortion in cattle in the UK. Around 5% of cattle aborted this year due to neosporosis. The disease is estimated by Dairy Co to cost the average herd £3000 per year due to abortions, reduced milk yields and poor fertility, presenting a significant constraint to sustainable cattle production in the UK.
You beat me to it, also, the toxicara (I think that's right) virus, which can cause blindness in infants.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Plus, when you was a kid did you not play in the undergrowth...? Have you seen kids play in the woods lately.... the places I use to get to when playing hide and seek...

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

I'm sorry to point out an error in your post! But I think the correct description is to "Curl one out" I think it's best to be correct in these matters.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm sorry to point out an error in your post! But I think the correct description is to "Curl one out" I think it's best to be correct in these matters.
I think it rather depends on the preceding meal :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back