An idea for diesel heater fuel pump sound suppression (1 Viewer)

Mr Drizz

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Dispatch.
Exp
2018 but still a newbie.
So I hope to be soon fitting the diesel heater and I've had an idea to help suppress the "tick tick tick" of the pump.

Take an electrical junction box, put the pump inside and encase it in silicone casting (stuff they use to made moulds)

In theory once the silicone has set the rubberised nature of it should reduce noise transmitting through the body work and the density of it should reduce the audible sound.

I have seen folks put them in boxes before but never using this method.

The only issue I can think of is heat dissipation from the pump. Do they even get that warm?

What do you think?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think there could also be an issue accessing the pump if it fails. Our pump is outside but we still hear it reading this I wonder if the noise is transmitted through the diesel in the pipe as sounds travel better through liquids.

OP
OP
Mr Drizz

Mr Drizz

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Liverpool, UK
Funster No
MH
Citroen Dispatch.
Exp
2018 but still a newbie.
That's a good point but I wouldn't have though you would get that much sounds transmission through the fuel line.

As for access. The silicone is very easy to cut.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Being a very light sleeper I did the best I could to quieten our diesel heater fuel pump.
I hung it from cable ties which worked well, but then I found the ticking noise was being transferred via each point that the fuel line touched the van floor or chassis.
To cure this I passed the fuel line through soft plastic tubing, the type used for fish tank air lines, but I have now bought and fitted a silent diesel heater fuel pump which is virtually silent and a much more reliable and robust unit.

For the first video on the silent pump, you will need to click on the Watch on YouTube

1629101012809.png

1629101181453.png

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I tried the box with neoprane. Not effective. The best is as Two on Tour mentioned: suspended of cable ties and soft ends on the pipe if it touches the body. The tank to pump I have rubber line, and from the pump to heater, I passed the hard line through a larger rubber Line. It’s best compromise so far, before I will try the silent pump.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
I've got an Eberspacher, mounted underneath, with the standard silencer, and no extra sound insulation. I was worried that it would be noisy but, in practice, it's fine. If I set it to start up at 7 in the morning then it wakes me for a couple of minutes, but that's all. You can hear the burner when it's on high (which it does for a few minutes after starting), but the noise is irrelevant if you're on a site, and probably irrelevant if you're wild camping.

Besides, the noise doesn't come from the fuel pump - I can't hear it at all - it comes from the exhaust.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
For other applications i have successfully reduced the noise of clicking solenoids by making a wooden box that is lined with acoustic foam (egg box shaped stuff). I've had good results with that approach.

Screenshot 2021-08-16 at 11.52.12.png

madroy

Free Member
Apr 23, 2018
Funster No
I tried the box with neoprane. Not effective. The best is as Two on Tour mentioned: suspended of cable ties and soft ends on the pipe if it touches the body. The tank to pump I have rubber line, and from the pump to heater, I passed the hard line through a larger rubber Line. It’s best compromise so far, before I will try the silent pump.

madroy

Free Member
Apr 23, 2018
Funster No
So I hope to be soon fitting the diesel heater and I've had an idea to help suppress the "tick tick tick" of the pump.

Take an electrical junction box, put the pump inside and encase it in silicone casting (stuff they use to made moulds)

In theory once the silicone has set the rubberised nature of it should reduce noise transmitting through the body work and the density of it should reduce the audible sound.

I have seen folks put them in boxes before but never using this method.

The only issue I can think of is heat dissipation from the pump. Do they even get that warm?

What do you think?
I've hung my pump on cable ties. Works well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back