An electric bike question (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My 61 year old sister is struggling badly cycling to work. Her knees are shot and its getting very hard for her. She was looking at getting a wee car but the running costs are beyond what she can afford.

So I suggested and electric bike.

Here requirements are two journeys to work and back each day. so for trips at about for miles each day so say 16 miles daily. Her route takes her up hill on the way so its roughly 8 miles of her commute up hill and 8 down hill.

This is every day 5 days a week so a bike if suitable needs to be able to cope with what to me is quite a lot of use. Sister is ... Well not of slight build either :)

So will one of these electric bikes do the job ? If so which one is best and where would be a good place to buy from hopefully with decent back up ?

Remember this is a bike for a twice daily commute not for just a few miles each holiday so it would have to be man enough for the job .

Many thanks ! (y)(y)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Have a Google for Woosh Cycles, they have been around a long time and have lots of practical information on their site. All electric bikes are electric assist, they are not like a moped. We have two of their bikes and did over 1000 miles on mine the first year. Bear in mind that with the change in legislation bikes sold after January 2016 must be peddled all the time.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
There's lots on the market. We have Kalkhoff ones. I have this one. http://electricbikereview.com/kalkhoff/sahel-compact-i8/

I'm a similar age to your sister and find it really easy to ride and comfortable - hills are a doddle, even really steep ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Its all a matter of budget Charlie, would rather have a good used then a new rubbish e bike. let us know the budget and i'll hunt round. I prefer bikes with the Bosch drive system

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That range is certainly well within our AS Bikes range..
I think it was Donna ( our daughter ) who did 28 miles in Germany on hers !! ( She is a bit of a fitness freak like her old man, Des )

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
She was looking at getting a wee car but the running costs are beyond what she can afford.

Many thanks ! (y)(y)

If this implies she has a full car licence then her best bet is a 50cc scooter. Definitely enough power. Costs little to run and can be bought cheaper than a good e-bike that will only give her help up a hill.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
look at adds that allow offers like this one..you can be surprised what they will accept this time of year with 2015 stock to shift

Broken Link Removed

This one £862 postage normally around 40-60 quid. would try an offer £700 and take it from here. even at advertised price its very good value. Agree with @hilldweller about the scooter. but that wont strenthen her legs or improve her health and general well being..

If you don't use em you loose em!:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Its all a matter of budget Charlie, would rather have a good used then a new rubbish e bike. let us know the budget and i'll hunt round. I prefer bikes with the Bosch drive system

Doesn't have to be new mate.. Budget is on the tight side but I will advise her on the fact cheap is a false economy. I should stress it's only looking and seeking advice as to wether one of these bikes will do the job not aggressively looking to buy ! Cheers !

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If this implies she has a full car licence then her best bet is a 50cc scooter. Definitely enough power. Costs little to run and can be bought cheaper than a good e-bike that will only give her help up a hill.

I'm not sure a motor scooter would be a great idea.. She has cycled for over 40 years but the transformation to a scooter might not be good for her. I think a bicycle with assistance may be s better bet . Plus she hasn't got insurance MOT and tax to budget for ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have you considered upgrading here current bike to an E Bike - loads of kits on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...bike+kit.TRS0&_nkw=electric+bike+kit&_sacat=0

pretty crude to be honest and i feel without knowing her that a cyclist of 40 years will much prefer a bike with the Bosch system. May suite some looking for cheap bit of assistance but tend to be unreliable as well

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
That range is certainly well within our AS Bikes range..
I think it was Donna ( our daughter ) who did 28 miles in Germany on hers !! ( She is a bit of a fitness freak like her old man, Des )

I did 26 miles on my AS Bike one day this summer (I'm no fitness freak and I'm on the large side) and the battery was still on two lights out of three. They have a new model which is said to have a range of 60 miles.

However best to try a number of bikes to see what suits. You may even find an electric moped would suit better.

What suits one person will be very uncomfortable for another no matter what the purchase price so you do need to try a lot of them and for a decent length of time.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
@Steve devon at last, no one else I speak to has heard of gepida, I love mine, got it this year I negotiated with nationwide ebikes and got money off and free postage (normally £80). The bike is strong, I use it much more than I used my normal bike and I fully recommend them. I followed the judges advice, @Judgemental - Bosch is best.

IMAG0262.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Bosch is best IF you can manage the step through. AS bikes have a lower step through. Try as many as possible and then decide.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
@Steve devon at last, no one else I speak to has heard of gepida, I love mine, got it this year I negotiated with nationwide ebikes and got money off and free postage (normally £80). The bike is strong, I use it much more than I used my normal bike and I fully recommend them. I followed the judges advice, @Judgemental - Bosch is best.

View attachment 82046
Yep we got ours from nationwide in Taunton they are the same as yours but red. We live in north Devon but store the motorhome at wellington, two a bikes on a towbar mounted bike rack on a fiat 500 coming out of north Devon is a comical site !!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One consideration for any e-bike is the cost of the battery - some are horrendously priced, so make sure the warranty length and cost of replacement is considered.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I did hear you could take the cover off, and buy individual batteries a lot cheaper , can't be sure it's true though
Few articles on line but looking at the cost of individual cells works out the same and a lot of hassel, you just have to pay for quality.

Pleased we paid the extra for Bosch power something you won't regret.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I did hear you could take the cover off, and buy individual batteries a lot cheaper , can't be sure it's true though

They are a quality product..last many years if looked after. Bikes I sold nearly 5 years ago still going strong on original battery.. There are Chinese copies available, early ones where rubbish but im out of touch with recent situation. Have a look on German pedelec forum. But with a strong exchange rate you can buy the real thing......

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Google 50 cycles they will give you loads of advice. Last year I purchased a kalkhoff for my wife whose knees were also giving her trouble. Great bike, great quality.

StephenH

Free Member
Mar 9, 2017
Southport
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Electric bikes still aren't for everyone because of new UK legislation you still have to pedal the bike (although cycling can aid some knee conditions, it can make others worse, so bets to ask her GP OR Rheumetologist) but the motor aids your pedalling so you have to do maybe 50% less work than on a standard bike. You could buy a second hand older electric bike which requires no pedalling (can't be bought new anymore) but if its going to be used daily you would be better buying new. Maybe do a free 14 day trial of the gtech or the All Seasons bikes, then she can see what she thinks and can return if not ideal for her!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back