An Easy USB Socket Fit for a Dashcam (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wanted to fit a USB socket on my dashboard which could be used to power a dashcam. This meant I needed to connect it to a supply which was only live when the ignition was turned on. After a bit of head scratching I discovered it was very much easier to do than I expected.

What follows is for a 2013 X250 Fiat Ducato - other models may and almost certainly will be different. :)

And apologies for the rubbish photos, they were taken with my phone as I was too lazy to go and get my proper camera.

On my dashboard there is a 180W power socket which I use to power the satnav. Next to it was a blank plug which after looking at the manual is for a cigar lighter on some models. Removing the plug I discovered it was the perfect size for a USB socket.

This is the view after I had fitted the USB socket. Note the T20 Torx screw in the bottom of the cup holder.

DSC_0503.JPG

This screw is all that holds in this bit of the dashboard but it does take a bit of gentle tugging to remove it. There are several tabs around the outside but if you start at the top left and spring this loose by inserting a screwdriver in and gentling pulling it forward you should be able to remove the section without breaking anything.

When you have it off, ferret around in the wiring and you should find a plug looking like this.

DSC_0498.JPG

This is the same sort of plug as used on the power socket which you can see bottom right in the picture above. The trick to this mod is you need to use a USB socket which has the contacts spaced exactly right for it to fit on this existing plug.

Amazon product ASIN B00R5W9K3Y

The socket I bought (see above) fits the plug exactly. Here is the socket fitted and the two terminals on the rear of it. The existing 180W power socket is on the right.

DSC_0501.JPG

The plug has three wires, one +ve and one -ve and a third wire which doesn't seem to do anything. :) The plug fits over the USB socket using the outer two spade connections with the centre one unused. If the world was perfect the power connections would be on the outside of the plug but they aren't, so you have to change them round. :)

If you look at this photo again.

DSC_0498.JPG

You will see three brown/orange tags at the top. These are a single bit of plastic and it can be removed after a bit of teasing with a small screwdriver. If you look below them you may see three tongues of plastic. These hold the spade connectors in place. With your small screwdriver you can lift these up one at a time and withdraw the connector. You need to rearrange the connectors so the power goes to the outer terminals with the unused third wire in the middle. It is essential to use a multimeter to find out the polarity of these - after turning the ignition key on of course. :)

The plug will then fit directly onto the back of the USB socket. It stays in place by friction but if it was loose you could nip the spade connectors up a bit to tighten their grip. :)

DSC_0502.JPG

Obviously you need to make sure the polarity is correct, the back of the USB socket has + and - marked against the terminals.

Then put it all back together and congratulate yourself. :)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Neat job @DBK but it only took me around 30 seconds to pull out the Cig Lighter and plug in on of these (which is almost a flush):

Plug1.jpg

Details at:

Amazon product ASIN B074M7M44R
Anyone interested in this type of adaptor needs to check current ratings. Some of the cheaper ones have USB sockets only good for up to 1 amp - net enough for heavier rated equipment such as an iPad.

As this then left only the one 12v socket (the ones in the habitation area are unpowered when the engine is running) and I wanted more, I also fitted one of these (exactly the size for a push fit into the adjacent holder - never been sure whether this was intended to be for a cup or to use as an ashtray):

Plug2.jpg

Details at:

Amazon product ASIN B00O0872TA
Of course, the same or similar models are available from sellers other than Amazon.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Nice job

I believe the 'third wire' you refer to is for the bulb in the factory fit cigar lighter socket - comes on with the lights (+ feed)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nice job

I believe the 'third wire' you refer to is for the bulb in the factory fit cigar lighter socket - comes on with the lights (+ feed)
That makes sense, I couldn't find any voltage on it but I didn't try with the lights on. :)

Which has me thinking I could use it for my compass - which has a light but I've not connected it. :)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Always good when the job just flows and everything goes right.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Always good when the job just flows and everything goes right.
It was a surprise it all fitted together. I am not normally that lucky. :)

But as @Millcourt says, there are other ways to do it but this option seems quite neat.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Neat job @DBK but it only took me around 30 seconds to pull out the Cig Lighter and plug in on of these (which is almost a flush):

View attachment 249410

Details at:

Amazon product ASIN B074M7M44R
Anyone interested in this type of adaptor needs to check current ratings. Some of the cheaper ones have USB sockets only good for up to 1 amp - net enough for heavier rated equipment such as an iPad.

As this then left only the one 12v socket (the ones in the habitation area are unpowered when the engine is running) and I wanted more, I also fitted one of these (exactly the size for a push fit into the adjacent holder - never been sure whether this was intended to be for a cup or to use as an ashtray):

View attachment 249412

Details at:

Amazon product ASIN B00O0872TA
Of course, the same or similar models are available from sellers other than Amazon.
Just ordered the plug in adapter, looks top quality... Mmm aluminium :love:

I don't use the cheap Chinese sockets, but at least in DBK's case it will be easy to swap when the electronics let go :LOL: no offence :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just ordered the plug in adapter, looks top quality... Mmm aluminium :love:

I don't use the cheap Chinese sockets, but at least in DBK's case it will be easy to swap when the electronics let go :LOL: no offence :)
I've seen on here photos of one which melted but I've got three others in the van and the oldest has been there four years. At least wired to the ignition we will be in the vehicle if it blows up. :)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
upload_2018-8-16_22-33-5.jpeg

Nice job...:D
Have you got the little rubber mat that fits into the cup holder where the Torx screw is..?

If not I have a spare somewhere that I could send you ..... makes it neater (y)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The 3m USB cable arrived today and here it is fitted, looking reasonably neat as I had hoped. It is fed under the windscreen blind then around the nearside of the windscreen, tucked under the trim.

DSC_0508.JPG

The cigar lighter plug goes to the satnav, which I put in the bottom right of the screen.

Thinking again how I did this you could use any suitable USB socket because the spade connectors could be removed from the existing plug then put directly onto the USB socket terminals. Ideally fitted with heat-shrink tube but insulation tape would work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back