An app to open downloaded file. (1 Viewer)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I have a Acer laptop, which I admit I don’t understand very well. It’s on W10.
It became slower and slower till it eventually threw the towel and refused to be owned by a numpty!
I took it along to a very nice man that owns a computer shop that advertises as a numpty put right man. They do have a good reputation.
It transpires that the laptop was so badly corrupted that it refused to work any more, so he saved the bits I wanted to keep, photos and music mainly, then removed W10 completely.
It was then reinstalled, again with W10 and returned as a brand new machine. (The lap top itself is immaculate, just the software was corrupted)
My problem now is that I need to update the sat-nav in my Smartie due to the imminent update to the WNRO code which involves downloading a file from Tom Tom.
I’ve successfully :LOL::LOL: downloaded the file but Acrobate won’t open it so it can be transferred to a USB stick.
Any ideas anybody? If possible keep your suggestions to one syllable, or preferably one letter.

Thanks
Your computer king
Geoff

Brucek

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Funster No
Can't you just drag and drop the file onto your memory stick without opening it?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
The file will consist of a filename and suffix. An example would be 'filename.pdf' it is the suffix .pdf which determines what program the file needs to open it. The program may not be on your computer and you can install it.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
By default the suffix (.pdf , .doc etc) is hidden. If you right click on the file you'll be able to see the suffix and a google may then tell you which program can open the file.

Sometimes windows expects certain files to be opened by a particular program. It may want to try and open pdf files through the all encompassing edge browser thing. But that can be a problem. Again right click and you should get a menu allowing you other "open with" options.

My recollection of most sat nav update things is that, at Brucek suggests, you copy the file to a USB stick rather than open it, place stick in the van's socket and then run the update option on the sat nav.

But there should be some sort of instruction set on both the tom tom site and that came with your sat nav?

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
The file name appears to be TomTom.000
Acrobat says it is unable to open it.

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I’ve just tried @Brucek suggestion. It appears to be downloading now. I’m off to put it in the car!!!
Many thanks to you all

Brucek

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Funster No
To drag and drop it, assuming you are using a touchpad 'virtual mouse'

Plug in your memory stick
Open Windows explorer (using the Windows menu bottom left of your screen)
The memory stick should show up as a 'drive' in explorer maybe e: or f:
Find your tomtom file and move the arrow over it using your touchpad
Click the left touchpad button and hold it down
Using the touchpad you should be able to drag it to your memory stick
Then let go the left button to drop it onto your memory stick.

Once you do this you should be able to plug the memory stick into the satnav which should be able to read it

Edit:
Sorry just read your post, didn't mean to treat you like the beginner you obviously are not!

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Brucek,
Beginner! I should wish I was that qualified:D.
Thanks for your help, now succeeded. I’ve been four days trying to do this!
Thanks to all of you for your help

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back