An alternative to winter camping. (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just for a change this year instead of bringing a large motorhome down to Benidorm with all the inherent costs of travel we thought we would rent a beachfront apartment. The main reason for this was we have family flying in for a 10 day visit followed by more of the family arriving later for 3 weeks. We have a three bedroom, two bathroom beachfront apartment with balcony overlooking Levante beach for the princely sum of 800 Emus per month all in. We have been paying 450 Emus per month on the camping, plus gas and a little electricity and another 20 Emus per month for wifi, and this is only for a patch of dirt. When you start to add up the little extras like a campsite wash for laundry and all the bits and pieces I dont think there will be much difference in price, and the view is to die for. For a family, its a no brainer.
Cannon camera 008.JPG

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Interesting post for the Continental TOURING section of a Motorhome forum.

JJ :cool:

PS. Camping?

How can living in a airconditioned/centrally heated motorhome with all facilities be called "camping".

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Interesting post for the Continental TOURING section of a Motorhome forum.

JJ :cool:

PS. Camping?

How can living in a airconditioned/centrally heated motorhome with all facilities be called "camping".

Well I did TOUR down here from Liverpool :D. I will also be TOURING back round to Bulgaria once the footpaths have warmed up a bit :LOL:.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We've rented a 3 bed villa, all included 600€ a month this winter, 2000 m2 of garden for the dog and cat...Walk to bars and restaurant, inland from Torre del Mar, on the side of Lake Vinuela...

When you consider that a large extended family of 6 can stay in a beachfront apartment in old town Benidorm for less than £30 per week per person, water, electric, gas and wifi included. It would be almost impossible to stay at home in the UK during winter for that sort of money. Its not difficult for anyone to overwinter in the sun if you do a little research. The Benidorm Dinners were out for cocktails yesterday afternoon and my bill for which included 5 cocktails, a very, very large G&T, coffee and Baileys with a cake came to 28 Emus. Try getting that in the UK. Four of us then went out to lunch and for 10 Emus each had a three course meal. An unusually expensive day for me, but enjoyable never the less. Even at the poor exchange rate of 1-19, two people out all day fed and watered for £20 each.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
This is our first long trip to Benidorm, did 3 nights last time. Would have to agree, I think Benidorm would be better done staying in an apartment rather than our camper van for extended trips. Don't think we would manage to get anything with 3 dogs though. :(

Lin :)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Don't think we would manage to get anything with 3 dogs though. :(
They excepted me.....Also JJ was here once :).

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thats a good deal SB, just looked on airbnb and a similar flat, in fact it must be close to yours as the view is similar, is well over £1000.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thats a good deal SB, just looked on airbnb and a similar flat, in fact it must be close to yours as the view is similar, is well over £1000.

Thats what you get by early booking, also being a member of AirbnB helps ;).

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
When you consider that a large extended family of 6 can stay in a beachfront apartment in old town Benidorm for less than £30 per week per person, water, electric, gas and wifi included. It would be almost impossible to stay at home in the UK during winter for that sort of money. Its not difficult for anyone to overwinter in the sun if you do a little research. The Benidorm Dinners were out for cocktails yesterday afternoon and my bill for which included 5 cocktails, a very, very large G&T, coffee and Baileys with a cake came to 28 Emus. Try getting that in the UK. Four of us then went out to lunch and for 10 Emus each had a three course meal. An unusually expensive day for me, but enjoyable never the less. Even at the poor exchange rate of 1-19, two people out all day fed and watered for £20 each.

What's the cost of a long crossing with a MH return...€1000+....Flights are cheap and car rental from €30 per week...Sometimes it is difficult to justify any alternative...

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Even traveling by car with stopping at B and B on the way down would not be so bad. No worries of weight in bags that way either. Are the areas where the villas and flats are well occupied or a bit of a ghost town?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Even traveling by car with stopping at B and B on the way down would not be so bad. No worries of weight in bags that way either. Are the areas where the villas and flats are well occupied or a bit of a ghost town?

Ghost town !!!. Am on Levante beach, old town end. Like Las Vegas, it never closes.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

The choice during the winter months is endless...Some in the centre, on the beach...some quieter, some in middle of farmland...

Chose what you prefer and start looking....Anywhere south of Valencia all the way around...

Animals reduce your choice, so does UK TV....

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We have never been, just when in France in the October we walked of an evening along some places and a block of flats would only have 4 or 5 flats illuminated. The rest looked empty.

Deleted User
We stayed at a mates Villa in Greece a couple of years back for a couple of weeks. It made a nice change to park up and have some extra space. It's something would like to do when we don't have the dogs, travel around for few weeks/months then mix in a stop at an apartment or Villa now and again.

Lin :)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Amazing view better than tv Will you miss the campsite community ? By reading your previous posts sounded like you used to keep your eye out for a bargain and a deal. I love being on sites watching whats going on etc but I could get used to that Villa no doubt.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Amazing view better than tv Will you miss the campsite community ? By reading your previous posts sounded like you used to keep your eye out for a bargain and a deal. I love being on sites watching whats going on etc but I could get used to that Villa no doubt.

I dont go anywhere without being able to watch Cora. It used to be a problem lugging a 1.2 metre dish around Europe, but with the advent of an android box the worlds TV is my oyster. My problem now is fighting off the sports fanatics that keep wanting to visit at strange times of the day and night :rolleyes:.
I would obviously miss the campsite community if I was out in the sticks somewhere, but being in old town there is always something going on and people watching second to none. For instance, we just nipped out to get bread and stopped for a tapas and chat with a couple of Dutch people who have the apartment above. The local community in old town is very similar to campsite life. Many are residents going about there day to day lives.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you go for a cheap apartment in the middle of nowhere then it may be like a ghost town in winter BUT ... Benidorm!!!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Received an email this morning offering car hire from Malaga airport for €53.45 a MONTH....for January...€65 at Alicante, but €129 at Valencia....

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Received an email this morning offering car hire from Malaga airport for €53.45 a MONTH....for January...€65 at Alicante, but €129 at Valencia....

At those prices, is it worth dragging a car down here. So for 865 Emus per month you get a beachfront 3 bed apartment and car hire. Add to that the £40 return flights to the UK every 90 days, to keep things legal, cheap food and drink and you would be hard pressed to stay in the UK during the winter for that sort of money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back