An alternative to the Mont Blanc tunnel? Thinking of Greece. (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As per the message, is there a viable (for that read less expensive) method of getting into northern Italy from the area south of Geneva other than by using the tunnel? We are having thoughts of going to Greece next year (Thank you Robert Clark)
Time is not of an issue and, as we don't live in the SE, the thought of travelling up to the Straits of Dover and on through to Lux. doesn't do it for me.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Enter from Basel (Brim in Basel Germany) (cheaper than France) Down through Switzerland (£32 Vignette 3.5T motorhome) (Gothard Tunnel) enter Italy at Como and keep on Toll roads to Ancona. (Might have to put a few litres of fuel in, in Italy then Brim in Greece. Job Done.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look at getting into Italy via Chambery ? It looks like a straight forward route but depends on how far south you are of Geniva.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Went over The Gotthard pass a few years back. Drops down in Lake Maggiore. Then down to Milan.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Before I retired I used to use Mt Cenis. Its free and a lovely run over the top. They have since stopped trucks going over there I believe,but you will be OK with a motorhome. My old girl having a breather outside Victors on top of the Cenis.
img023.jpg
img024.jpg

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Munich, Brenner, Ancona

Ah! The old pincer movement avoiding Switzerland to the West and, going 200 miles further on to Munchen, going through Austria.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Last post(whole)
Last leg
Last line?
Which?
I misread your original post and assumed you were leaving from the UK , so recommended a route from Dover. Now realise you want to depart somewhere south of Geneva and depending how far south looks a very straight forward drive into Italy, depending on time of year. No need to do either the Monte Blanc or Gothard tunnel, just head straight across to Milan and pick up the toll road to Ancona.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I misread your original post and assumed you were leaving from the UK , so recommended a route from Dover. Now realise you want to depart somewhere south of Geneva and depending how far south looks a very straight forward drive into Italy, depending on time of year. No need to do either the Monte Blanc or Gothard tunnel, just head straight across to Milan and pick up the toll road to Ancona.

Hi, You may have misread the OP but in doing do, you've given us a better route.
You're right, living in Cornwall, Dover isn't the obvious choice but going say, to Le Havre from Portsmouth gives us a good route to Basel. All in all, even allowing for the 10day vignette from Switzerland, its a good route. Thank you.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, You may have misread the OP but in doing do, you've given us a better route.
You're right, living in Cornwall, Dover isn't the obvious choice but going say, to Le Havre from Portsmouth gives us a good route to Basel. All in all, even allowing for the 10day vignette from Switzerland, its a good route. Thank you.
The Swiss Vignette lasts for 12 months. Also, If your going to use France, take into account fuel costs in France which are quite high at the moment and possibly higher now than the UK. How this will be next year is anyone's guess and it might be cheaper for you to drive to dover and get the Dover-Dunkerque ferry than to cross into mid France. whichever option you choose, consider your route via Luxembourg for the cheap fuel with good toll free routes to and from. Then from Luxembourg down to Basel via Metz cross into Basel on the German side and brim which will get you all the way through Switzerland and most of the way to Ancona on one tank. (a small top up will be required). Toll roads in Italy should be used to get to Ancona as I'm reading once you leave the motorways in Italy the roads are in a shocking condition.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had a bloody horrendous traffic jam the last time I used the Mont Blanc tunnel.

I joined the queue in a car with an almost empty tank of diesel and dying for a pi$$.

It turned out it was the first day of the French school holidays and it must have taken us 4 hours to get to the kiosk to get ripped off to use the damn thing.

Not sure what was the worst - the delay in getting out of France, the need to go to the toilet, the worry about the fuel situation or the shock at the cost.

Never again. :mad:

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I had a bloody horrendous traffic jam the last time I used the Mont Blanc tunnel.

I joined the queue in a car with an almost empty tank of diesel and dying for a pi$$.

It turned out it was the first day of the French school holidays and it must have taken us 4 hours to get to the kiosk to get ripped off to use the damn thing.

Not sure what was the worst - the delay in getting out of France, the need to go to the toilet, the worry about the fuel situation or the shock at the cost.

That, (above) and the genetic engineering that prevents me throwing money away is the reason I'm not going underground (if I can help it.)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

How about the M25?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I can recommend mt Cenis s or Mt Genevra passes, though may be closed in the winter. Don't know when you're going.
Or just go down to the med and drive east into Italy.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I can recommend mt Cenis s or Mt Genevra passes, though may be closed in the winter. Don't know when you're going.
Or just go down to the med and drive east into Italy.

Its not for winter so both these are feasible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back