An (Almost) MH Friendly Cooked Oyster Recipe (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In this thread...

...I asked for suggestions for a simple cooked oyster recipe. There were some helpful replies but our own French chef Frankie yodeli had the winning suggestion, oysters cooked in champagne. :)

Now I've only made this once and I didn't weigh or measure out anything so what follows is more of a general description of the recipe and method. It isn't a definitive recipe - I need more practice.

Ingredients: (for two for a light lunch)

6 oysters
Crème fraiche
Knob of butter
Chives
Bottle of Crémant de Loire - or champagne of course. :)
Two egg yokes.
Pepper

Method:

Open the oysters and retain the liquid, remove the flesh from the shells and put to one side.

The liquid needs to be put through a fine strainer to remove any bits of shell.

Melt the butter in a pan. I used about 50g of butter I think. When melted add a third of a glass of the fizz of your choice and a large dessert spoon of crème fraiche. I then added all the strained liquid from the oysters but the result was probably a little too salty. It might be safer adding only half the liquid.

Add the oysters and simmer gently for ten minutes. Then remove the oysters and put to one side.

Add ground black pepper and ideally chopped fresh chives. We couldn't find any but freeze dried ones were better than nothing.

Now turn up the heat and reduce the volume of the liquid by a half then turn off the heat and put to one side to cool off a bit.

LRM_EXPORT_30480551631236_20191008_154038528.jpeg

The eggs are the tricky bit and needs care. Ideally you need a glass bowl over a saucepan of boiling water but we only had an enamelled dish.

Add a splash of fizz to the eggs then give them a quick whisk to combine everything then pour into the dish over boiling water.

Whisk vigorously!

LRM_EXPORT_30532353504185_20191008_154130330.jpeg

The metal dish conducted heat too well so the eggs rapidly began to solidify on the hot surface of the bowl but whisking and adding more fizz stopped me having a plate of scrambled eggs. Adding more fizz to the eggs before heating them is probably the answer.

The mixture will soon begin to thicken. This is the point to add the reduced liquid from the other pan. To reduce the risk of creating an omelet I had cooled some of the liquid by putting it in a cold mug. This I then poured into the eggs while continuously whisking. When all was combined I could then add the rest of the liquid.

I then brought the temperature of the sauce up by keeping it over the boiling water for a bit longer.

The lower part of the oyster shells had been put on the grill tray. Fortunately, the wire of the grill held the shells upright. This is important. :)

Because I might be a bit allergic to raw oysters (and I'm not going to try any to be sure :)) I put the empty shells under the grill for a while and warmed them up a bit to kill off any bugs that might have been lurking in them. I wouldn't over do this in case the shells explode!

LRM_EXPORT_30472782056291_20191008_154030759.jpeg

Then add an oyster to each shell, spoon over some of the sauce, getting as much as you can in each then put under the grill. It should only need a few minutes, taking them out when the top starts to bubble.

Serve and eat with a bit of crusty bread to mop up the sauce. :)

LRM_EXPORT_30525856333198_20191008_154123833.jpeg

They were delicious. Many thanks to yodeli for the suggestion.

If we do it again, and we must, the recipe would easier if I leave out the oyster shells and just use ramekin dishes or an enamelled plate. The shells make it look nice but they are not needed.

You don't need a lot of fizz either, so there will be plenty left over to wash down the oysters. matamoros suggested Crémant de Loire instead of champagne - and it was perfect. :)

LRM_EXPORT_30519393875752_20191008_154117371.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I can't eat anything out of a shell that has been in the sea or a river but well done you. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
People rave about them but I was never that impressed when I tried them. Then the last two times had consequences. :sick::eek:o_O
Pretty disgusting really, when you think about it.....

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
It is usually a christmas warm starter. The Cremant de Loire is usually the alternative to Champagne!
yodeli What would that dish be called in French so I can keep an eye open for it over there? Sounds delish.

I'm not overkeen on raw oysters. I'll eat them if put in front of me but cooked ones are a different thing altogether.

• Nice One!
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Steph prefers hers simple
Shuck the Oyster
place the half shell on the Cadac
Sprinkle a little Sweet Chilli sauce and Worcestershire over

Cook for 3 mins

Eat whilst quaffing your favourite Pineau De Charente

Whilst I will carry on eating them RAW less faffing about and totally delicious

• Thanks
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Steph prefers hers simple
Shuck the Oyster
place the half shell on the Cadac
Sprinkle a little Sweet Chilli sauce and Worcestershire over

Cook for 3 mins

Eat whilst quaffing your favourite Pineau De Charente

Whilst I will carry on eating them RAW less faffing about and totally delicious
That sounds like a simple way of cooking them. :)

I was amazed how cheap they were here. About 50p each depending on size. €6 for a dozen so there is no reason not to try them, using whatever recipe matches your sphincter muscles. :)

I guess what I need is a recipe like the one I followed but where you can use sauces out of a jar or bottle to be truly MH friendly. :)

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
That sounds like a simple way of cooking them. :)

I guess what I need is a recipe like the one I followed but where you can use sauces out of a jar or bottle to be truly MH friendly. :)

I NEVER EVER use bottle cooking sauces - I have my spice draw in the motorhome kitchen and it's always kept full then I have Soy,Chilli, Worcestershire, Oyster, tomato puree and Passatta in another cupboard and always carry EV OLive Oil Sunflower oil

• Thanks
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I NEVER EVER use bottle cooking sauces - I have my spice draw in the motorhome kitchen and it's always kept full then I have Soy,Chilli, Worcestershire, Oyster, tomato puree and Passatta in another cupboard and always carry EV OLive Oil Sunflower oil
99% of me wants to agree with you and today's meal wasn't hugely difficult to make. But I was wondering if there was a really easy easy to make cooked oysters. I'm attracted to the BBQ approach, essentially boiled/roasted but a nice sauce helps them down I think.

You can get Béchamel sauce in jars...

Sep 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
99% of me wants to agree with you and today's meal wasn't hugely difficult to make. But I was wondering if there was a really easy easy to make cooked oysters. I'm attracted to the BBQ approach, essentially boiled/roasted but a nice sauce helps them down I think.

Cheats method for sauce - milk or cream, butter and cornflour slurry, obviously season to taste

• Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back