Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone

Over the past month or so I have been making plans to take to the road in a camper van and I'm getting more and more excited at the prospect as the days go by.

I'm 54, single, no mortgage and a grown-up daughter who lives away from home. I love Britain, particularly the coast, and travelling around it in a camper is something I've wanted to do since I was a small child. I actually once bought an on VW camper van when I was about 20 and had the intention of travelling with it but I got into a relationship with someone who wasn't into the idea and, well, I made a choice.

I feel now is the time to do what I've always dreamt of doing. I'm ready to leave my job and could easily afford a couple of years travelling around the country before I had to even start to think about earning again. Everything is just pointing to this moment in my life.

I'm quite good at living a minimalist life and actually relish the idea of being compact and neat in a camper van. My current plan is to spend six months researching things, buying a van and getting used to driving it before setting off in Spring 2022. I'm going to keep my house just as it is so that I can come back to it as and when I need to but the intention is to spend long periods away (three months at a time minimum, but probably more like six).

I don't have a fixed budget for the van and it seems that every time I look at different options, I get tempted by something more and more expensive! I want quality and ease-of-life features as much as possible. I just watched a video about the new Pilote V600G Fiat conversion which looks absolutely stunning but has a price to match. I need to come up with some kind of budget but I'm assuming that vans can hold their value pretty well after maybe three or four years.

I'll be travelling solo. I'm happy and content with my own company. I'm into photography and have such a long list of books that I want to read that they alone will keep me occupied for a very long time. I noticed there's a subforum for solo travellers but it's not much used. I'd certainly be interested in meet-ups and being part of a community.

Really looking forward to reading through these forums and reading experiences etc.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
:welco:
Very exciting times ahead. You've got a plan and it sounds great. No last minute relationships unless its with a kindred spirit ;)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Welcome,

Firstly note that after 5 posts you have to pay up subs of 20 quid a year which could ultimately save you thousands.
The van is a choice thing that suits you but numerous different positives to different ones.
6 months research is a fair old time (IMV)
My initial thoughts on a van would be bed, shower toilet, cooker, solar and lpg, comfortable seating area and the rest is down to where you want it.
Once off and about you could start a thread and as long as you included photos (cos I like photos) then you will find a number of people will follow your "blog"/thread and offer advice of where to go when you are in that area.
Take a look at these couple of threads and waste a couple of days reading through them of a singular male traveller on here going to Spain then Greece and picking up a couple of poochies (his van is for sale atm as well)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/tam-and-toby-hunting-zorba-take-two.227984/
This would be his second trip and if i tag him like this Northernraider he will remember the name of his first one and post a link if I ask nicely (y)

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Family Matters Hello GIF

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome,

Firstly note that after 5 posts you have to pay up subs of 20 quid a year which could ultimately save you thousands.
The van is a choice thing that suits you but numerous different positives to different ones.
6 months research is a fair old time (IMV)
My initial thoughts on a van would be bed, shower toilet, cooker, solar and lpg, comfortable seating area and the rest is down to where you want it.
Once off and about you could start a thread and as long as you included photos (cos I like photos) then you will find a number of people will follow your "blog"/thread and offer advice of where to go when you are in that area.
Take a look at these couple of threads and waste a couple of days reading through them of a singular male traveller on here going to Spain then Greece and picking up a couple of poochies (his van is for sale atm as well)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/tam-and-toby-hunting-zorba-take-two.227984/
This would be his second trip and if i tag him like this Northernraider he will remember the name of his first one and post a link if I ask nicely (y)
Thanks for the thread tip - I'll certainly read through it. Yes, I've seen there's a subscription and will be taking it out. Ā£20 a year is very fair.
The six month timeframe for planning etc. is quite long but it involves other things outside of just my trip plans - like winding down my job and getting that all in order. Also I like the idea of setting off in the spring.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Welcome SirPooley,
you say you are going to spend 6 months considering vans, well make a list of must haves, like to haves and could use if required.
Go and visit as many vans as possible (hard at present with many dealers low on stock, but get a feel for size, space facilities, and decide what layout you think will suit you.
Remember than most people are not happy within van until the 3rd one owned, so if you can save money by hiring different ones to get a real feel for layouts, it will save you a fortune in the long run.
Also apart from the UK are you thinking of going abroad if so where and what is the expected climate ? Many vans are not set up for very cold climates or very hot ones
So many things to think about but you need to as a Motorhome will be a big investment.
Dont forget your subs so you can continue to pick brains šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
A great introduction. Thank you for sharing your plans for the future. You will get value for money from Motorhome Fun and, speaking personally, I am looking forward to following your progress and seeing your photographs.
I recommend you keep a journal or a blog. It will be something to give you warm and fuzzies when you're in the old folks home!

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from over the county line in Gloucestershire! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back