Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I just bought an Avtex TV for the motorhome, and although I am sure it is obvious, I just want to check :RollEyes:

TV is 35 Watt, runs on 12V and also 230V stepped down to 12V through the transformer.

So if i run it off 12V socket it is pulling just under 3 amps. If I am on hookup, and using the mains socket, does that therefore mean it is only pulling 0.15 Amps?

cannot get my head round whether it is the 230 volt supply or the stepped down 12volt consumption I should be considering :Doh:

Thanks a lot

David

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The current drawn by the TV will be the same in both cases since it is always running from a 12V potential, whether directly or via the power pack. So your calculation of approx. 3 amps when powered directly from a 12V socket is correct. When using the power pack from a 230V AC supply, the current drawn from the mains will depend on the specification of the power pack rather than the 35W power needed by the TV. (It is unlikely to be a transformer by the way - today, most small devices use switched-mode power packs.) Does the power pack state the input current somewhere, or perhaps the power consumption in watts? In practice, I am not sure why you would need to know the current drawn when on mains anyway since a 230V AC supply will be overwhelmingly sufficient for such a small device.

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks Philip. The adaptor says input 1.5 A, output 3.33 A. So that seems to agree.

As for why? Curiosity for one, because i don't like not knowing things. Also because when on 10A hookup i just like to know how much i am using before letting swmbo plug in her hair straighteners ...

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks Philip. The adaptor says input 1.5 A, output 3.33 A. So that seems to agree.

As for why? Curiosity for one, because i don't like not knowing things. Also because when on 10A hookup i just like to know how much i am using before letting swmbo plug in her hair straighteners ...

David
As to why the answer is a simple one.
Watts are the product of amps and voltage conversely amps are watts divided by voltage. As the Watts are constant irrespective of the supply voltage it is obvious that if you change the voltage the amps will also change

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David if you are running off the 12v plug it is running off the L/Batt so will not effect your amp /watt usage anyway ::bigsmile: Let the boss use her straighteners :winky:
terry

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

David
Ah, now I understand: caution at the possibility of 'blowing' the supply post when the GHDs (or whatever brand) are unleashed in anger. Very unlikely in the UK, but I guess it's possible on some continental sites with 5 amp supplies.
I rarely use a hookup (solar panel and 2 batteries suffice) but even when / if I do, I tend still to connect the TV via a 12V socket. That way I don't have to bother finding the 230V power pack or changing leads. If hooked up to 230V, the onboard charger will be more than able to exceed the 3 amp drain from the battery(ies).

Regards,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back