Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Fairly dull day today.
When I add a second 100w panel should I see a significant Ampage reading increase on my solar controller?
Tested individual panels for voltage unloaded - 21.4V.
They are now in parallel but still seeing 0.6amps from basic controller as it is very dull.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
If your batteries are fully charged and no load you may not see much extra amperage. Try turning on all the interior lights, TV etc then recheck using one and then both panels.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Can your controller take the input from two panels, as in can it handle 200w, otherwise as above.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Have you added blocking diodes?
Probably not fitted on the first panel, but with 2 panels in parrallel you will need one for each panel. Without them you will get reduced output.

In our case we had 100w and 150w panel. Reduced output until diodes fitted.

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Have you added blocking diodes?
Probably not fitted on the first panel, but with 2 panels in parrallel you will need one for each panel. Without them you will get reduced output.

In our case we had 100w and 150w panel. Reduced output until diodes fitted.
That's a new one to me. Both panels have their own control type thing on the back where the wires emerge from. Can you point me to these diodes?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's a new one to me. Both panels have their own control type thing on the back where the wires emerge from. Can you point me to these diodes?
Blocking diodes are to prevent current flowing back into the panel. I wouldn't worry about them. In theory with two panels in parallel and if one was completely shaded the other panel might lose some power trying to push current into the shaded one.

I don't think you can judge what your panels are now doing until you get some sunshine and the batteries have been discharged a bit.

The only thing you can check until then is the controller should be holding the batteries at about 13.7 to 13.8 volts even with clouds, assuming they are normal lead acid batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Blocking diodes are to prevent current flowing back into the panel. I wouldn't worry about them. In theory with two panels in parallel and if one was completely shaded the other panel might lose some power trying to push current into the shaded one.

I don't think you can judge what your panels are now doing until you get some sunshine and the batteries have been discharged a bit.

The only thing you can check until then is the controller should be holding the batteries at about 13.7 to 13.8 volts even with clouds, assuming they are normal lead acid batteries.
Thanks for that.
Only one 12 month old leisure battery currently. Will have two when funds allow.
Battery is at 12.8v now it is dark after 3 months of very little use etc.... With just the original 100w panel feeding it whilst on storage.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What you need to do is either at night or with the panels disconnected turn some stuff on in the van and run the batteries down a bit say to 75 %. Then you will be able to see how well your solar is working, at this time of year even on a bright sunny day 200 watts will only give about 2-2½ amps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back