Amitage A -frames

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Neil S, May 30, 2015.

1. Neil S

Neil S Funster

I had an A -frame conversion recently fitted to SWMBO's Skoda Fabia TDI by Armitages at Ferrybridge and while I'm happy enough with the set-up I didn't realize how heavy the A frame was going to be .
    In fact its just heavy for me lift as I have back issues , Armitage's say its 30kg as its the heavy duty model which is needed since the car weighs 1170kg but I would say its nearer 40kg .
    Does anybody know of any other A-frame manufacturers that make lighter models that perhaps would marry up to the existing towing eye attachments .

2. Neil S

Neil S Funster

3. timetochill

timetochill Funster

Chesterfield holiday make stainless light weight A frames some one on here has one

• Like it Like it x 2
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Duplicated post

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

All the A frame manufacturers use their own prefered method of attachment to the car so its very doubtful any other make will fit.

6. Neil S

Neil S Funster

Thanks for the your reply's , theres a company called Chesterfield Towing A frame's who advertise on Ebay claiming to have stainless a frame so may give them a call

7. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

yes the place in chesterfield are claiming that their A-frames weigh 12KG,but as John said I doubt very much if they will be compatable with your existing system.
    Brian & Jo

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

What exactly is the problem with lifting it - is it just so that you can put it on/off the tow ball - if so then I'm sure there'd be a way of sorting something to make this easier.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Xabia

Xabia Funster

When I had an A frame I fitted a caravan type jockey wheel to it, made things so much easier.

10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Lightweight A frames are used where the braking device is electronic and fits in the drivers' footwell. They're lightweight because they don't have the braking mechanism, cable connection, etc.

11. Neil S

Neil S Funster

The problem is that its heavy , well heavy in my book and as I suffer from back problems due to an accident in my past working life I really struggle to lift it out of the car boot without being in pain .
    It has a jockey wheel which really only helps with hitching up to the motorhome as I can drive the car with the A -frame attached and guide it onto the towball .
    When the frame is assembled and attached to the car its easy enough couple or uncouple but its the lifting out of the car is the issue .
    TBH if i cant get a suitably lighter A -frame attachment that I can manage then I'll have to look at other options perhaps a trailer or maybe just do without .

Last edited: May 30, 2015