American supper (1 Viewer)

Rosie

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
North West
Funster No
We are going on a rally soon (not with Motorhome Fun!) and there is an American supper
scheduled. I suspect everyone fetches something to eat -- is this correct and if so, has anyone any suggestions or recipes that are likely to be popular? Please bear in mind that my cooking skills are not brilliant and I cannot get the hang of using the gas oven in the motorhome!:RollEyes:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Yes, you're right! Everyone brings a plate of food - but only enough to feed yourself and whoever is with you. If everyone brings enough to feed the whole party, there will be mega amounts of food left over.

A small plate of sandwiches is as good as anything.

My favourite is onions, peppers, garlic, tinned tomatoes, chilli flakes (if liked) cooked down in a pan. Drop a block of feta cheese into the middle and warm through until it is melting.

Yummy with crusty bread!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
NOT sausage rolls :ROFLMAO: You normally end up with tons.

When we go to one we normally do a mixed platter of cakes , buns , fruit slices etc .
Or a hot platter of potato wedges onion bargies and mini quiche .
Theres usually loads of savoury not much sweet though.

It depends who we go out with. You get used to what gets put on offer:RollEyes: Sometimes the spread is fab. Sometimes you think mmmm maybe not , especially if its hand made by grubby fingers :ROFLMAO:
One group we used to go with were tight . Very poor table spread. There was a family of 6 ( with big kids not todlers ) who brought 1 pack of sausage rolls.
Then piled up their plates and went back for seconds.:whatthe:
Infact that particular episode made the group tell everyone that the general rule with an American supper or Jacobs table , was to provide enough food for your own family ( what you would normally eat ) and a little extra.
I sometimes make one of my home made meat and potato pies , and proper mushy peas. That goes down very well. A friend of ours does a mean paella mmmm , Like i say it depends on the rally group , what i do :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
have a go at biscuits and gravy .or a bomb burger (bacon onion mushroom and beef burger).
followed by pumpkin pie .
or malasas pie .
have a nice day

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We are going on a rally soon ([HI]not with Motorhome Fun![/HI]) and there is an American supper
scheduled. I suspect everyone fetches something to eat -- is this correct and if so, has anyone any suggestions or recipes that are likely to be popular? Please bear in mind that my cooking skills are not brilliant and I cannot get the hang of using the gas oven in the motorhome!:RollEyes:

Why ever not Rosie... were nice, honest..:roflmto:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Barbequed ribs, not too much meat so easy to cook in a pan on the hob or in the oven.
I always boil mine for about 10/15 minutes in salted water with a dash of vinegar then knock up a sauce with some wine vinegar, garlic, mustard, ketchup or tomato puree etc, or get a couple of packets from a supermarket for the sauce then finish on the hob or oven till they are nice and sticky :thumb: yum

OP
OP
R

Rosie

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
North West
Funster No
:thumb::thumb::Thanks everyone for some great ideas. My Other Half is drooling at the mention of homemade meat & potato pie with mushy peas but I will stick to what I CAN do really well -- brownies and refridgerator cake.
We always seem to be in a different part of the country from Motorhome rallies but hopefully we will see you on one soon Jim.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
an American supper.....

you want all the things that make americans obese.

burgers, hash browns, hotdogs, corn dogs, weaners, waldorf salad, pasta salad (both with full fat mayo), peanut butter and jelly sandwiched, corn cobs, chuck steaks, rack of ribs and fries.
brownies, Jello, blueberry pie and ice cream to finish.

Link Removed

gr50.jpg

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Have to say as long as I have eggs - I usually do a giant Spanish omelette and lob in whatever I think in addition to the onion, garlic (optional) and spuds - parboil spuds, chop up then fry with onions, then chuck in at least 6 eggs beaten with a splash of water, and seasoned with salt &pepper + crushed garlic if used - but you can add whatever you happen to have at this stage - cooked peas, prawns, bit of left over ham or any roasted meat - just nothing 'wet' (eg tomatoes) Number of eggs depends how big your frying pan is - but make sure you have summat ready you can turn it out on because that's the only remotely slightly tricky bit, if there is one. Doubled up foil laid on the worksurface or a tray or the draining board will do it if no plates large enough.

Should be at least half an inch thick, cook till brown one side and getting on for set on the top side then slide onto a plate, another plate on top, invert and slide back into frying pan to finish cooking and brown t'other side. Doesn't matter if any of the veg catches a bit, adds to the flavour.

Eat hot or cold, cut into as many slices as you think looks sensible. And then can be piled up on a much smaller plate to stick on the table.

There's never ANY left. So make sure you snaffle yours first!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Have to say as long as I have eggs - I usually do a giant Spanish omelette and lob in whatever I think in addition to the onion, garlic (optional) and spuds - parboil spuds, chop up then fry with onions, then chuck in at least 6 eggs beaten with a splash of water, and seasoned with salt &pepper + crushed garlic if used - but you can add whatever you happen to have at this stage - cooked peas, prawns, bit of left over ham or any roasted meat - just nothing 'wet' (eg tomatoes) Number of eggs depends how big your frying pan is - but make sure you have summat ready you can turn it out on because that's the only remotely slightly tricky bit, if there is one. Doubled up foil laid on the worksurface or a tray or the draining board will do it if no plates large enough.

Should be at least half an inch thick, cook till brown one side and getting on for set on the top side then slide onto a plate, another plate on top, invert and slide back into frying pan to finish cooking and brown t'other side. Doesn't matter if any of the veg catches a bit, adds to the flavour.

Eat hot or cold, cut into as many slices as you think looks sensible. And then can be piled up on a much smaller plate to stick on the table.

There's never ANY left. So make sure you snaffle yours first!

If Elaine leaves me will you marry me

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The other option is to make the food at home before you go like curry and rice. And if you have room, to freeze it ::bigsmile:

s

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sod the Yank food
Stick with tradditional English Grub
Donner Kebab
Curry's
Pitza
Egg Fried Rice
you know the stuff:thumb:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
A pasta bake type dish is straightforward as you can eat it hot or cold as pasta salad.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
Yes, you're right! Everyone brings a plate of food - but only enough to feed yourself and whoever is with you. If everyone brings enough to feed the whole party, there will be mega amounts of food left over.

A small plate of sandwiches is as good as anything.

My favourite is onions, peppers, garlic, tinned tomatoes, chilli flakes (if liked) cooked down in a pan. Drop a block of feta cheese into the middle and warm through until it is melting.

Yummy with crusty bread!

Hi Janine
Just cooked this for a Lunch time snack, lovely:thumb: Used dolcelatte instead of feta (did not have any) We will be doing this again, thanks for the info and the recipe.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back