Amendment to the highway code for all junctions. (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The highway code is to be amended giving pedestrians and cyclists priority at all junctions. Not before time me thinks…….This along with the fair gap when passing cycles amendment will make things much safer for all road users.

Great idea :doh:

I wonder how many pedestrians and cyclists will be killed and injured introducing that...........

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Great idea :doh:

I wonder how many pedestrians and cyclists will be killed and injured introducing that...........
A well publicized sentencing of a motorist will soon put a stop to that Bb...(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Let's hope next will not be the ridiculous turn right on a red light like in the USA and some European countries, everybody thinks they have priority..... ..including the two cyclists I saw wiped out on that system.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
The highway code is to be amended giving pedestrians and cyclists priority at all junctions. Not before time me thinks…….This along with the fair gap when passing cycles amendment will make things much safer for all road users.
How about giving cyclists the right not to stop at a red light, because many of them seem to think they have that!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Without knowing the detail, this conflicts me. It’s good to try and protect vulnerable road users. Not so good to give them some implicit licence to flagrantly disregard general traffic regulations and personal safety responsibility by pushing blame to other road users for their potentially dangerous actions. Devil is in the detail?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What about cyclists riding in the road when a cycle route is available. It’s got to be equally enforced.
Is there anything to enforce? as in is it illegal to ride on the road if the cycle track is totally inadequate.

Martin

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
There is a brown cycle lane that crosses an A road near me, I have seen many a cyclementalist ride straight across the A road without looking at all for traffic......your licence is in their hands :cry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What about cyclists riding in the road when a cycle route is available. It’s got to be equally enforced.
I don't think these amendments include any restricted road usage for cyclists. Which restrictions are you referring too.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Depends if the cycle route is going where the cyclist is going which it often doesn't . I think cyclists can use the road at any time regardless if there's a cycle path there

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
No because msny cycle routes are not dexigned properly and put cyclists at a disadvantage.
And struggling to get 44 ton past safely is a better option. Yeah right. Am not anti cyclist but it’s got to be equally enforced or just let me stay at home on the dole, thinking about it that sounds better. Haha

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How about giving cyclists the right not to stop at a red light, because many of them seem to think they have that!
Only reason some cyclists do this is for self preservation as when the lights change it is a free for all for the blind motorists. This new law will put a stop to this as cyclist will have rights over vehicles when the lights change.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
And struggling to get 44 ton past safely is a better option. Yeah right. Am not anti cyclist but it’s got to be equally enforced or just let me stay at home on the dole, thinking about it that sounds better. Haha
Please direct me to the legislation that you would like to see "enforced"?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
When I got my cycle proficiency badge 55 years ago I remember being taught that I should be no more than 18 inches from the kerb. 2 abreast and cycling on the pavement were a no no. Being obliged to answer questions on the highway code were also part of the exam. Many parents in my day had their kids getting this training before being allowed on the road
Now we have licra clad lunatics who believe they are Dictators of the highway. Not that all cyclists are this way but sufficient to make me suggest that cyclists should be licensed in some way if they use the public highway.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It is sometimes easier to get past three abreast on a country lane than a long line of single cyclists.
Not sure about that ....I frequently got stuck behind cyclists doing this in Spain...long tailbacks because selfish cyclists don't move over to let cars by.

I'm a cyclist , a motorcyclist , a car driver and a motorhome driver....we all have to consider what problems we cause other road users while on the road.
If I'm cycling and causing a tailback I pull closer to the side to let cars past I don't hold them up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back