Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I have always managed to hear the warning sound and seen the flashing lights when an ambulance is close. I'm sure all of us manage to figure out the best option to give the high speed ambulance access to every possible inch of road.

On Saturday I was travelling west bound on the A66 between Scotch Corner and Penrith. I was in a section that just had one lane each way. I could see the ambulance approaching and he was east bound. He was overtaking every vehicle in his path in a very bold manner.

I slowed to walking pace and moved over to the left. It was very obvious that a mutual wing mirror smash was imminent and my only option was to barge onto the grass verge to escape. I made the move, banged the verge heavily but I escaped this lunatic.

This is a new experience for me; I've always been used to emergency drivers being very skillful and competent to negotiate the hazards - this guy was an absolute nutter.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have missed you Toots :D

but seriously some of the idiots drivers we see most days are 'professionals'

it really offends me when police cars make last minute manoeuvres with no indication, at the same time talking into their radio that apparently isn't as distracting as using a mobile phone???

I am sure they would always come up with an excellent justification for their poor driving, but it sets an awful example

bit like the lorries, it always seems to be the plain white ones that drive the worst, so no company to complain to

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
it always seems to be the plain white ones that drive the worst
There the 'Emergency Lunatic Asylum vehicles' David. They don't carry blue lights, but you can hear the WOOOOOOO....WOOOOOOOOO.....WOOOOOOOOOO coming from the inside. (y)

Last edited:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
There the 'Emergency Lunatic Asylum vehicles' David. They don't carry blue lights, but you can here the WOOOOOOO....WOOOOOOOOO.....WOOOOOOOOOO coming from the inside. (y)

And all the windows are obscured by lip marks!(y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have missed you Toots :D

but seriously some of the idiots drivers we see most days are 'professionals'

it really offends me when police cars make last minute manoeuvres with no indication, at the same time talking into their radio that apparently isn't as distracting as using a mobile phone???

I am sure they would always come up with an excellent justification for their poor driving, but it sets an awful example

bit like the lorries, it always seems to be the plain white ones that drive the worst, so no company to complain to

... Police radios are mobile phones... Fyi
And most police drivers aren't 'highly trained' ...
Poor driving tho... No excuse for sure.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Part of my training in my yoof, when I was an ambulance driver was to do a stint on a skid pan..(Scary.:Eeek:)

Do they still have to do that...?

PS that`s where I met Judy,,, she was a nurse and I was one of them idiot drivers... ;):D

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Part of my training in my yoof, when I was an ambulance driver was to do a stint on a skid pan..(Scary.:Eeek:)

PS that`s where I met Judy,,, she was a nurse and I was one of them idiot drivers... ;):D
Yes they still do.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I spent 30 years on the Ambulance Service - mostly on emergency ambulances, training new recruits, or driving a desk. You would think therefore that I'd defend these 'idiots' but I wont.

We had a rule; NO emergency (an I mean NO emergency) justifies an accident!

Any tear-arse who had a knock, either got put on a discip', got taken off driving, got put on out-patient runs, or suffered ridicule from other staff.

Newbies were put with old hands; old 'sweats' that had seen it all. Blokes that knocked all the corners off keen, enthusiastic youngsters like me. During my first few weeks on the road, one of these fellas says to me, "Go over 30mph son and see what happens". I did; so he whipped my hat off (it was a discip' offence not to have your hat on in those days) and he threw it out of the cab window into a bus queue! "There y'go son, you want to chase about, go and chase that!"

Ahhh, the good ol' days eh?

OK, so the ambulances wouldn't do much speed then; it was a bit like driving a fully laden 1.9 diesel MoHo up hill without a turbo. Only difference being, it was a bit more urgent than finding a camp site!

We had PRIDE in our driving though. Pride in the job. Respect for other road users that panicked and slammed their brakes on in front of you. Wanted to be an ambassador for the emergency services, not set a bad example.

Of course, vehicles improved and got faster, had automatic boxes, bigger engines, but the same rule applied - No emergency justified an accident. I used to tell my new recruits that there was no point in causing one accident to get to another! Could they imagine having to swap details after a minor shunt, whilst someone is bleeding to death waiting for you to turn up!

I had another rule of my own. Always save 10% up your sleeve for error, either by you or others. If you're driving on the limit of your abilities, there's no space for the unexpected.

This idiot who pushed the OP off the road should be carpeted!

Don't know what's happened to the standards of emergency drivers these days. They all look fresh out of primary school to me. Perhaps it's watching Holby? Perhaps it's adrenaline? Green jump-suits with everything but the kitchen sink tied to their uniforms? Power trips? Perhaps it's the University Paramedic entry programmes with lack of road experience? Who knows.

Save for me reversing into a metal dustbin at 3am one rainy morning (oh the noise!!!) I am pleased to say that I never had a shunt whilst on any shout. Never even collected any tourists on the bonnet whilst on 'blues & two's' along Oxford Street!

Got bless our emergency workers. I'm hopeful that they are not all idiot drivers. Might need 'em some day.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Maybe he was better able to judge the width of his vehicle than the OP?

Just saying...........:whistle::whistle:

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I have always managed to hear the warning sound and seen the flashing lights when an ambulance is close. I'm sure all of us manage to figure out the best option to give the high speed ambulance access to every possible inch of road.

On Saturday I was travelling west bound on the A66 between Scotch Corner and Penrith. I was in a section that just had one lane each way. I could see the ambulance approaching and he was east bound. He was overtaking every vehicle in his path in a very bold manner.

I slowed to walking pace and moved over to the left. It was very obvious that a mutual wing mirror smash was imminent and my only option was to barge onto the grass verge to escape. I made the move, banged the verge heavily but I escaped this lunatic.

This is a new experience for me; I've always been used to emergency drivers being very skillful and competent to negotiate the hazards - this guy was an absolute nutter.
Maybe it was shiftzz maybe he found his hat.....:rofl:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
[QUOTE="sdc77, And most police drivers aren't 'highly trained' ... .[/QUOTE]

What qualifies you to say this?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

did you win her over with your "rear end slide"

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
An ambulance on a call was stolen in Calne [Wilts] this week
They have found the ambulance ,but still looking for the keys

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
[QUOTE="sdc77, And most police drivers aren't 'highly trained' ... .

What qualifies you to say this?[/QUOTE]

My qualifications aside it's a fact..
Most police drivers are basic (level 4) which means they can drive.... Not in any response mode tho...
Then there are response drivers (level 3).. Some training in response.. No pursuit tho.. (initial phase etc is allowed)
Then there's level 2.. Advanced... With no pursuit.. (often used to drive larger unmarked cars at speed) ..
Then there level 1.. Advanced.. can pursue..

This info is freely available tbh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back