Ambleside Aire gets the thumbs up. (1 Viewer)

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Spending the weekend at Ambleside Aire, it's great. Located in a quiet area of Ambleside, surrounded by trees and parkland. Easy to find with good, secure access. £6.00 for vans under 7 metres, £8.00 if over (24 hours), water on site, plans for elsan point to be built soon. No ehu, no caravans, no tents. Five minutes walk passed the church to Ambleside, loads of restaurants, chippy and cinema. Great base for the Lakes. Graeme the manager very pleasant chappy!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
So. £6 to sit in a field. Hmmm.

If you want to go to Ambleside there are not many places a decent size MH can park. Ambleside is not a MH friendly parking place (until now), but a nice place to visit, so now we can. ::bigsmile:

I think it's step in the right direction. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
better a fiver

Less than a fiver for such little facilities would be better but it's certainly a good initiative - I may give it a go next month.

BW

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I think it sounds ok and I agree its a step in the right direction and the fact that its been allowed in the Lake District is amazing and encouraging. Ambleside is not a great place to park a car let alone a flipping big MH. Do you have to book or can you just turn up like a proper Aire?

OP
OP
lufcdave7

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi folks,

1) Yes Olley, thats it.....although the layout has changed a little since Google took that pic. It is more enclosed and secure than it looks on Google.

2) £6 to sit in a field, tight sod. I would have gladly paid £16 to sit in THIS field. Literally five minutes from Ambleside centre, secure (not one scally seen all w/e) On the door step of so many great walks, Lake Windermere ten minutes South, what do you want....we're not in France!

3) To book or check availability, ring Graeme 07708 310986.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
The information I have:

Miller Field
LA22 0EE
For bookings and enquiries the preferred method of contact is by email to; mfmcambles@hotmail.com stating your name, van registration number and proposed dates.

Phone No. 07708310986

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You have enough flipping difficulty parking a motorbike is what I'd say about parking in Ambleside - so an 'aire' is a positive and welcome bonus - far as I can see!

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
£6 wouldn't even get you a full days parking in Newcastle :Sad:
So I would gladly pay that for easy access to Ambleside ::bigsmile:
It's going to be one of our first trips of the year :Smile:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
£6 wouldn't even get you a full days parking in Newcastle :Sad:
So I would gladly pay that for easy access to Ambleside ::bigsmile:
It's going to be one of our first trips of the year :Smile:

bloody hell you feeling ok dellwood its not like you to part with £6 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

adenough

Free Member
Sep 12, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
What's wrong with that ? A field in a very good position, that's the important part. A reasonably secure field.

Ok. fair comments. hands held up in the air. But come on. Wouldn,t it be nice to own a patch of grass where you could stand at the gate collecting £6/£8 a time for somebody to park their van.
Reminds me of the farmer in Carry on Camping.
Wonder how he got the planning though?:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So. £6 to sit in a field. Hmmm.

if you are lucky enough to get a CAR space (nothing bigger) in the main
'village' center pay and display car park,or even on street p & d space come to that, it will cost in excess of 80p per hour.... and be limited to maybe 4 hours max...its a holiday village remember.

£8 for 24hours is excellent value.....30p per hour!!!!!

for 30p per hour to park overnight (24hr), AND be allowed to sleep legally, in the lake district i would park in a ploughed field !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Wouldn,t it be nice to own a patch of grass where you could stand at the gate collecting £6/£8 a time for somebody to park their van.
Wonder how he got the planning though?:Smile:

There are many things we'd all like to do that damned planners try and stop. A guy near here has just done a barn conversion. "Can I take it down and build on new foundations using the original stone ?" "NO". So the poor bugger has had to line it with steel to strengthen it and then underpin it. Where's the sense in that ? He's got an inferior job costing more than doing a proper job would have cost.

>> How did he get planning ?

Dunno. It would be nice to think the planners welcomed the idea to bring tourists into the town, but that is probably as plausible as the tooth fairy delivering pound coins.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The information I have:

Miller Field
LA22 0EE
For bookings and enquiries the preferred method of contact is by email to; mfmcambles@hotmail.com stating your name, van registration number and proposed dates.

Phone No. 07708310986

so it isnt a true aire then.....its a campsite with no facilities !:Doh:

to ensure a place you must ring first.

it is a start though and more tourist areas should follow the lead.:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
so it isnt a true aire then.....its a campsite with no facilities !:Doh:

to ensure a place you must ring first.

it is a start though and more tourist areas should follow the lead.:thumb:

As was said before it's a busy place, he wont want a line of RV's turning up on spec will he? :whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As was said before it's a busy place, he wont want a line of RV's turning up on spec will he? :whatthe:

thats very true keith but why not...... a true aire is 'turn up and park...if its full then move on.
so its still a very basic campsite.:thumb:

not knocking it at all, just saying what i think :Blush:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
MOTORHOME MILLER FIELD CAMPING
Secure overnight motorhome camping in the centre of Ambleside, based on the French ‘aires’ system.
Facilities are limited to secure parking within a two minute walk of all the amenities that Ambleside has to offer; supplies, groceries, fuel, bars, restaurants etc……..

CHARGES
The cost per night is dependant on the length of your motorhome; regardless of the number of occupants.
Upto 6 metres = £6.00 / night
Above 6 metres = £8.00 / night
Fresh Lakeland water (from the tap!) is available.
No admissions after 9.00pm, departure by mid-day please.
Dogs are welcome but must be kept under control at all times and exercised off the site.
For security reasons it is important that the main gate remains locked at all times except for your arrival and departure.
If possible you are advised to book in advance of your stay.
Alternatively please ring 07708 310986 for access details.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I love Ambleside, spent many a Scout camp there as a child and adult.

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Fantastic idea and about time too! There are so many motohome owners now that towns and local councils need to start thinkin about accommodating us - it's a nightmare trying to park sometimes!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back