Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was just buying a packet of ferrite clips for my wiring and I accidently ticked the delivery box attached to prime,, It took me a year to get out of that one last time but I found a way of declining the membership , last time I didn't even know I was signed up for it until I saw how much they had taken from me in fees. Be very careful what you tick in the buying process. Very sharp practices on there making it too easy to make a mistake.. Be careful out there there are sharks everywhere.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I ALWAYS check and double check which delivery option I choose.
I too was caught out with signing for prime, contacted Amazon straight away and got it cancelled.
I then had to pay standard postage, taken at source from my refund.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Prime is actually really good value, especially if you buy lots of stuff on line with next day free delivery, films and music included and some good tv. We wouldn't be without it nowadays.

And its easy to cancel,,,BUSBY,,

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
This has happened twice with my wife, managed to cancel in time.

It's almost a scam, bit like booking airline tickets, have to be so careful...

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I didn't get caught out with Prime on Amazon but Swmbo wanted a book and I said I'd get it. Realised if I ordered another one (different) I'd get free postage. It stated this on the site.
I struggled for 45 minutes trying to find where to get the free postage and in doing so, I'd ordered 5 times. I checked my emails and it confirmed I'd bought 2 individual books and 3 with both on. I scrolled through all the site and found a number and phoned. The girl I contacted at Amazon was really good and cancelled the excess orders but it so easy to do and had I not checked my email, it would have been too late to cancel the next day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Apparently it’s easy to unintentionally select prime membership loads of people don’t know they have prime membership until they check their bank account and a lot of people like me did not notice.
They caught me with a £78 yearly charge phoned them last week and informed them they had duped me into having prime membership and asked they refund my yearly membership, this was only weeks before they were going to take a second years fees. They refunded me the full amount after a bit of quibbling.
Best Wishes Tony

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Prime is actually really good value, especially if you buy lots of stuff on line with next day free delivery, films and music included and some good tv. We wouldn't be without it nowadays.
That's just it, you need to use it to be worthwhile.
I might order two or three items a year, music I rarely listen to, even when the car radios on and as for films and TV.......I have a TV.
I usually make sure I spend over £20 and items are at least fulfilled by Amazon thus qualifying for free postage...ok, it may take a day or two longer.
I just ordered three USB C leads costing £9:99, a phone cover at £7 and a tempered glass screen protector at £5.25......free postage.
If buying the leads alone at £9:99, there was a £4 postage charge.......a 40% charge for something which would fit in a padded envelope with a first class stamp.....but I know it would come in a shoebox size packet.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I've been swithering for a long time, we can't get next day here but I do order a lot of stuff from them. Still can't decide.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've been swithering for a long time, we can't get next day here but I do order a lot of stuff from them. Still can't decide.
You will get next day by courier or they are in breach of contract.
That's the backbone of Prime...next day delivery.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate

I think you also need to be like BobtheBass and use the films music etc to get the best value from Amazon Prime, me I'm not a big film watcher and all my music I have on CD's or from youtube or Spotify also I'm happy with freesat tv and as papajohn says if it's over £20 you get free delivery anyway.
Best Wishes Tony

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I got caught with the one month free trial on my last order a few days ago, I went into my account and cancelled it the next day before I forgot. It says i am cancelled and no money will be taken but I still get the free trial until the end of the month, so it might be worth doing that to see if you think it’s worth it. My views same as @pappajohn above.

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
When I order from Amazon and there is a delivery charge, but can be delivered free with Prime I get my daughter, who has Prime, to order it I can also get it delivered to my address. Then I just transfer the item cost to her bank account. I have also noticed if an item says free delivery when you go to checkout there is a postage charge added to amount. This is because it does not default to Standard Delivery which is free. So watch out for that.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Had prime for a while now and usually get my moneys worth out of it. Order lots of things on line now using Amazon more than ebay. The prime music is the icing on the cake. Got lots of music from the 60s and 70s and can download load free to the phone. Then I use a little Bluetooth receiver to play it in my hifi.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for all of the advice above, still swithering. Another thing is that we try and spend a lot of time away as well!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
You also can often find the same item at a cheaper price if it is not fulfilled by Amazon. So, the charge for prime is not such good value.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Had prime for a couple of years ...
When we lived in London the prime now wasusefull a couple of times.
Wouldn't be without it now though. Certainly order enough over a year to get our money back...
We don't use music
We do use Amazon tv on a fire hd box
I use unlimited photo storage from my phone
We take a firestick in the van too
It's the cheapest for 13kg bags of dog food
Plus you can get extra discount for subscribing to regular orders
You can get stuff cheaper from other sellers sometimes but they often charge for delivery ..which will not be next day .. but it's a choice.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I have Amazon Prime - love it. Amazingly fast delivery.

I had a free trial a few years ago and cancelled before the subscription started as I didn’t want it at that time. It was easy to do on their website. It’s also very easy to cancel orders if you do so straight away - again on their website.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I subscribed to a Telegraph offer of £100 pa with free Prime thrown. Most of the articles were Premium meaning a subscription to read anything interesting so well worth it. I shall see what's on offer next December.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
This is our second year with prime, The first year was a special offer discount code from Money Saving Expert site. Because SWMBO does a lot of "crafty" stuff, the Free Next day has saved as much if not more than the annual fee. If you are NOT in a rush then yes you can get stuff cheaper, however you have to watch the postage charges there too. SWMBO Uses Prime video a lot when, like now, she is incapacitated and/or cannot get out of the house (like last week). She has just finished watching the latest "Outlander" which won`t be generally released for another year. Useful for a film too, when there is "Bu**er all" on Sky or Terrestrial, when they are showing the usual "Reality" Cr*p. And it`s now the only pace you can watch 3 idiots doing stupid things with cars!.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Just checked on Amazon again, my postcode did not previously qualify for next day delivery but it does now.

Thanks for all the advice above, need to give it some serious consideration now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back