Amazon Firestick used with a 19" Cello Traveller TV (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have a 19" Cello Traveller TV and want to buy and use an Amazon Firestick to watch occasional UK TV while we are in foreign parts. But I have a couple of questions from people that may have this or similar set up already.

Firstly the HDMI port is set in a recess in the back and there is only 70mm or so between the port and the back of the recess. The Firestick is about 89mm long so I do not think it can be pushed directly in. Is there anyway I can overcome this, maybe by a short HDMI lead or a 90 degree HDMI adaptor?

Secondly does the USB socket in the Cello give enough power to keep the Firestick running or will I have to run a lead from the nearest spare USB port in the motorhome?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I use firestick on cello traveller. Have indeed added an adaptor for hdmi and run it off the usb (the one on the Android side)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Did your Firestick not come with a short HDMI extension lead.....?
I power my Firestick from the USB socket on my Manta tv, so your Cello should work too, I would have thought.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Look on Amazon or fleabay - HDMI extension lead OR the HDMI right angle connector - both entend.
Or think ahead and get a switch (allows 2 HDMI into one and includes a short extension).

1574969656225.png

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Did your Firestick not come with a short HDMI extension lead.....?
I power my Firestick from the USB socket on my Manta tv, so your Cello should work too, I would have thought.....
I haven't bought it yet, but looking at it on the Amazon site it says it includes a HDMI extender. Is that what you call the HDMI extension lead? Is it a case of plugging the male end of the extender into the TV port and Firestick into the other end?

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I have exactly the combination you have and the extension plugs in to the HDMI slot and you then plug the firestick into the end of the extension. The extension comes with the firestick. I use a separate USB supply but I have never tried it from the tele.

It works a treat using my mobile as an internet hoptspot.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I haven't bought it yet, but looking at it on the Amazon site it says it includes a HDMI extender. Is that what you call the HDMI extension lead? Is it a case of plugging the male end of the extender into the TV port and Firestick into the other end?

‘yes peter, the fire stick 4K comes with a short hdmi cable about 3-4ins long so will tuck behind your tv ok, we have a usb extension taped behind our tv that it plugs into and works fine, if your tv one is not up to it that would be an option...

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We have a spare cig-lighter type socket close to the TV so will be using one of those USB adapters in it - but if you decide to go that way make sure the adapter puts out a decent amount of power as many of them are only 1w which is probably not enough for the Firestick.

And I'll confirm also that the Firestick comes with a short extension cable.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
‘yes peter, the fire stick 4K comes with a short hdmi cable about 3-4ins long so will tuck behind your tv ok, we have a usb extension taped behind our tv that it plugs into and works fine, if your tv one is not up to it that would be an option...
Thanks Garry. Was not going to get the 4k one because I really think it will not look any better on a 19" TV. Or is there any other reason to get the 4k one?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks Garry. Was not going to get the 4k one because I really think it will not look any better on a 19" TV. Or is there any other reason to get the 4k one?
I have no idea Peter, but sue mainly watches it now on the house tv and we have taken it away in the van for a month when we went to southern France, it worked a treat connected to Sues hotspot on her phone with 100gig data....

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Save your money - don’t buy the 4K one as your tv would not support that resolution anyway - the ‘standard’ Firestick with Alexa will be fine, and is on sale for £19.99 on Amazon at the moment!

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Actually £19.95 at Argos........!

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Save your money - don’t buy the 4K one as your tv would not support that resolution anyway - the ‘standard’ Firestick with Alexa will be fine, and is on sale for £19.99 on Amazon at the moment!
Actually £19.95 at Argos........!
Following the brilliant help on this thread I have just bought the £19.99 one from Amazon. Preferred that to anywhere else because they will link it to my Amazon account before they send it out which will save me some time when setting up.

Thanks everybody for all of your help. Once again it shows what a great community we have in MHF. (y) (y)

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
...use an Amazon Firestick to watch occasional UK TV while we are in foreign parts.
Remember that if you want to use the likes of iPlayer ITVHub All4, a vpn / smart dns service will be needed to hide your foreign IP address...(unless you are using a mobile data hotspot that gives you a uk ip address)

Deleted User
When you set up the Firestick in one of the menus activate Data Monitoring, this allows you to select 3 different levels of quality thereby saving data. You can also pair the Firestick remote to the TV so you only need one handset controller.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Remember that if you want to use the likes of iPlayer ITVHub All4, a vpn / smart dns service will be needed to hide your foreign IP address...(unless you are using a mobile data hotspot that gives you a uk ip address)
Thank you. We will be using my mifi or phone, both of which have UK SIMs in them. I think that will mean that we will not need a VPN

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Mine works, same set up as you intend using....the hdmi short extender supplied with the stick is all you need...the power supply via usb is sufficient from the Cello.....all in all the right way to go.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hello there
Firestick Techies ... Can anyone tell me how much data Gbyte an hour on the Firestick would use ... watching Emmerdale / Corrie maybe catchup whatever.
I have a UK data Sim for Mifi and was wondering how long 25GB will last her indoors for the soaps, any sensible ideas please?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hello there
Firestick Techies ... Can anyone tell me how much data Gbyte an hour on the Firestick would use ... watching Emmerdale / Corrie maybe catchup whatever.
I have a UK data Sim for Mifi and was wondering how long 25GB will last her indoors for the soaps, any sensible ideas please?
not using HD then the firestick uses about 1/2 Gb per hour, so 25Gb would give around 50 hours viewing

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks, brilliant, MHF does it again.

Cor Blimey, the missus is costing 50p to watch Emmerdale ... but what cost peace and quiet!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back