Amazon Firestick setup (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I know there's another thread started on the Firestick but I don't want to highjack that. I have just received my Firestick HD and it has logged onto my home wifi network (5GHz) without asking for any password. How does it do that and should I wonder about my wifi security? All other devices logging on to the network have required a password. Why should the Firestick be any different?

Edit:
I also have an Amazon Echodot on that network. Not sure which frequency though.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Mine needs a password. Put your phone on hotspot turn off home WiFi and see if password is required. If it does then look at home WiFi.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
But when I have connected any other devices to the network a password is required. PArt of the reason for getting the Firestick. My Samsung Smart TV keeps forgetting the password and I have to enter it again on an almost daily basis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Is it a replacement for an old Firestick?
Maybe you saved the password to your Amazon account for the old stick.
More here on that possibility.

edit. Or Alexa? Prime on your smartphone?

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
No. First time for Firestick but as I editted I also have an EchoDot (Alexa) on the network,

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Is it a replacement for an old Firestick?
Maybe you saved the password to your Amazon account for the old stick.
More here on that possibility.

edit. Or Alexa? Prime on your smartphone?

Note when I say password I mean the Wifi Network password not my Amazon account password.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Ok. That link you sent was very helpful Kevinh. They say:
Instead, assuming you’ve agreed to save your WiFi password to your Amazon account, the Fire TV device will simply connect the moment it spots the right network.

I don't recall agreeing to have my wifi password saved by Amazon. I'll have to see if I can get it removed!

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Instead, assuming you’ve agreed to save your WiFi password to your Amazon account, the Fire TV device will simply connect the moment it spots the right network.

I don't recall agreeing to have my wifi password saved by Amazon. I'll have to see if I can get it removed!
The Amazon tentacles reach everywhere.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie

Amazon FAQ

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Sometimes if you are using 2 devices of the same brand like google or amazon stuff you don't need to enter the wifi password.

The theory being if you have said device 1 is safe to use your wifi there is no problem with device 2 connecting to it as well.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Absolutely. I'm very careful what buttons I press on Amazon in case I inadvertently subscribe to something or buy something I don't want!

I've found the page to remove saved passwords on Amazon so thanks to Kevinh for the link and a very swift answer to my question.

Isn't MotorhomeFun great!

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
It's your echo dot! They automatically talk to each other.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
It's your echo dot! They automatically talk to each other.
If you have an Amazon Echo device it will get your password from that. They all talk to one another. I gave my password to Alexa once and the rest soon knew about it ......... you know how women like to gossip. :ROFLMAO:
From settings saved in your Amazon account tho, right?
If the echo / Alexa was unplugged when the Firestick was turned on & being setup it would get the WiFi settings. IMO

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
I was surprised by mine not needing a password, but figured it probably got it from the echo. Clever!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I was surprised by mine not needing a password, but figured it probably got it from the echo. Clever!
Maybe chicken & egg, but the wifi details are saved in your Amazon account settings 🤷‍♂️

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Maybe chicken & egg, but the wifi details are saved in your Amazon account settings 🤷‍♂️

Not in the account as such, but in the memory of any devices within 'earshot' of the firestick.

I know this because the stuff in the house is on a different network to the truck. But still within Wi-Fi range.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Not in the account as such, but in the memory of any devices within 'earshot' of the firestick.

I know this because the stuff in the house is on a different network to the truck. But still within Wi-Fi range.
:eek:
1606085258513.png

^^ is why I expect after getting one device connected & known to your account, you wouldn't need the original device even online to get further ones setup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back