Amazon Firestick in Europe? (1 Viewer)

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
I have a contract with unlimited data. Currently unlimited in the EU, but who knows what our current clowns will do to that?
If I fit a Firestick to my TV will I be able to access the normal programmes and catch-up in Europe using my phone as a hub? Signal or WiFi allowing of course.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes. And as long as it is using uk registered sim you don’t need a vpn. You can also reduce the quality so it loads quicker and uses less data.
just make sure your data isn’t limited abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
We're using ours a lot but find it only plays well with a boosted signal from the mifi. As others said check all the small print as i don't believe any uk deals offer unlimited in Europe. We have 3 60gb sims we switch about.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don’t have a Firestick but I have WIFI dongle in my Humax freesat box and that gets iplayer etc in France using my three sim in a mifi.

Upvote 0

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember
Yes. And as long as it is using uk registered sim you don’t need a vpn. You can also reduce the quality so it loads quicker and uses less data.
just make sure your data isn’t limited abroad.

Can you explain how to reduce the quality please.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just go into the settings on the firestick and it offers different quality. Select the lowest. I can’t say I really noticed the quality, of lack of on the tv to be honest.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Can you explain how to reduce the quality please.
From tinternet - not verified on our fire stick - info on how here

How likely you are to notice the drop in quality depends largely on screen size.
And perception - mrskevenh will happily unknowingly watch SD channels that have HD versions (a Sky STB anecdote) 😳

edit: you can also download programs & boxsets if you have the Prime TV app on a tablet. That’s working well for us. Currently binge watching an old CIA type program : Alias

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
edit: you can also download programs & boxsets if you have the Prime TV app on a tablet. That’s working well for us. Currently binge watching an old CIA type program : Alias
Adding the Kodi app to the Firestick is one to get & watch downloads. Not done that process myself.

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I use a firestick and have d/loaded Cinema HD for all the boxsets and films, then IPTV for the rest

We both have 100gb on Vodaphone (not the unlimited) which we can use worldwide with no penalties, its just great and gets us everything

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Just go into the settings on the firestick and it offers different quality. Select the lowest. I can’t say I really noticed the quality, of lack of on the tv to be honest.
You need to turn on Data Monitoring first ...IIRC.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
You need to turn on Data Monitoring first ...IIRC.
Dats monitoring is for just that.
Double checked the article and what’s said here should be enough
Eventually I’ll turn on my Firestick and actually look there 😳

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
3s "Go Binge" deal is worth a look amazon and others, unlimited streaming with nothing deducted from your allowance

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisvh
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
3s "Go Binge" deal is worth a look amazon and others, unlimited streaming with nothing deducted from your allowance

I have the Go Binge plan. Unlimited calls and data in most countries. It works for me very well.
Thanks for the info everybody. Just set up the Firestick and it works perfectly. Off to Germany, for a month, next week so it will be interesting to see how it works over there.

Upvote 0

Tommo and Ca

Free Member
Apr 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago A Class
Exp
Too long to remember

Many thanks, I will try next time I switch it on.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I have a contract with unlimited data. Currently unlimited in the EU, but who knows what our current clowns will do to that?
If I fit a Firestick to my TV will I be able to access the normal programmes and catch-up in Europe using my phone as a hub? Signal or WiFi allowing of course.
Hello fellow Bok!
We have unlimited data on my Virgin mobile account and bought a 4K Firestick from Amazon and registered it to our U.K. postal address. Over the last winter in Spain, Portugal and France, we were able to stream HD programmes from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Netflix and Amazon Prime. This was so even where our mobile signal was 2 bars of 3G. We suffered no 'throttling'.
So succesful was streaming using our Virgin mobile sim, that we never once used the satellite tv system. In fact we are considering removing that and using the hole in the roof for a 4/5G internet aerial.

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We have unlimited data on my Virgin mobile account and bought a 4K Firestick from Amazon and registered it to our U.K. postal address. Over the last winter in Spain, Portugal and France, we were able to stream HD programmes from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Netflix and Amazon Prime. This was so even where our mobile signal was 2 bars of 3G. We suffered no 'throttling'.
So succesful was streaming using our Virgin mobile sim, that we never once used the satellite tv system. In fact we are considering removing that and using the hole in the roof for a 4/5G internet aerial.

That’s a weird one, we were with Virgin for over 10 years and tbh it was great, we signed up for unlimited 2years ago when we started moho-ing and we’re told it was capped to 8.6gb whilst abroad so went to Vodaphone 100gb (not unlimited)

Al

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
That’s a weird one, we were with Virgin for over 10 years and tbh it was great, we signed up for unlimited 2years ago when we started moho-ing and we’re told it was capped to 8.6gb whilst abroad so went to Vodaphone 100gb (not unlimited)

I can only report what we found. I'm aware, from Virgin's T&Cs, that they do have a 'Fair Use' policy and reserve the right to cap output. I've just checked that for the period 3 January 2020 (when we went to Spain) to 16 March 2020, we used 765Gb using the Virgin sim. About 3-4 hours tv and radio streaming a night.

Oops not sure why my reply was shown in the quote under reply!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisvh
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Hello fellow Bok!

Hi. Goed om nog 'n Springbok hier te sien.
We have a month in Germany coming up so it will be a good opportunity to test everything to destruction.
Happy, and safe, travels.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hi. Goed om nog 'n Springbok hier te sien.
We have a month in Germany coming up so it will be a good opportunity to test everything to destruction.
Happy, and safe, travels.

ja. ons sal pret hê as die rugby begin.
You too stay safe and enjoy your travels.

Upvote 0

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everyone
I know on this thread that some of you think you can use all the data you have paid for at home; you can use the same when you are roaming; now although some of you and me included have gone over what is allowed by the fair use policy of the company you are with; you run the risk of incurring extra charges. I'm with EE on one contract and have a UK limit of 60GB per month but roaming I'm only allowed 15gb per month.
" If your domestic data allowance is greater than 15GB, a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst roaming in our Europe Zone will apply (i.e. you can use up to 15GB from your allowance while roaming). "
I've also have a contract with Virgin which gives me another 65gb per month.
Now although I've gone over these amounts when streaming and never had an issue, it does not mean I won't in the future.
One way to negate this I've found is get the data transmitted through a VPN. I'm not going to recommend the one I use as most VPN's work the same way.
All I'm saying with this response to this thread is that; everyone who had so much data when in the UK will be restricted when roaming. Whether they decide to charge you is another thing, but please believe me that all companies have some sort of restrictions on roaming allowance.
Best Wishes Tony

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hi Everyone
I know on this thread that some of you think you can use all the data you have paid for at home; you can use the same when you are roaming; now although some of you and me included have gone over what is allowed by the fair use policy of the company you are with; you run the risk of incurring extra charges. I'm with EE on one contract and have a UK limit of 60GB per month but roaming I'm only allowed 15gb per month.
" If your domestic data allowance is greater than 15GB, a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst roaming in our Europe Zone will apply (i.e. you can use up to 15GB from your allowance while roaming). "
I've also have a contract with Virgin which gives me another 65gb per month.
Now although I've gone over these amounts when streaming and never had an issue, it does not mean I won't in the future.
One way to negate this I've found is get the data transmitted through a VPN. I'm not going to recommend the one I use as most VPN's work the same way.
All I'm saying with this response to this thread is that; everyone who had so much data when in the UK will be restricted when roaming. Whether they decide to charge you is another thing, but please believe me that all companies have some sort of restrictions on roaming allowance.
Best Wishes Tony

Not strictly true Tony

for us personally that is, 18 months ago I got 2 sim only deals from Vodafone which gives us 100 fb anywhere in the EU. I negotiated the same deal when it ran out after 12 months.
Today’s new unlimited deals are unlimited in the UK but have a 25gb roaming cap in the EU so if I were you i’d call them up first to see if you can have 100gb rather than unlimited if that’s what you want

£21 per month btw

Al 👍

Upvote 0

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Not strictly true Tony

for us personally that is, 18 months ago I got 2 sim only deals from Vodafone which gives us 100 fb anywhere in the EU. I negotiated the same deal when it ran out after 12 months.
Today’s new unlimited deals are unlimited in the UK but have a 25gb roaming cap in the EU so if I were you i’d call them up first to see if you can have 100gb rather than unlimited if that’s what you wan
That a great deal if that's what they have put in writing to you, well done.
Best wishes Tony

Upvote 0

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Does anyone know if you can download programs beforehand at home on Roku & Firestick to save hammering your mobile data?

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Does anyone know if you can download programs beforehand at home on Roku & Firestick to save hammering your mobile data?
I believe that this is what post #12 is describing could give you and adding Kodi does give you.
But I've not verified that.
I do use an Amazon Fire tablet that way - download Apple TV or Prime box sets, etc. at home for use on the road.
The 10" tablet with a Bluetooth speaker works great for us :)

Upvote 0

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Thanks, it was the sticks I was specifically thinking of so I can play it through my Avtex TV. I'd prefer the Roku which I know has no storage, but wondering if it could be downloaded to my phone?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back