Amazon Firestick 4K reduced AGAIN 🤪 (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
FWIW all Firesticks are reduced.
e.g. FS 4K Max is £39.99 (saving £15) but, imo, the regular 4K stick above is the entry point.
The Max has a little more umph and WiFi-6 but it’ll be hard to see the cost benefit unless you already have WiFi-6

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I never even knew Wifi had a number.
I knew that there had been technological steps but also hadn't heard of there being a wifi-x numbering system until #6.

Looks like they forgot to name Wifi-1/2/3 and started at #4.
Then retrospectively names Wifi-1/2/3 🤔

Highish overview source: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/wi-fi-routers-and-extenders/article/what-is-wi-fi-6-agTTG2Y9Jeni
Bit geekier (imo) source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/wifi-6.html
Hmm! Top depth geekiness (& where Wifi-1, etc. are finally named): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

tl;dr Wifi-6 is the current bees' knees for performance.

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Me either, what does Wi-Fi 6 do that 5 doesn’t?
It has a higher Maximum Linkrate :dance2:

I read that at the Intel link :eek:

Edit: oops let’s add a word so sense it makes

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Apache
Exp
3 years previously and now returning with new MH
I use a firestick on the C&CC sites and with their free wifi it's brilliant for accessing netflix, apple+ et al.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I knew that there had been technological steps but also hadn't heard of there being a wifi-x numbering system until #6.

Looks like they forgot to name Wifi-1/2/3 and started at #4.
Then retrospectively names Wifi-1/2/3 🤔

Highish overview source: https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/wi-fi-routers-and-extenders/article/what-is-wi-fi-6-agTTG2Y9Jeni
Bit geekier (imo) source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/wifi-6.html
Hmm! Top depth geekiness (& where Wifi-1, etc. are finally named): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

tl;dr Wifi-6 is the current bees' knees for performance.
Have a look at the TP-Link wifi 7 kit……..!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7086f
Exp
Hi kevenh don't know which Roku and can't check at moment due to van been in storage My Roku is about 5years old could be longer and yes I am a Amazon prime member

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Hi kevenh don't know which Roku and can't check at moment due to van been in storage My Roku is about 5years old could be longer and yes I am a Amazon prime member
Oh! Well, the Fire Sticks on sale now are the latest HA generation and likely an upgrade.
But Roku will also have newer devices.

I looked for comparisons. Example site
Some users like the simpler Roku interface and app range.
Then - in addition to Prime content - there are plenty of uses liking a Fire Stick for ties to Alexa and being able to side load a similar number of apps to the Roku if needed.

On my recent use of the Fire Stick I saw a Live menu populated with BBC, All4 etc. content. So I’m in the Fire Stick is best camp - and I’m not an Amazon employee anymore 👀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi Folks,
We have a Fire stick for the MH. We have used it a few times but don't watch much TV when we are away ....But... Now we have it in the house as we can no longer get ITV hub on our TV. We use the Fire Stick and watch it that way - so catching up on the few ITV programmes we missed when we were away - in the Motorhome ;)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Hi Folks,
We have a Fire stick for the MH. We have used it a few times but don't watch much TV when we are away ....But... Now we have it in the house as we can no longer get ITV hub on our TV. We use the Fire Stick and watch it that way - so catching up on the few ITV programmes we missed when we were away - in the Motorhome ;)
ITV hub is now called ITVx on my Samsung smart monitor and I promise you are missing nothing, it's slow loading and frequently buffering compared with Netflix or Prime, also all 4 on the monitor doesn't allow live tv so you have to watch via an Internet browser as a work around, I have a 4k firestick and may upgrade to the latest one as I think it's more user friendly.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Firestick are the same price in Argos and Curry’s, by from Curry’s and you get 6 months free Apple TV.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi folks, - update. We use the Firestick to watch ITV hub. As others have said - there is a great deal of buffering and freezing!
What I have discovered is, the Firestick Cache is the problem. If you go to Settings, Applications, and down to the ITV hub app, then Clear Cache. Then the Firestick works much better. I'm not sure if it cures all the problems but it really helps.

D

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi folks, - update. We use the Firestick to watch ITV hub. As others have said - there is a great deal of buffering and freezing!
What I have discovered is, the Firestick Cache is the problem. If you go to Settings, Applications, and down to the ITV hub app, then Clear Cache. Then the Firestick works much better. I'm not sure if it cures all the problems but it really helps.

D
I use this Firestick app to stop apps and clear their cache, I do this regularly
A3071EBD-C40C-445D-AF34-B0EBB97630E2.jpeg

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I use this Firestick app to stop apps and clear their cache, I do this regularly
View attachment 692229
Funny how different people use the same gadgets.
I’ll watch the video to see if there’s something I can do better but I’ve never needed to stop apps or clear caches. On the other hand, I think I’ve only loaded apps I use. 🤔

OP
OP
kevenh

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
View attachment 692229
Later, looking back at the post, I wasn’t sure if I was looking for an app or tutorial video but this link will have similar advice: https://bestdroidplayer.com/fire-tv-stick-tips/fix-amazon-firestick-slow/

It’ll be worth having a look at your installed apps - built in and ones you’ve added manually but Amazon release new system software that’ll have memory leak fixes or optimisations in memory use.

My biggest performance “tweak” was upgrading from a HD a fire stick to the 4K one (y)
That brought a much more responsive user experience - with minimal app & cache/memory management ✅

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry I was probably not clear that it was a Firestick app.
I’ve only had the 4K stick so nothing to gauge it’s performance on but I do know it works best when I slow connection area and I clear background apps

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Does it make any difference ?
Phil
We now have 3 of the 4k Firesticks in the house (not ‘Max’), the latest being a Black Friday purchase to replace an old Gen 2 Firestick in the kitchen. There is a very noticeable difference in speed/responsiveness with the 4k stick compared to that old version.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have just got a 4k max to replace my first gen 4k it's a bit quicker loading and a slightly better picture, i wouldn't have bothered at full price but as they were on offer I thought I'd give it a try.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back