Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Since the powers that be realigned the satellite providing us with UK TV programmes here in southern Spain, our choices have been severely limited.
Been looking at the various Amazon Fire Stick thingys recently but the online reviews are pretty mixed.
Any members have one?
Can you use it in France/Spain/Portugal?

Regards Bryan

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Yes you can use it in Spain.......
BUT, you must have a VPN on the router! Not on your computer, must be on the router. That is the only way that I have found to use it in Spain.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Hi

Cannot answer your question about use in Europe, but:

In the UK we have a Firestick and it works OK, but it is not being used for the purpose that it was intended for and someday Amazon may prevent it being used to run Kodi software. We also have an Android TV box, which runs the same software as the FireStick and it was designed for that purpose

I suspect that the box does not care where it is and will not need a VPN. Was given the link by a mate who uses one in Spain, but don't know his setup, we paid less for the box than the stick. Both need a bit of setup and TLC to get the best from them

Amazon product ASIN B00MBY9RXO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I cant comment on the Spain side of things but as Billy23 says you will need to hide the VPN to access things like the BBC / ITV players.. For things like KODI then maybe not an issue..

I use several around the house, great bit of kit.. Also consider the Fire box as it has more memory and helps if you have a low internet speed and can buffer a bit more..

Android boxes are all over the place and another option...

Currently have a sony tv that has android built in... So everything in one box and on one remote.. (y)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I did not realise that Kodi was installed on an Amazon supplied Firestick, thought that it needed to be side loaded

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Amazon do not supply with Kodi pre loaded.
You need to buy off a (dodgy) third party as above. There are quite a few out there.
However, most of us just do it ourselves.

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Yes you can use it in Spain.......
BUT, you must have a VPN on the router! Not on your computer, must be on the router. That is the only way that I have found to use it in Spain.
How do you get a VPN on a router? It is something I want to do, but I asked the question of one of the VPN suppliers a while ago, and was told it wasn´t possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above. It will not come from amazon pre loaded... You can get them via a third party, lots of sellers on eBay but be aware any problems with the actual stick and you won't have any warrant with Amazon..
Lots of info on the web and YouTube on how to do it..

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
How do you get a VPN on a router? It is something I want to do, but I asked the question of one of the VPN suppliers a while ago, and was told it wasn´t possible.

You can put a VPN on the router.....But not all. TP-Link I know that you can because I have done it and used it at my house in Spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back