LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Blowed if I can find the paper copy of my licence ( twas easy to keep track of when it had to be renewed every year but now !! gawd knows where it it ! )

has anyone ever had a problem using their radio gear in any CEPT countries at all ?
have you been asked for your licence for instance ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Naturally you must carry your licence otherwise anyone could claim to be a radio ham. Mine lives with my passport and travel insurance. Easy really
The EU is changing all the time do the countries who are members of CEPT also change, assuming they do could lose you your equipment.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Not sure if everyone is aware, but you can print copies of all the licences you hold from the Ofcom website after you register with them. We were always told in the courses I attended to get all three licences, that we HAD to have a paper copy of the licence available for inspection by an Ofcom official or anyone authorised by them, at any time. You have to re-register every five years - its just an admin procedure - they will email you to remind you. The CEPT membership does change from time to time and you run the risk of having equipment confiscated and languishing in a foreign jail if you fall foul of local rules.....its worth remembering that if you are "visiting" for more than three months you will need to apply to local licencing authorities. Apparently, there are still a few countries who require Morse proficiency as part of a full reciprocal licence, but CEPT signatories are all reciprocal despite the lack of morse in current full licences. :RollEyes:

For interested newcomers (Scotjim and others) I guess its also worth noting that Foundation and Intermediate Licences have NO EUROPEAN OR INTERNATIONAL recognition, so don't take radio ham equipment with you unless someone in your party has a Full Licence.......and be sure to comply with all local transmission rules as you have to do this as part of the UK licence rules anyway:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I searched high and low on their site to see if I could get a download.. many thanks fo rthe info om.. Off to do the biz right now ! ( thats if their site is back up yet ! )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And that was amazingly successfull !
A web site that worked as it should run by OffCom !! Whatever next !

Many thanks Camcondor

K

kenj

Deleted User
Do people still use the old CB radio's mobile,not used one for year's,i got bored with the idiots that used to come on and spoil thing's.

Ken

R

reader

Deleted User
I have never been asked for my licence, but as already posted you do need to carry a copy with you.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Do people still use the old CB radio's mobile,not used one for year's,i got bored with the idiots that used to come on and spoil thing's.

Ken

I have CB in the RV and I bought a hand held which can be used in the car or out walking.. also useful for reversing .. not many on these days but at least the muppets have moved on.. :RollEyes:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have CB in the RV and I bought a hand held which can be used in the car or out walking.. also useful for reversing .. not many on these days but at least the muppets have moved on.. :RollEyes:

Yes Jim, they have all taken the "anyone can pass tick and go exam" and moved onto the ham bands" Its a case of moving down to the lowest common denominator!

Doug...

K

kenj

Deleted User
Yes Jim, they have all taken the "anyone can pass tick and go exam" and moved onto the ham bands" Its a case of moving down to the lowest common denominator!

Doug...

Dont think the ham gear will be getting an airing then,i was told by my brother inlaw that the clown's had spoilt the Hull repeater that he uses. I think its called the cornflake packet license now.

Ken

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Dont think the ham gear will be getting an airing then,i was told by my brother inlaw that the clown's had spoilt the Hull repeater that he uses. I think its called the cornflake packet license now.

Ken

Just as a matter of interest, who polices the ham frequencies, what's to stop tom dick or muppet buying the kit and using without a license ?

I was interested in doing the ham license course, got as far as booking it but then had to move our site so had to cancel.. now I'm not so sure if it's that bad .. :Sad:

K

kenj

Deleted User
Just as a matter of interest, who polices the ham frequencies, what's to stop tom dick or muppet buying the kit and using without a license ?

I was interested in doing the ham license course, got as far as booking it but then had to move our site so had to cancel.. now I'm not so sure if it's that bad .. :Sad:

Policed by Ofcom,but i dont think they have the resources to do a lot these day's,that's the problem any muppet can use the band's and do in some part's of the UK. Give it a go its an interesting course and you can talk to your mate's on this forum while out and about, I did the RAE a few years ago, but never use the radio, but i am now getting some interest back so many dig the old radio out,have fun give it a go.

Ken

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

Ken

Hi Ken, I still use HF, I very much like the digi modes and the IQ zero's find that a bit to technical for them, plus of course the "key", that is still the final filter..

Doug...

Last edited:
K

kenj

Deleted User
Hi Doug,
The only down side if i used HF, is i would have to take the valve's back out of the TV for the rig. Keep meaning to buy a new TV but this one still work's, and i only paid 27/6 for it new in 1957. Do they take ham radio more seriously in Europe as opposed to UK. Is it popular with UK caravan and motorhome people while over there.

Ken

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

Hi Jim, as previously stated the amateur bands in the UK are governed by a government Quango, which basically means they do next to nothing without being told to.

Most of the policing is actually done by the hams themselves IE they will report a miscreant.

As for just buying a rig and using it with out a licence, its not a easy as it might seem, call signs are issued by the government of each country and it tells when and were the licence was issued also the tell what part of the bandwidth you are allowed to use plus how much power you are licenced to use.

My own licence GW0UXX says it was issued in Wales in 1987 (I think) and I am licenced to use all of the ham bandwidth with the maximum power permitted and all of the modes.

A call sign has to be used as its part of the regulations state that you will not communicate with a station that does not identify itself.

If one is made up or stolen its a good chance that it will be spotted by the other hams and reported and its a very simple thing to trace a radio's position, in fact tracing hidden radio's is part of the hobby for some.

But for some it is a fascinating hobby and if you are that kind of person it will give you many hours of pleasure plus, as in my case some life long friends.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back