Amalfi Coast-Italy (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Hi Guys,
Have many of you braved the drive down the west coast of Italy along the Amalfi Coast and down to Positano. I was hoping to do an 8 week trip to Italy leaving at the end of August in our new AT V Line 635.
But we have heard so many disparaging comments from other motorhomes about the state of the roads, Italian drivers, vans being broke into amongst other things, my wife is feeling a bit nervous about the trip and wants to stay in France and tour the Italian lakes. I would be very interested to hear about other funsters experiences, good or bad!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I thought it was illegal in daytime. We did it in a Corsa and that was well stressful. Quite something though. As is Sorrento where there is a good campsite.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Done it on a m/cycle 2 up but don't think I would like to take the van through!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We chose to stay at a campsite in Sorrento
Went on the bus to Positano
Had a lovely lunch in Positano then took a boat back to Sorrento

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Use the buses and ferries. Much more relaxing. And seeing the way that the buses were driven and the kamikaze scooters I would never take my motorhome on the trip.

We stopped at Sorrento but would not recommend that either. The last 5 miles were hair raising and the drive down from the road to the site was interesting. Even more interesting was the smell of burning clutch on the way back out.

Suggest you stay at sites close to Pompei and catch the train as far as the end of the line at Sorrento. Then take the bus/ferries from there to Amalfi and back.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Amalfi coast road can be done in a motorhome but I'd definitely avoid peak season when it's very busy. Full size buses use it along with trucks and all manage to pass each other but bus and water taxi probably better overall.
Positano was a nightmare when I went, got off the bus at the top and were carried down to the bottom on a sea of crowds of people. It was almost impossible to stop and look in shops or at the sights.
Spoilt it for us.
In Amalfi, get the bus up to Ravello and go in the villa Rufollo gardens, spectacular.
I recently did the coast road to Bellagio on lake Como and that was far scarier than Amalfi coast road ! Fortunately there is an inland road to use as an alternative for return journey (y)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Stayed there twice and as suggested a really convenient place to see the area. Don't forget to visit Heculanium. And go out of season!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you want to get anywhere in Italy use the motorways, it can be slow going otherwise. We had an alarm fitted after our first trip there as I didn't feel comfortable leaving the MH in a few supermarkets while we shopped - but nothing happened and I don't think the risk of break-in is any worse than elsewhere. Just take the usual precautions and keep valuables in a little safe. :)

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
I did drive down the west coast if Italy as far as Reggio Calabria all on side roads in a single decker bus but that was in 1976 would i go again now in a motorhome probably not.
Bill

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Echo one of the above suggestions, park at a site in Pompei get train then boat trip along the coast beautiful
Road looked busy and getting to one of the Stops always looked congested
Relax on the boat take swim and enjoy. As far as security in Italy found no problems at all.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A few years ago we used the handy local buses to travel along the Amalfi coast road, going as far as Salerno. I echo what was said about the suicidal scooterists. Quite bonkers, all of them. It was also noticeable that with few exceptions the Italian cars in the towns had multiple dents and scrapes. They don't seem too bothered! Every bus journey had some exciting moments.

My recollection is that MHs are permitted but in one direction only (but which one??). We did see a few MHs using the coast road when we went on the bus. Very brave of them. While we were there the local news reported that a tourist coach had crashed, but there were only minor injuries (and it hadn't plunged off the cliff). You might imagine that teetering coach at the end of The Italian Job but it probably was less dramatic.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I drove Amalfi 10y ago, clockwise in a (hire) car. WRONG DECISION!

We were hemmed against the cliff face and views of the sea were limited. (But at least we couldn't fall into the sea.) Door steps protrude into the road so there is every chance of tyre damage as you squeeze into the side.

Traffic was horrendous, with buses hurtling around corners (and there were lots of them) with blaring horns or, worse IMO, no notification and not every corner had a mirror to enhance visibility.

Scooterists, as stated, drive with bravado and a desire for suicide or heavy insurance payouts.

A friend who is a total petrol-head, owning powerful cars here in UK and enjoying track days in his sportscar, took his hire-car back after 2hours.

CATCH THE BUS!

Gordon

I'm sure I saw a sign banning MHs, but it was 10y ago so I can't remember the details .

Reactions: DBK
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Even the northern Italians hate driving in the south!
Good advice about staying in Pompeii area. The Vesuviana train which is crude, cheap and runs regularly between Sorrento and Naples is fantastic.
Definitely visit Herculaneum and also the Archeological museum in Naples which, as well as being a beautiful building with lovely courtyards, houses all the artefacts found in Pompeii.
The other fabulous trip from Naples (OK by MH or train from Naples) is Paestum to see the Greek temples ... and so refreshing after the hustle and bustle of the west coast.
The Amalfi coast will be better out of season. It was too crowded to enjoy in early July. We took boat from Sorrento.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
Don’t think driving Amalfi coast would be worth it. We took a service bus ride in a southerly direction. Managed to get seat on coast side. Hairy at times. Took ferry back to campsite. Views a bit limited.
Also did Cinque Terre coastal villages by train, and ferry back. Terrific in June but still very busy. Views spoilt by other people’s heads.
Drove south to Alborabello and Trulli houses. Roads not brilliant, and scenery patchy. Further south we went more industrial it was.
Won’t go that far again, will go as far as Tuscany.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back