Am I turning into Victor Meldrew? (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Just back from a week in the depths of Cornwall at a campsite. I can only liken it to spending a week parked in a school playground :eek: Impossible to get any peace due to the amount of kids running around like lunatics with as far as we could see, no parental control whatsoever. :madder:
Suppose it serves me right for booking, but I thought the little darlings would still be at School?

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
Simbadog, your post really struck a cord with us, as we are currently on a wonderful site just outside Littleport, Cambs and alongside the River Ouse. It's an adults only site, and the owner doesn't even allow children in here as visitors ! It's as quiet as quiet can be.........absolute bliss. Adults only is the answer. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Adults only near the Ouse
Manor Farm
Chris Knowles
Middlethorpe, Bishopthorpe Road, York, YO23 2QA
01904 653163

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just back from a week in the depths of Cornwall at a campsite. I can only liken it to spending a week parked in a school playground :eek: Impossible to get any peace due to the amount of kids running around like lunatics with as far as we could see, no parental control whatsoever. :madder:
Suppose it serves me right for booking, but I thought the little darlings would still be at School?

you should have asked them about the fines for missing school in their area

they were unlikely to ask you round for drinks any way I would guess :D

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Simba .... they would have been foreigners from up north with them short people.
schools have only just broken up down here in the main.
Better half is a teacher so any break away is away from them .... and I like peace and calm ......

and lots of wine:)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I'm having the same problem right now and only reinforces why I dislike campsites ,currently on a site in france in "St question en tourmont" in lille ....there's what I can only describe as a rave still ongoing at 11.20 ...i wish my french was better as the owner of the site would get an earful , only came in to a site tonight as we catch ferry from calais first thing Friday morning so probably park at dock tommorrow night and the other half wanted a shower and a chilled BBQ etc

The sign outside said €15 for van and 2 ..We somehow got charged €18.40 with no electric by a half cut french man ....sited us 3 spaces from the park full of noisy kids...shower tokens €1 gives you 7 minutes of hell with water going of every 2 seconds hoards of young lads charging in and out of shower block throwing things around and banging doors, disco started at 9 pm and is still going ...meanwhile owner/warden is siting getting pissed with a group of guys outside his office didn't seem the least bit concerned when I tried to tell him kids were trashing the shower block

If I didn't have a BBQ still lit I'd be off

Give me wild camping anytime

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Incidentally that rave/disco I mentioned is still going on at 1 pm and shows no sign of stopping soon

Thank god for trip advisor as I've just left them a lovely review

Officially the worst site I've ever been on

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
you should have asked them about the fines for missing school in their area

they were unlikely to ask you round for drinks any way I would guess :D
It was half term in Devon last week, probably the same elsewhere. So if you want it quiet, especially by the sea, avoid school holidays and half-terms.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think adults get to a campsite open the cage and let the little buggers out till its time to go home, last week-end I had tell off a load of lads who where running around with water blaster s in and out of toilet block- which I clean !! Gree

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I think adults get to a campsite open the cage and let the little buggers out till its time to go home, last week-end I had tell off a load of lads who where running around with water blaster s in and out of toilet block- which I clean !! Gree

That`s it! Pull up with the MH ,kick the kids out, hook up , get out beer.(y) Then--

Wait for all the Victor Meldrews in the area to come out of hiding with faces like thunder,and say to the Mrs, "Look dear , there`s a grumpy old sod over there"

These new fangled water blasters are complicated to fill for kids, so i usually do the filling up while my little soldiers go off and squirt other louder kids and the odd miserable moaner.

It`s just like Gaza there at times, don`t know how campers can possibly put up with it.

Maybe next time i`ll tie them up , give them orders to ,---- Sit down ,be quiet,don`t move don`t run, just like those older folks over there:D

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Were on a campsite in St Ives loads of kids good fun watching them must admit they are well behaved

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I think I might understand...

Kids running around a campsite making some noise when excited to be on holiday?

Bad, uncontrolled behaviour...

Sitting down in silence reading a proper book or playing chess?

Good, decent behaviour. :rofl:

JJ :cooler:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It's not Cornwall but I can recommend a lovely site at Ipplepen near Newton Abbot. Beautifully kept site, owned by very friendly couple.
And it's adults only.

I can sympathise. I was a teacher for 25 years, still don't like kids much.

Greetings,

Would that be the small one run by a Fireman, (or the other two large ones)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You are talking to much sense lately JJ I must be running out of "likes". Generally people as they get older have short memories. All the memories of camping when my kids were young were of the freedom to play make friends and do things that they cant do in hotels and the like. My kids used to make friends make a load of noise and have a ball doing things that kids love to do. There were Victor Meldrews then too of course who use to tell them to pi$$ off but they always thought that was great fun. I remember in Norfolk at Kelling Heath site my youngest who was only about seven at the time yet always a bit of a herbert, went off with the site managers son on their bikes. Gone for hours, we were getting a bit concerned when they returned holding a gift of a bag of fresh carrots they had dug up from a farmers field. Would have been a shame to waste them.(y)
If you get fed up with the noise Victor just tell them to pi$$ of, that will bring a smile to their faces.:D

Reactions: JJ
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Some days I can make Victor Meldrew look like the most mild-mannered, understanding person on the planet

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One might argue that the more isolated children are allowed to become from the older generation (ie mobile phones, iPods, video gaming, online 'social' networking, 24/7 multi-channel TV on demand) the less likely it is they're going to be able to relate to older people or follow their fine upstanding example. If older people ignore children, where are they supposed to get their examples from? Each other? Left completely to their own devices many kids will turn into little fascists - look at teenage gang culture.

The other bit of campsite behaviour hypocrisy I love is the "Right children, you go off to the play area on your own and play nicely while the Mummies and Daddies get pissed around the barbeque and swap dirty jokes."

When we were camping abroad we always hoped there'd be Dutch kids on the play area - not because Dutch kids are any better behaved, but because they could teach our kids how to speak proper English. ;)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I take a certain amount of pride in being a 'grumpy old man' and I do sometimes (okay, often) moan about noisy kids running about the site shouting.

But, we mustn't forget we were all young once and cut the youngster a bit of slack. If you go to a campsite in the school holidays there will always be kids about. So long as they have at least some parental supervision I think we will have to live and let live.

Paul

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
That`s it! Pull up with the MH ,kick the kids out, hook up , get out beer.(y) Then--

Wait for all the Victor Meldrews in the area to come out of hiding with faces like thunder,and say to the Mrs, "Look dear , there`s a grumpy old sod over there"

These new fangled water blasters are complicated to fill for kids, so i usually do the filling up while my little soldiers go off and squirt other louder kids and the odd miserable moaner.

It`s just like Gaza there at times, don`t know how campers can possibly put up with it.

Maybe next time i`ll tie them up , give them orders to ,---- Sit down ,be quiet,don`t move don`t run, just like those older folks over there:D

These new water blasters ( we used to have feeble little water pistols back in the day) are great. The range they can fire is amazing. However when playing with my young lads, I found I had to get an even bigger one with even longer range and 2 litre magazine, as I'm not as fast as I used to be which gives my lads a distinct advantage.

It can fire about 30m +, so you can squirt at the grumpy old Victors, as you hide commando style behind a parked van or caravan, and the Victors have no idea where it came from :rolleyes::rolleyes:..... if you are really lucky, they get such a fright they even spill their Pimms...:whistle::whistle:

As said, kids on summer holiday, running round, making noise and having Fun, heaven forbid! Why should the kids have all the Fun. I'm just glad my boys let me join in.

Victor would be still moaning if he walked past and the boys were quiet, head down in their iPads, occasionally grunting to show they are still alive...... Victor would be saying look at those children, with their head stuck in these new fangled gadgets the whole day, unbelievable.... it was not like that when I was a lad, .......however how does he know?
Victor can't even remember when he was a lad, didn't the kids sweep chimneys for Fun back then.....

The youth of today....."I don't believe it!"

;);)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back