Am I too young for motor homing?? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
I'm 72 today, and stated motorhoming in May last year after an inheritance allowed me to buy my 1st van. Used to caravan with the kids when they were small, but hated towing an old van!
I'm really enjoying the PVC life and love driving it and making new friends! But grandchildren do take up some of my life.......and that's wonderful,too.

Happy Birthday??

Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
image.jpeg

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Do it when you can afford to do it. We did it when we had 3 kids and 2 dogs with us . we found the motorhome much easier than the previous caravans. They loved it as much as us. Whilst their friends were stuck at home , or training then playing a match for an hour on a Saturday, hanging about shopping centres with parents etc. We were away Friday to Sunday, usually in a field somewhere. We’ve never liked big campsites. Out walking exploring the chosen area. With the kids climbing trees, making dens, building dams in streams (and not coming out till they were blue with cold usually) enjoying the outdoor lifestyle.
Your a long time dead and you never know what’s around the corner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Good evening,
Me and the missus are in the MH near Toulouse as we are heading down to Spain for the winter sun for the next 4 months. We are both 53. Having a few glasses of wine in the van as after 4pm and France has shut down (we love France)

We are are having a good natured discussion/ argument about the right age to retire and enjoy the motorhome. I say now is good why we have our health and can do it. The OH believes it is for people of a certain age. To be fair to the boss, most people we have seen on our travels in a motorhome are 60+.

No offence meant but what are your views to settle this one?

I am 34 and on my third motorhome!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Just go for it and enjoy your retirement.

Every day lived is a day you won't get back so do something that puts a smile on your face.

Good luck (y)

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Must have won the the lottery. We found a restaurant open in France at 9pm. The wine was spot on the food not so.

Your comments are food for thought. To be honest they have made me sit up and consider what is most important in life. Onwards and upwards!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
i would retire now, if i had the income to support my hobbies, which sadly is never happening, due to the fact that the money i needed to have been putting in a pension, has been spent on said hobbies.

If i could have all of that money back, and put it to my pension, rather than waste it going round in circles quickly ( or not so quickly) since 1975, so i could stop now, i wouldnt swap.

Do stuff while you can, the window between kids leaving home, and parents needing looking after can be really small.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
we sold up when I was 59 , turned the key on the Garage door never looked in the mirror on our car when we drove off , never missed work , never been bored, go for it as soon as you can "You are a long time dead " . Retiring and Motor homing is like house down sizing do it while you can, do it before you can't , (old or decrepit :smiley: !!)

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wish we could have done it at your age. We’re in our 60’s and are lucky to be fit and healthy. Seriously, it’s a beautiful way to travel and gives you an ‘up close and personal’ feel about where you’re visiting in a way no other type of package holiday can emulate. See ‘Wandering Bird’ on YouTube or ‘Our Tour’ for great examples of the challenges a younger mindset can achieve. Remember, you never know what’s round the corner so just go for it!! Good luck.

May 23, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Competent, sometimes.
We both lost our jobs in 2015 aged 54 and 49. We already had planned our escape having bought our Hymer so the decision was partially made for us. Apart from having family, it was the best thing that has happened to us. . We love our van and the life it gives us. Any doubts we had about retiring have long gone. People do tell us we are too young to retire, so we now say we are on a gap year.

MaxineW

Free Member
Feb 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Newbie since March 2019
I'm under 40 and the other half is under 50 and we're about to join the gang. Not retiring yet but taking a year out and then will work flexibley. I want to do as much as possible now whilst we are fit and our parents are all healthy too.
We’re just about to do the same, both in our 50th year so decided to say F@#k it and take an adult gap year and enjoy life on the road then come back and find new jobs/somewhere to live etc..... can’t wait!

Hercs74

Free Member
Aug 21, 2019
Essex.
Funster No
MH
Researching
Exp
I’m 45 and my wife is 47. We have just purchased a new MH. For us it has nothing to do with age or retirement. We have decided to have lots of shorter holidays, the ability to just go away on a Ad hoc basis. Much of the world to see, explore and experience and good for the kids.. Then when we retire in 10 years we can fit even longer and more frequently

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Currently in Palamós. Weather good and fantastic beach/location. Decided to stay a few days and chill. Only problem is that we have seen a Morelo Palace on site. They have room to store a Smart car in their rear garage. This must be fate as we have a Smart car!
You can imagine the OH’s face when I broached the subject of an upgrade

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I wish I was in your position and able to retire so no you are not to young you are very fortunate to be able to so just enjoy it while you can I’m 66 and still need to work on at least another 2years but still enjoy the 3 weeks holiday each year so good luck for the many years you have ahead of you
No one should have to work beyond state retirement, see a decent financial planner who does cash flow planning they should be able to help you.

Dec 1, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Marano
Exp
I’m a newbie
Go for it I am 81 my hubby 71 and we just got back from a months tour in the U.K. from Exeter as far as Whitby Bridlington north Lincolnshire Nottingham and a few more I have had a heart attack and by pass op. I am diabetic and have just had two major operations in one spending 5 days in icu and 3 months in hospital but will never give up want to exchange our Ivaco auto cruise to an island bed so will need to get looking hard never say die God bless all you funsters

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I have just turned 50 and my wife is 44 and we are both retiring in January

I am a strong believer that I want to enjoy my freedom whilst still young enough to enjoy it, obviously money and way of life will come into it luckily for me we can afford to retire at this time.
If you can do it then go for it like they say
"One life live it"

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I retired at 55 and wife at 50, that was 20 years ago and have never regretted the decision, just go for it or you will waken one day and find that time has passed you by ??????? :cycle:

Alan Pickering

Free Member
Oct 23, 2019
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey 745
Exp
I’m a newbie
If you can afford to retire just do it, I packed last Xmas at 62 and don’t know where the time has gone, we have no mortgage and basic standing orders, you will be amazed what you actually live on without scrimping.
We have just bought our first ever MH and heading to Spain in January, you won’t regret it.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Definitely not. It’s just backpacking in more comfort. Start anytime you like. It’s of families doing on the continent.

I sort of retired at 36. I consider myself privileged to have been able to do so. I still have a young child, so I look like a stay at home mum, but retired is what I am, really. I love it. Were it not for school, we’d be off all the time. I intend to take off in the rig and travel in as many ways as possible, as much as possible, just as soon as it’s barely practical to do so.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We bought our first coachbuilt in 1988 when I was in my early 30’s. When I rang the dealer to arrange a viewing he commented on me sounding too young to buy a motorhome! Mind you, most British built motorhomes, ( and the older Euro vans,) up until a few years ago were full of dusky pink velour, lampshades and tie back curtains, clearly aimed at the older generations.

We both retired in our mid 50’s and bought a new motorhome. The U.K. built vans now seem to losing the retirement home look and becoming more like the European models which have been aimed to appeal to the young and old for years

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
So many more families in MHs on the continent. I was surprised, having been away in the MH here, and camped with almost exclusively retired couples (not intentionally, but with the words ‘bus at the gate’ in the description, we MHs do tend to end up congregating there) even in the school hols. Lovely on the continent to be with so many families, albeit breifly and in pidgon English.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back