Am I too young for motor homing?? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The only reservation I have to this, is retire and have fun as soon as you can, but when you have had a year or two at it don't be afraid to get back and do a bit of work to keep yourself in the loop, I have done it three times now and don't regret a minute.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Your never too young, ? we got our first motorhome in 2007, I was 50 and Janie was 42, ? many of the older motorhomers were not that old when they started. ?
Our eldest daughter 34 has a camper, and her sister did a self build in her mid 20's but unfortunately is into motorcycles, but wrote it off on Friday the 13th, ? so who knows what the next move is, ? but when they are home owners, self employed and over 30 ? you can't say much. ? Ex biker Bob.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bought our first motorhome when I was 40 and other half was 38, now 52 and 50. When we first started I think Motorhoming was generally older folk but we've seen that change over the years with more families getting in to it.

I'd say go when you can afford to, we plan to go when Lorraine reaches 55. I might go at 55 and do something on my own while waiting for Lorraine to retire 18 months later.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I’m 55. The other half is 52. We packed in April this year and France, spain , Portugal since. Been to a few early funerals and acquaintances falling ill far to early in life. Gotta do it when you’re fit and energetic enough.

Yorkshire Puds

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2020 Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2002
Go for it, I’m 50 in January and bought my old Moho when I was 39. semi retirement coming up and fully retired at 55 is the plan.

It’s brilliant to be able to get in from work on a Friday tea time and literally just go. We switched to a caravan a few years back and regretted it as it wasn’t as easy to just go when and where we liked.
53 is prime to start enjoying the freedom that a motor home brings.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Having been diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago I had to give up work but have enjoyed the time between operation ,chemo and have travelled in the MH and went to Spain last Feb and March.
The wonderful funster friends we have met have been so supportive so if I can still travel living with cancer I say go for it!
You can always go back to work if you need to after your adventures!!
B75F520B-8A88-42D1-A935-6D6018156371.jpeg

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have motorhomed and caravanned for most of my life. We went away for weekends when I was working and when I was badly injured in a car crash we semi retired. Then after a bit of good luck managed to fully retire. Nobody knows what the future holds, so live your life the way you want to

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The only reservation I have to this, is retire and have fun as soon as you can, but when you have had a year or two at it don't be afraid to get back and do a bit of work to keep yourself in the loop, I have done it three times now and don't regret a minute.
Pretty well what I did. Quit work due to stress the first time but fell back into the marine business as it felt like unfinished business. Actually enjoying work as I know I can quit any time (and if they quit me, I’m not bothered).

The response above is overwhelming - you are never too young. One of my friends in the F-4 phantom group has bought a Green goddess to convert. Same age as MANGOFORTH (y)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
As I've got older and having worked away from home for almost half my working life, I now realise what I've missed. There is never a more truer saying than "Life is Short". if you can afford it and are not governed by pension maturity dates, retire as soon as you want. if it doesn't work out your still young enough to rejoin the rat race. As I've found out for myself, having a Motorhome parked in the drive is all the incentive required for enjoying life to the full. Having not used the MoHo since returning from Spain in October and, today being rather nice we decided to take a day trip to Aldeburgh, fish & chips overlooking the beach, life couldn't be better. We parked in front of a lovely old classic Fiat based MoHo, someone's pride & Joy no doubt.

Attachments

• Aldeburgh Nov 2019.JPG
    Aldeburgh Nov 2019.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 55
Aug 27, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Nuevo called Mabel
Exp
newbie learning fast and sometimes the hard way
I was going to wait until I retired before I bought the MH, I'm 56, but thought what the hell, spend it now before the government starts to take it from you, or the kids tap me up for a loan. Going to spend a few years getting to know the ropes and then when i retire at 60 will be ready for the big adventures going where I want, when I want and do whatever I want.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Thankfully hubby had option of early retirement, little pension( bless him) got our used hymer, hubby carried on working, I work 2 jobs, we both in our early 50s, live the life you have, if your lucky enough to have the opportunity, take it!, ( as we all have no doubt experienced loss of anyone dear to us) enjoy and make a memory. :clap:

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
I'm not 60 yet and spent months sorting and organising so my husband could retire early.
At this time of year you will meet older retired motorhomers I suppose because most younger people can't afford it. In the summer it will vary more.
One thing I have been wondering is, - we have met quite a few 80 somethings, still motorhoming,( after 40 odd years) does that suggest the lifestyle, for some, is an elixer of life?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
After many years tent camping, in 2014 at 50 and 51 whilst still working we went down the mobile tin tent route. House rule was that it had to be used for at least a weekend every month and at least three weeks away on holidays. If we wanted something to sit on the drive unused we would have bought a garden gnome.

We set off on our new adventure and had great fun for the first couple of years, then our progress was interrupted when Mrs Wack was diagnosed with cancer, a year of chemotherapy and radiotherapy and a ongoing course of immunotherapy which ends next January, provided a new perspective on what we wanted out of life.

So in September I stopped work at 56, in readiness first for this the previous year we bought our "forever(?!)" motorhome. Already enjoyed a lot of time away in it and looking forward to even more.

So my advice is the same as others here, you don't know what the future has planned for you, do it.

Jun 27, 2019
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline B600
Exp
I'm 72 today, and stated motorhoming in May last year after an inheritance allowed me to buy my 1st van. Used to caravan with the kids when they were small, but hated towing an old van!
I'm really enjoying the PVC life and love driving it and making new friends! But grandchildren do take up some of my life.......and that's wonderful,too.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Use the time you have wisely as all The money in the world can’t buy more time ?

That is a VERY apt and wise comment!

My good lady and I are hoping to make the escape some time soon and get out of the rat race that while bringing us sufficient income to be comfortable, also brings us sufficient stress to be unhappy and unrewarded (if not frazzled)!

A simpler and more rewarding life beckons.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We got our first camper when I was 32, hubby was 37, we've had campers/MHs or some sort ever since although we now go away for up to 2 months at a time ... other stuff permitting!

Hubby retired 2 months shy of his 52nd birthday, I retired a little under 3 months before my 49th birthday, we'd planned and saved for it for a long, long time so that we had enough in the pot to live off until hubby could take his work reduced pension which he got at 60.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your not too young, most of those on here are recycled teenager, especially when you see some of the posts. ??
Now that's not fair ... we're nearer mid-20s as we can give more than one word answers!

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
I'm 72 today, and stated motorhoming in May last year after an inheritance allowed me to buy my 1st van. Used to caravan with the kids when they were small, but hated towing an old van!
I'm really enjoying the PVC life and love driving it and making new friends! But grandchildren do take up some of my life.......and that's wonderful,too.

happy birthday for today. Hope you’ve had fun.

:birthday: :party2:

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I'm 56 and plan to retire early next year. You're never too young to enjoy life.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
If you are able to do this in your fifties go for it, we started doing it when we were that age, (had a VW bay window for years before buying a big motorhome)
had same questions asked of us as well, most folk think that you must be retired, no mortgage and no kids at home !
Things all changed now and as far as I am concerned it is for the good !!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hope you’ve had a very Happy Birthday!:birthday:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back