LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
The rich don't mess with motorhomes. They use hotels.
My way of thinking is to live within your means. If you over-stretch on something, you may not be able to keep up the pace.

There seems to be a lot of Motorhomes on the road that are £200k bracket, they seem to prefer their Motorhome than mess about with hotels, If I had unlimited means my choice would still be a Motorhome.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
There seems to be a lot of Motorhomes on the road that are £200k bracket, they seem to prefer their Motorhome than mess about with hotels, If I had unlimited means my choice would still be a Motorhome.
It's all personal choice. Motorhome v hotel, site fees v pub/CL/CS. Prices are down to market forces, supply and demand so you pay if you want it enough or move on if you don't or can't afford.
After a lifetime managing hotels and earning the wherewithal to afford a comfortable retirement we were swapping sunbeds and sights around the world but wanted longer holidays going where we want when we wanted.
Hence the Mhome. Sometimes we go on sites, mainly dependant on location, sometimes aires/Cl's.

Similarly, sometimes we go for a pub meal and others we frequent a good restaurant.It's our money and we choose how we spend it. There's no point denying yourrself what you want if you can afford it. Equally there's no point throwing it away even if you can.
No one's right or wrong on this - it's down to the individual- and YES, I'm a Yorkshireman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
The rich don't mess with motorhomes. They use hotels.
My way of thinking is to live within your means. If you over-stretch on something, you may not be able to keep up the pace.

I enjoy motor-homing. I also enjoy Hotels. Two different types of holiday. Just because I have a MH I'm not going to stop using hotels sometimes for a different kid of holiday.

And just because I could afford £35 for a campsite doesn't mean I would. The old saying, 'look after the pennies.....'

I was brought up in a very poor family. I've worked hard to enjoy the money I have now. I'm not going to waste it by not looking for value for money. I like to use it for things I really think it's worth.

For some a MH may be a one off expensive purchase from an investment/inheritance pension lump sum. It can be a good way of ensuring lots of cheaper holidays. Spending £35 a night for somewhere to park negates that benefit.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Circumstances can also make a difference. Obviously COVID19 has been a major influence but we also chose to buy a house (remortgage) for my daughter due to her medical condition which is severely affected by anxiety, and part fund my BIL during his furlough. This made us look again at our finances and still wanting to travel in the motorhome, and mainly use sites, we cut out our £150 per month media package and cut down on other expenses. We could have looked more at CLs and free camping but like to feel secure and now tow a car. Everyone has reason for their choices and, apart from stealing electricity, I would support them all.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Those for whom £35/n is too much should be prudent enough to check before they book.
There's no obligation to use 'expensive' sites but demand is likely to be high at the moment, so expect prices to rise rather than fall.
Sites probably have a large deficit to recover. Their mission is profit, even though they may suggest it is your enjoyment.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Our toilet cassette is ready for emptying after 2 days , so how do people get rid if they are not on site ? .Also there is grey and bagged waste to be disposed of

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
it was a site run by the MCCC, which I thought was a members club not a commercial set up. The price they quoted was £34.50 Per night and of course we could not stay as we not members which we could have joined at £54.

Colyboy
Do you mean the C&MC (Caravan and Motorhome Club) they have a pop up site in that area.
ezee

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It all depends on budget.
I am surprised that any site fee is of significance to those with an expensive van.
I'm amazed there are people who think like you?
My way of thinking is to live within your means.
Which means I'll have to top myself as not enough income?
Sites probably have a large deficit to recover.
& the rest have not been affected?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just for something to do while it has been raining I thought I would have a look at random holidays from our local airport, must say I was amazed.
Including flights and hotel and breakfast, some are less than £150 each for a week .
Broken Link Removed

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
For me its :-
motorhome=adventure
hotel=holiday…………cos i like to relax and let someone else cook&clean
so i like both