Feb 7, 2021
France
Funster No
MH
semi-integral
Exp
On & off since 1995
Hi all,

Just joined your forum mostly to ask some questions as I don't believe I'm the only one in this situation.

We've had a couple of campervans over the years and as we have a dog (a border collie) always find a campervan a bit cramped and lacking in floor space.
At home I regularly do yoga and I don't see why I should have to give it up when we go away in the camper (mostly out of the summer months when it's cooler for the dog).
So we thought we'd get a bigger camper (max 7m) either a semi-integral or a full integral.
But all the manufactures seem to copy similar layouts, none of them do a layout with more floor and dog friendly.
I can draw up several suitable floor plans in a few minutes but no manufactures are interest (yes, I've tried contacting them).

Now like most good dog owners, we don't fancy our dog getting launched through the windscreen if we have an accident.
In our day-to-day vehicle he always travels in a suitable car cage which is anchored down.
Why does no motorhome manufacturer think about this? We certainly see many motorhomes with just 2 people and a dog in them.
I really don't want a 3rd or 4th travel seat but it seems I can't easily remove them the put in a dog cage.

I've considered a DIY conversion but where do I get a semi-integral empty shell as the van based conversion is too narrow for us.

We're now looking to buy a Challenger 260 Graphite and adapt the garage to form a dog cage.

Thoughts?

R

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you are ok with dog travelling in the garage---- some do)---- that makes your job easy----- but I dont think your yoga would work very well in there ??
šŸ˜„
Welcome by the wayšŸ˜Š

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Many have removeable tables that you can put in the garage, freeing up floor space (y)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from chilly Ciren!ā„ļø(y)

We have four dogs, 2 small (5kg) and two medium (10kg), and have a 7m Elddis Majestic 155. I assume you need more floor space perhaps? Our ā€˜van has four travel seats, but two of them (under the front lounge seats) are fairly easy to remove, and we could put a crate in the gap......our dogs are tethered when we travel, but not crated. What sort of layout would/have you designed - a drawing would help, if possible?:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Richard974

Free Member
Feb 7, 2021
France
Funster No
MH
semi-integral
Exp
On & off since 1995
Thanks all,

With the electric drop down 1.6 x 2m bed fully lowered to 80cm from ground it gives a good platform for yoga.
I then put an inflatable gymnastics mat on the bed on which to do yoga :)

Yeap, more floor space for dog to sprawl and less fixed seats and cupboards. Really we just need a large box with a shower, toilet, kitchen area and an electric drop-down bed. No cupboards or extra seating.
We'd have the front swivel seats to sit in and "stuff" carried in stackable crates strapped in place.

OP
OP
R

Richard974

Free Member
Feb 7, 2021
France
Funster No
MH
semi-integral
Exp
On & off since 1995
horsebox, oh yes, if only I could convert one and keep it under 3.5T (due to driving license restrictions)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have two border collies. We have removed the large and heavy table and replaced it with a removable one so more floor space and the dogs have harnesses attached to the spare seat belt buckles in the rear. One prefers to lie on his bed, the other goes on a seat so she can see out of the windows.

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
welcome-frog.gif

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks all,

With the electric drop down 1.6 x 2m bed fully lowered to 80cm from ground it gives a good platform for yoga.
I then put an inflatable gymnastics mat on the bed on which to do yoga :)

Yeap, more floor space for dog to sprawl and less fixed seats and cupboards. Really we just need a large box with a shower, toilet, kitchen area and an electric drop-down bed. No cupboards or extra seating.
We'd have the front swivel seats to sit in and "stuff" carried in stackable crates strapped in place.
so what you describe is a converted box van and would struggle to get registered into the motorhome tax class, as it will remain a goods vehicle carrying boxes. Perfectly do-able as a conversion but impossible to get re-registered

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Hand welcome from Corby have you thought about an ex ambulance im sure they will have plenty of lighting to save on some of the conversion time and imagine the fun the dogs will have with all those different smells

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Some time ago I saw self build van conversion with a rear bed with two dog cages under it. The owners showed collies, fly ball I think.
It did restrict the amount of storage under the bed but it meant the dogs were safe en route and could be let into the van without going out side.
I have the problem with securing our dog on route. Because our motorhome is a rear lounge there are only the front seat belts to fasten him to. He dosnt mind because he can sit on his mat between the seats but we have to step over him to get in the back.
I am thinking of putting a lashing eye on to the seat frame. He isnā€™t a very heavy dog.

Jul 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
They do seem to be built to get the max number of beds in.ours is a six berth it would some kind of special help to have 4 extra bodies travelling with us lol.I would like a 2 berth in the same size ,less seats more usable space

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We had a large table which could accommodate au to 7 to 8 people but with only 2 of us removed the table and where we had a bit of seating to allow 4 travel seats I made a small table big enough for the 2 of us to fit into that space so frees up the front

4ADD9D4C-CD95-4D68-A8D1-1B0753D6DF23.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back